It is currently January 16, 2018, 10:18 pm.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken shift tube
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 1:16 pm 

The wrecking yard sold the car they were willing to trade for my F100. So I am still stuck with it. Now the shift tube broke. No local suppliers have it and no Internet suppliers have it. I not only have a vehicle I can't sell, but one that I can't even drive. I am typing this from the library 2 miles from the house (I walked). I am 2 miles away from just giving it to the nearest wrecking yard willing to pick it up.

Doc

Profile Personal album  
 Post subject: Re: Broken shift tube
PostPosted: January 15, 2018, 3:12 pm 

What part of the shift tube is broken? If it's the tab at the top come loose, then braze it bock on and fill the hole at the same time and drill the hole to the original size. Or, you can weld it back on. if, the bottom is where the problem is, I don't know how to fix that. I bought a new one off evilbay some time ago, and recently installed it only to find it doesn't work right. Not certain what the problem is or whether it is a problem with the tube or the column being worn somehow as I changed it and installed a used tube the first time and had issues then also but not quite the same issues. Going into second gear, it doesn't line up right to shift , it wants to go to far and I have raise it back up to get it to go and work the lever at the bottom.

Profile Personal album  
 Post subject: Re: Broken shift tube
PostPosted: January 16, 2018, 10:53 am 

Sounds like you really do not want the truck! So why not just put in an aftermarket floor shift and then sell it?

D2M