Broken shift tube

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Doc Pepper

Broken shift tube

Post by Doc Pepper »

The wrecking yard sold the car they were willing to trade for my F100. So I am still stuck with it. Now the shift tube broke. No local suppliers have it and no Internet suppliers have it. I not only have a vehicle I can't sell, but one that I can't even drive. I am typing this from the library 2 miles from the house (I walked). I am 2 miles away from just giving it to the nearest wrecking yard willing to pick it up.

Doc
64 f100

Re: Broken shift tube

Post by 64 f100 »

What part of the shift tube is broken? If it's the tab at the top come loose, then braze it bock on and fill the hole at the same time and drill the hole to the original size. Or, you can weld it back on. if, the bottom is where the problem is, I don't know how to fix that. I bought a new one off evilbay some time ago, and recently installed it only to find it doesn't work right. Not certain what the problem is or whether it is a problem with the tube or the column being worn somehow as I changed it and installed a used tube the first time and had issues then also but not quite the same issues. Going into second gear, it doesn't line up right to shift , it wants to go to far and I have raise it back up to get it to go and work the lever at the bottom.
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

Sounds like you really do not want the truck! So why not just put in an aftermarket floor shift and then sell it?

D2M
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

OK. I woke up the morning after I discovered the problem and walked the coyote in a field about a quarter mile from the house. Figuring that I was never going to drive the truck again, I just continued walking until I checked out all the vehicles that were for sale (within that walk area, about 4 miles). I never saw such a dredge of squalid and putrid vehicles for sale in my life, all at ridiculously high prices. Even though I was tired from the walk, I decided to attack the steering column. The tube was fully ripped apart right at where it went into the collar. The rip was more of a shard, breaking from inside the shift collar to around 2" down the column.
Not having any transportation to visit a metals supplier about 7 miles from the house, I discovered a 2" round 5" long piece of mild steel in my shed. I thought that maybe I could fashion some kind of new end to the tube that could slide in the collar and connect to the remaining decent section of the shift tube. I turned the piece of steel in my lathe until it fit nicely into the collar. I then turned half of it until it fit directly inside the usable piece of original tube (Original piece! That's a joke. This thing was replaced more than once before. I am very disgusted with so-called Ford quality).
Anyway, after I machined the outside of the stock, I drilled through it so that it would fit over the steering shaft. I then welded the detent from the original broken piece to the stock. I castled the end of the usable piece and then welded it to the stock. It looked quite scary, but it went back in the steering column.
After re-installing all of the remaining parts, I drove the truck to the local Home Depot. It shifted very well. It even seemed to run better, but I am sure that was more psychological than physical. Any kind of wheels is better than having to walk everywhere.
It is amazing how your attitude changes from just having to walk around for 2 days instead of driving. If it wasn't for the coyote's required desert trysts, I would probably still be home with a busted truck. I was actually enjoying not having a complicated mechanical contraption to depend upon and maintain. But whatever reason, I needed wheels.
Now that it is running, it still looks like three of its four wheels are headed for the dump, but it is better than no vehicle. It looks like I dodged the new-car-bullet one more time. I think I will either buy that Harley Davidson after all, or at least start hunting for a back up vehicle.
I am still very disappointed with all of the Internet groups dealing with classic vehicles (including this one). I had purchased this truck because parts were supposedly plentiful, but I have since given up on that idea. It looks as though all that I have is another worn out broken down piece of Detroit machinery with impossible to get parts and something totally estranged to modern mechanics. Fortunately, I have a lathe and a welder, and Ace Hardware has a plenteous supply of adaptable trinkets to keep my truck running,....., for at least a while longer.
greentruck
United States of America

Post by greentruck »

Please tell us more about your coyote.
66 f100 4x4 ,64 f100 4x4 ,65 f100 2wd, 76 bronco, 74 bronco, 68 bronco, 69 mustang mach 1,68 torino gt,42 ford gpw
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

greentruck wrote:Please tell us more about your coyote.
LoL
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

Not that it has much to do with broken down old trucks, my coyote was dying at animal control. She weighed 45 pounds as an adult animal of three years, instead of 70 pounds (she was 25 pounds underweight). When I first saw her, she was caged with a massive male pit bull that would not let her near the food or water. At first, animal control would not release her on account that she was dying, but after 2 days of (umh) "discussion," they allowed me to buy her on a trial basis with the agreement that she would be returned to them for spaying IF she could stay alive for a month.
The first day she ate nothing. I tried numerous types of food but to no avail. So I figured that I would try to exercise her and see if her attitude would change.
That first day in the desert, she pulled on the leash so hard that I thought it would break (or I would break), but when we got home, she actually nibbled on some food. The second day, I just couldn't keep hold of the leash so I released her. Immediately she darted away. So I hid behind a big bush. A few minutes later, she came looking for me as if I was the most precious entity in the world. SO every time she would dart away, I would hide again. It didn't take long for her to make sure that she would never lose me again.
A while later during that walk, she eyed a rabbit and took off. After about an hour of not seeing her and searching all over the desert for her, I decided to return to the truck, figuring that I lost another pet. But when I reached the truck (which was about a mile away from where she ran off), I found her sitting on the hood, waiting for me. That was when I knew she was a keeper.
When they first asked me to name her, I took one look at her orange coat and thought "What do I know that is orange and is going to shortly die?" And I thought of that kid on South Park, Kenny. So I named her Kenny. But my friends kept complaining that you can't name a female Kenny, so I changed it to Kenniegirl.
You can see pics of her on my Facebook page "Doc Pepper." All of the above happened ten years ago. Yesterday, I took her to the vet for her three year vaccination, and she said that she had some dental concerns. And she has been slowing down recently at a very great pace. I figure that I have no more than a few months left with her. When she goes, I think I will give up on animals (after 28 years) and go back to motorcycles (hence the Harley).
greentruck
United States of America

Post by greentruck »

Cool,here in my state it's against the law to have a coyote as a pet.
66 f100 4x4 ,64 f100 4x4 ,65 f100 2wd, 76 bronco, 74 bronco, 68 bronco, 69 mustang mach 1,68 torino gt,42 ford gpw
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I think this is the "coyote "

[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

Now the master cylinder has gone out ..., ..., again, for the sixth time...in 11 years.And the replacement parts are getting rarer and rarer. I guess I will have to take this one out and somehow rebuild it.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

The last time I worked on a master cylinder
The whole unit was just a smidgen more costly than a rebuild kit
I won't fiddle with them if it's a matter of saving $10
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

I took a pic of the broken tube and of the repaired tube but I still don't know how to post pics in these windows, so I put the two pics in my photo section in this group.
Actually, I can't find the photo section, so I'll try to post them here. :roll:

Well that didn't work, so I'll just post them in my facebook page. If anybody can figure out how to post the pics here, be my guest.
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

Oh, and just for the record, I got thrown off of Kitt Peak (the whole mountaintop) because some Kitt Peak Ranger thought my fourteen year old, highly trained, extremely stable and gentle coyote was not on a "suitable" leash. I guess 14,000 breaking strength boat rope doesn't constitute a Kitt Peak Leash.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Master cyclinders are available from macs. Whilst I feel Macs quality has gone downhill a bit, it’s an option if you don’t want to rebuild yours or least will get you going and you could rebuild yours at your own pace. I’m sure other vendors may have them also. That price has gone up a bit since I last checked however. (Did both hydraulic master and slave with macs parts on my slick)

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truc ... -f100.html

Try not to get too dispondant with the old slicks, we all tear our hair out from time to time. The good news is they’re old and simple so just tackle one thing at a time and with the support of this site, you’ll get through it.
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

I'm sorry. It's been so long since I had modified the brakes that I just forgot that some members might not be familiar with my setup. Years ago, I replaced the original single reservoir M/C with a MC1488 dual reservoir master cylinder out of a 1973 mustang. The first two replacements were rebuilds and lasted less than a week each. The next one was new and lasted a year. The next new one lasted about two years, and I just purchased another new one (NM1488) from AutoZone.
The one in the truck now has been weak for quite a while. When I lifted up the lid, a great deal of fluid shot out of the front reservoir and the back reservoir was low. I determined that the seal between the two reservoirs had failed (was leaking) and the excess fluid that came out of the front was actually the fluid that was in the rear. There are no visible leaks in the system; all wheels look good, as so the lines and hoses.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Sorry wasn’t up with the mods! I would have thought the mustang m/c would be a dime a dozen over your way, although that doesn’t help with the problem of changing out yet another m/c.
I feel your pain with the quality of parts nowadays (or lack there of) this seems to be an ever increasing problem where you end up ‘redoing’ repairs you did not that long ago!

I’ve got a modern daily driver, and if it’s not a simple remove and refit new part, no mechanic wants to even know about it over here!
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

When I first switched to Disc brakes, everybody said "proportioning valve and dual M/C". I used the original fruit jar M/C that came on my 64 for the first 6 years with NO proportioning valve, and they worked great.
When I DID finally switch, I used an 86 mustang M/C on my 64. The first one I used lasted 9 years.
Now I'm installing my 2nd M/C just like what I had and haven't yet (after 3 speedy attempts) been able to get any pedal on it. Or at least not anything I'd trust. After all the cold and snow, and rain moves out, I'll try it again and take a little more time until I get it right.

The truck will last forever, it's just today's parts that won't.....
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

Today, I went to the local Indian Dealer and purchased a 2011 Yamaha Vstar 950 Tourer with 8K miles on it. For the first time in 25 years, I have two running vehicles. I am looking forward to seeing if this will change my attitude about the truck. At worst, I will have something to drive when the slick breaks down. At best, I might actually feel more relaxed when I am working on the slick, knowing that I can take my time on the repairs as I have alternative wheels should I need them.
Amazingly, the slick began to run better once I signed for the bike.
Doc Pepper

Post by Doc Pepper »

A friend in Tucson called me up to tell me that he found a shift tube in his shed. A quick measurement proved it to be the correct length and configuration. He suggested that I could have it upon my next visit with him. As a rule, I don't get to see him much except for those rare occurrences in which we get to share something about slicks, so I accepted.
On first view of the tube, I noticed that it was rusty and heavy, whereas mine was very light and made of stainless steel. But the rust seemed to be surface only, and the idea of having a near unbreakable original tube instead of a flimsy later model one seemed very attractive.
Jokingly, I offered him some rusty money for the tube, but he declined, saying that my friendship was more important than oxide of mammon. We then spent about an hour catching up on each others activities. I also met another slick enthusiast named Gary (I forgot his moniker). A very nice man, and very tall (at just over six feet tall myself, I was getting a sore neck trying to talk to him face to face). Of course, it could have been that he was standing uphill from me; my buddy lives on the side of a cliff.
Apparently, the Arizona Highway Department decided to close off two of the most important and busiest exits to I-10, so the trip to his house took me an additional 90 minutes, trying to navigate all of those country roads. But, remembering the dead cactus and crooked palo verde tree, I was able to find his house.
I felt quite down upon leaving as I was pretty sure that I would be selling (or wrecking) the slick soon and without a common reference, we would probably never see each other again. But I enjoyed the visit with a good friend.
And even though it was a day late and a (rusty) dollar short, Bill, thanks for the tube and for thinking about that old man that lives 30 miles south of you in the midst of Tucson's Little Mexico.
Good luck on the 4x4.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

the I-10 HAS been messed up west of I-19 for at least year with exits closed,, driving on the frontage road, up by the big RV Center on the west bound side exit both sides been closed,, I believe it's orange grove or something to do with oranges
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo