prothayne front leaf spring bushings for 61-64?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

aj64f100390-292
United States of America

prothayne front leaf spring bushings for 61-64?

Post by aj64f100390-292 »

Hey guys, I picked up the front axle, rear end and front and rear springs from a nice '61 f100. I'm wanting to get prothayne bushings all the way around the truck and I'm only finding a kit for the back. anyone know if they can be had for the front? Also has anyone here tried some of their 61-64 truck? and whats the best type of anti squeak liners these days?

As always thanks in advanced
1964 f100 lwb 292 ECG Heads,4v, 4spd, '76 9" 3.25, orig. :292 3spdO/D, 3.92 spicer locker
19mpg hwy, .040/298ci, arnd 8.7:1, ECG heads, stainless valves, ceramic coated ramshorn manifolds, B code int., eddy 4bbl, Durasprk II/C5ZF dizzy, C2AE rods,high ratio rockers, NOS two groove h.balancer, unkwn cam-for now :twisted: soon:pwr asst steering
was FE/FT, mount:390, C6R heads, C4ae int, w/ 361/391 FT Bellhous.,timing cover, & w. pump.
-Back on the road since jan '17
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: prothayne front leaf spring bushings for 61-64?

Post by bobenhotep »

I haven't seen a kit, but you could probably piecemeal them together individually from one of the companies that makes them. You can buy the front end rubber sleeve bushings fairly cheap if you look around online. The 61 springs you have may have the small eye in the back. I was tempted to cut down a set of rear spring bushings and fit them in my 61 springs, so that the only rubber sleeve bushings would be in the top of the front shackle.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Prothane and Energy Suspension have universal products. You just have to measure and see if they have a part that will work.

I have not used any on my truck but I am skeptical of using them because polyurethane bushings are really more like a bearing, which needs lubrication. The stock rubber bushings flex to allow suspension movement but the polyurethane bushings do not. They actually have to allow the metal inner sleeve to slide and rotate within the bushings. The problem is that the initial application of grease does not last that long and that causes the suspension to kinda stiffen up and not function as smoothly. If there is no way to grease the bushing after the initial installation, then you're stuck with that. I would only consider polyurethane if they were easily greasable or the probably made in China replacement rubber bushings simply do not last.

I do have polyurethane on my car so I'm not coming from absolute inexperience here but it is all greasable. using a grease gun. I grease them 2 - 3 times a year and I do notice a difference afterwards and the ride getting rougher if I go for a longer period without greasing.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Here's a good source for universal bushings from Prothane. They also list a cross reference to the equivalent Energy Suspension bushing for each size, if available:

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/ ... shings.asp

I don't have specific experience using them in a leaf spring bushing application, but I had good luck using ES bushings on my old car without any ill effects. I didn't bother with the little packet of grease they supply with the kits though. I gave everything a liberal coating of this during the install instead:

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1281.pdf

That lasted a few years (until I sold the car) without any noticeable squeaking, but I would still expect to have to tear down the bushings once in a while to reapply the grease. The shackle end would see more relative motion I would think, so subsequently would likely need attention first.