4 speed vs 3 speed pressure plate

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66camperspecial

4 speed vs 3 speed pressure plate

Post by 66camperspecial »

I have a 11 inch clutch disc and pressure plate from my 66 when it had a 4 speed that has less then 3000 miles that I would like to use when I put a 351-W and 3 speed back in it,I was looking at the fingers on the pressure plate and they look like they stick out farther then normal and I presume that is to make up for the deeper bellhousing for the 4 speed. I do not have another pressure plate to look at so do the 3 speed take a different pressure plate then for a 4 speed.
64 f100

Re: 4 speed vs 3 speed pressure plate

Post by 64 f100 »

This will not answer your question, but there are differences in clutch plates and I have mixed and matched at times. Depending on the flywheel and how much it has been turned I have had a few problems from time to time. I have used clutch plates that hit the bolts holding the clutch plate to the crankshaft. After running this clutch plate for awhile, the springs started hitting the bolts and apparently would hold the clutch plate slightly off the flywheel causing it to slip. Mostly, it has worked out for me. The later Ford clutches used the diaphragm clutch instead of the fingers, and this may affect overall performance. I recently bought several NOS 6 cylinder clutch plates off evilbay, and intend to use these if needed. May not be exactly right and I don't know why there should be a difference but the springs are not made as far in on these as the originals v8 clutches. I don't know what Fords thinking was nor why these would not work on a v8, but rest assured when the time comes I will use what I have as long as it is new. If it does not work, then I'm out some work and some money as I don't run any sixes at present. I also find it interesting that Ford made a lot of different discs for the same engines for different years. Hipo cars got the 11.5 inch disc setup and maybe a larger bell housing. Big trucks got the 12 inch and have wondered if those could be used in our application. Maybe someone could chime in that knows.
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

66 you had a 460 in it before ? Right? I would think there the same. Just guessing. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
66camperspecial

Post by 66camperspecial »

It has a C-6 behind the 460 and the pressure plate I have is a replacement diaphram type.