Some things you can't remember, and others you CAN'T FORGET

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

oldsmiley
United States of America

Some things you can't remember, and others you CAN'T FORGET

Post by oldsmiley »

Sorry if this offends anyone, but when an OLD memory pops back into my noggin (especially one as memorable as this one) I just had to tell it before it left my mind again and NEVER returned.

I've not been on here too long but I have been around Slicks and other ford Trucks for most of my life, 36 years of it anyway. There seems to be some pretty DIE HARD, and dedicated F-100 owners on here from what I've seen, but let me tell you of a dedicated spirit like I've never seen in another man.

I met this guy at the F-100 Super Nationals about 20 years ago. His name was Jackie, and by the time you read all this, some of you may know him. I just can't remember (or really don't know if he had ever told me) what his last name was. Anyway he had a slick and attended a lot of the Super National events. One year he lost his job where he had quite a bit of Seniority (which gave him the freedom of being able to take off for just about ALL the F-100 events). He had quickly gotten another job, and unfortunately had a work related injury where he had literally CRUSHED his hand (I think it was forklift related) but it actually flattened 2-3 of his fingers. As time went on, he had many Dr. visits where they tried to get his use back in them, but nothing worked.

The Dr. mentioned several times about amputating the fingers but he didn't want to hear it. A couple of months later he requested time off to attend the F-100 Super Nationals. His request was denied because it was a new job and he had not been there a full year yet, so no vacation time was earned yet. He was NOT a happy camper.....
With the wheels in his head turning to try and work it out, he called his Dr. He asked the Dr. that if he considered the amputation of the flattened fingers, how long would he be out if work. The Dr. told him at least 4 maybe 6 weeks. With that said, 4 weeks before Super Nationals, his fingers were amputated, and he was able to attend the F-100 show, with no lost time from work. It's still hard to believe even today, but he DID say, he'd never miss a show.

Anyone else on here AS dedicated as my friend Jackie?
grump

Re: Some things you can't remember, and others you CAN'T FOR

Post by grump »

That is dedication to the Nth degree. I totally understand the memory situation.
mercuryv8
Canada

Re: Some things you can't remember, and others you CAN'T FOR

Post by mercuryv8 »

That's a great story... LoL

When life gives you lemons...