Engine possibilities for a 64

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

gpetry

Engine possibilities for a 64

Post by gpetry »

First post here. Recently picked up a 64 short bed. Truck is in pieces, but body and bed are rock solid. Trying to decide exactly how I want to build and have a couple of questions. I’m learning toward the flat out engineering suspension to get the stance and handling I’m after. Not sure which way to go engine wise - the truck was originally a 6 cylinder, but the previous owner put in a speedway motors engine mount kit and a 289. Never completed, so don’t know if it was done correctly or not. Since Ive always been a Chevy guy, was wondering which ways I could go engine wise with the flat out suspension. Am I correct that any small block or FE motor will work? Will the coyote bolt up to the 289 mounts or is there a different motor mount kit to use? I’ve done an LS Chevy into a Toyota landcruiser, so I’m familiar with and comfortable with the wiring challenges. Like the idea of the coyote, but looking for some knowledgeable input on the best engine choice for street power (350-450 hp) and reliability
bruceandersson

Re: Engine possibilities for a 64

Post by bruceandersson »

One great feature of our slicks is that the engine compartment is big enough to fit almost any engine you could consider. I do not know about the coyote engine having the same mount points as the earlier small blocks. This engine is so much larger due to the overhead cams, that most conversions completely replace the front suspension along the way. Engine control is not an issue, there are many kits for this. I'd look at getting the engine specific mounts with the suspension kit you install. Good luck and please keep us informed.
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

I know nothing about Flat Out Engineering but it seems the CV swap is very popular, keeps it all Ford, and is likely a lot cheaper. Also the engine mounts are for a 4.6 so likely a Coyote or a 5.4 would bolt in with the same mounts. Something to research.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
gpetry

Post by gpetry »

Yes I have looked at the CV swap and it is a possibility. However, my understanding is that the track of the CV is wider than the stock F100 which means that you need to use some low or negative offset wheels up front. The Flat-out kit is certainly more expensive, but is not bad. It uses the older C4 corvette suspension which is plentiful, strong and handles well, like a Corvette. The kit is around $2450 for front and rear including coil over shocks and used 84-96 Corvette front and rear suspensions including diff are under 2k. Track width is slightly narrower than stock F100, so a deeper dish wheel can be used. So, more than a CV, but much less than porterbuilt or No Limits setups. The Dakota swap kits are also out there, but I don't think that the Dakota or CV swaps will handle anywhere close to the Flat Out, Porterbuilt, or No Limits setups.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

I am partial to the FE but the small block and mod engines have more transmission options that aren't that expensive.
Chris