Anyone near Austin TX?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Anyone near Austin TX?

Post by shipwrecked »

Hey all,
Been chatting with a fellow slick owner lady Alice thru her Instagram and has posted on here before.
She is driving her 63 f100 wrongbed from LA to Louisiana via 66 and stopping along the way for touristy stuff.

She’s broken down in Austin. Three speed transmission stuck in third.
She’s staying with a friend in an RV right now but not enough tools or knowledge for the issue.
If anyone willing to help out- give me a shout.

I will relay info to you.

April
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
64 f100

Re: Anyone near Austin TX?

Post by 64 f100 »

Not near there but my advice is to chock the wheels and crawl under the truck. Take a small hammer or just use her hands and force the truck out of third gear. And or, open the hood and try pushing the third gear lever back into neutral that way.

Rich
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

YEah she did that. Won’t budge, she’s gonna have to drop it to inspect.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Oh gosh !
I would try some other stuff before that
Jack up the rear so driveshaft spins easy
Have somebody hold clutch in so input shaft can turn
Then have a prybar... sometimes you have to move the
First -reverse lever before the other will pop out

If get it out of gear.. might have to replace some worn shifter parts
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
greentruck
United States of America

Post by greentruck »

Did she get the truck fixed?
66 f100 4x4 ,64 f100 4x4 ,65 f100 2wd, 76 bronco, 74 bronco, 68 bronco, 69 mustang mach 1,68 torino gt,42 ford gpw
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

NOt yet . Still stranded and now low on food money. She has a 8 hour drive still to make to make it home. L

https://travelswithbetsyblog.wordpress.com/
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

April,
Did Alice get underway? Sue and I are celebrating New Year's in New Braunfels, south of Austin; will be in the area until at least Tuesday.
I don't have a three speed, I DO have a four speed she is welcome to, if needed, as well as a trailer if needed. PM me here or on FB if I can help.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Paul. Last I saw today she got a tow. I’ll see what she needs.

I suspected the little chickletts of the synchro key-spring set let go and jammed it up. Which is what happened.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

shipwrecked wrote:Paul. Last I saw today she got a tow. I’ll see what she needs.

I suspected the little chickletts of the synchro key-spring set let go and jammed it up. Which is what happened.
I suspect you are correct; if it damaged the synchros, I'm not sure how tough it may be to get replacements!
Anyway, let me know if we can help.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
AlicePyeHole

Post by AlicePyeHole »

Hey y'all! I'm Alice!

Thanks so much for posting for me April! :cheers:

Here's some updates:

My manual three speed top loader (or 3.03) got jammed up in 3rd gear. Believe me that taking it down was the last thing I wanted to do. I tried everything before coming to the conclusion that that was the only line of action I could take at this point. (It wasn't the linkage, no I don't have an access panel in the cab floor, and even if I somehow managed to shake it out of 3rd gear, there was definitely something wrong with it which meant I needed to look at it... which meant that I needed to take it down because its a damn top loader bang.gif )

I got a tow to Mercury Charlie's Garage http://www.mercurycharlie.com/ in Austin because Will Pulley over there is a friend of a friend and he's doing me a real big solid by letting me use the shop to tear into the tranny. It looked like the insert springs that held the 3 inserts in place on the synchronizer assembly on the 3rd/2nd shifter sleeve got caught on the brass synchro blocker rings and ate them out which made those little metal insert chicklet things decided to bust out and go have a party in the transmission by themselves.

I found a new set of the inserts and insert springs, but had a real hard time finding the brass synchro blocker rings locally. Buckled down and ordered some from http://www.drivetrain.com/. Just waiting for them to come in.

In the meantime, I'm actually staying with a friend in her RV (https://agirlandhercommander.wordpress.com/). It's looking like it's going to be below freezing in Austin for the next few days, and since her RV isn't winterized we gotta get the heck outta dodge so we're driving south to Corpus Christi so her water lines don't freeze and explode.

:idea: If anyone is traveling from Corpus Christi to Austin after New Year's I would love to get back to Austin sooner rather than later! Send me a message if I can catch a ride with you!

Thanks so much for all your help so far! This has definitely been the most helpful forum I've every been on!
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Hate to say this BUT you will have to tear that trans all the way apart, brass got into the needles in the cluster gear as well in the input shaft so that will have to be inspected,, ,next most likely the front input bearing was the cause of this being bad, also check the end of the crankshaft where the input shaft goes to be sure that piece fits like it should.. after tearing it down you might find more damage than you can see.. when you finish put gear oil in the trans then install the trans.. DO NOT START THE TRUCK WITH NO OIL IN TRANS.. IF You do kiss that trans goodbye since you might not be moving but all the parts inside move sitting still, have seen it happen plenty of times.. one thing I did not see is that if this truck has one of those piece of junk floor shifters that this could be one of the problems that did this ?
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo