'63 Custom Cab Trim Piece Removal?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

leftfootbraker

'63 Custom Cab Trim Piece Removal?

Post by leftfootbraker »

I have a '63 Custom Cab with the aluminum trim running the entire length of the truck - the trim that has the 1/2" wide red tape stripe down the middle.

I see all the pieces are held by studs with nuts through the sheet metal EXCEPT the 10" piece on the cowl - between the back of the hood and the front of the door. There is no way to access the back side of the cowl in this section so this is attached by some other method.

I've played with it for some time and I can get it to slide back and forth about 1/2". I've peered behind the trim as best I can and see a round steel wire retainer that pokes through a hole in the cowl on the door-end and some other type of retainer at the hood-end.

I imagine there is a trick to releasing the trim from these retainers but I can't seem figure it out and I don't want to damage it. Can you describe how to remove this trim piece?

Many thanks for any help you can lend.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Re: '63 Custom Cab Trim Piece Removal?

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

JUST Took of a complete set of a 64 long bed,, took about 20 minutes for the whole truck ,, the cowl if original I took small thin screwdriver and popped it off @ a angle,, Now the cowl has 1 clip with a stud and the other clip is like the front and rear clip that was on the bed that pushes in
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

It just pops off with a thin screw driver. Just take your time and pry carefully....it will come off. If I recall, pry from the top....
1964 F-100
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Original application has two studs. Access to the nuts
is via the (removed) cowl vent on the kick panels. It's tight for those of us with large hands, but it is accessible.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul