65 Inner Fender Questions.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FlintMich
United States of America

65 Inner Fender Questions.

Post by FlintMich »

My 65 is going to need both inside and outside fenders on both sides. The Michigan road salt demons have done their worst and I doubt there is any chance of recovery for these things. I also need a core support. My question is whether inner fenders (and/or core support) from any other years will work on my 65. I see a lot of interchangeability between 61 to 64 stuff as well as 66 to 67 stuff - but it seems like the 65 is seldom if ever on these lists. I've searched this site but I don't think my search skills are adequate. None of my search results tell me what I need to know. And I've tried searching Google but I keep getting conflicting information. I think I need to hear from someone who actually knows - lol

If the inner fenders from other years are interchangeable, it would sure make my searching a lot easier - and a lot more affordable. Any input from you guys is welcome and very much appreciated. I'm really stressing out about this. I want to move forward with this build but I don't want to spend any more time or money on it if I can't find these items at a reasonable price - if at all. I've come across parts trucks or project trucks of these other years with seemingly decent parts but without knowing if they will work on the 65, I've had to pass. So again, any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
TJ

If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right! ~ Shayf
Toyz
United States of America

Re: 65 Inner Fender Questions.

Post by Toyz »

Any '65/66 coil front spring truck will have the inners you need. Core support is '65 specific
, an earlier support can be modified to work with a little effort. That sums up the interchangeability.

Paul
Last edited by Toyz on March 8, 2018, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Although what Toys said is true to a certain degree, the whole story is somewhat more complicated. Along with modifications of the core support from 64 to 65, there were other changes and again more changes from 65 to 66. Luckily for you, there is a replacement being made by obsolete Parts in Oklahoma city for the 65, along with inner and outer fenders, and battery box. As to whether the inner fenders are for a 65 exactly I cannot say. What I do know is the core support looks dead on to the untrained eye. I have two of these supports I bought while I was in Oklahoma City the last time I passed thru there. Supports at that time were 300 plus taxes. You can sometimes get a better price if you catch these on sale. Don't recall the price on inner and outer fenders at this time. I suggest you talk to Tom (Junkyard dog)as he is a member and sells parts for these trucks both new and used. As to used parts, a lot of parts are still out there, but have diminished as scrap prices went way up when China was buying our scrap. Many thousands of these trucks are in China now. This has also raised the price on used parts, and shipping has become a restricting factor in recent times as prices have become outlandish. All in all, original parts are best, but finding good parts and getting those to where you are can be expensive. To be honest, If I were needing everything you need, buying a parts truck with all the parts you need would most likely be the best you can do, and even then it would be hard to find one with all the usable parts needed. Also, you can use the front end off the 66 by changing the grill, but finding a 66 good core support is tough to find and prices for a mint new one would be more than anyone would want to pay, since it seems to be the holy grail of slicks. I live in southern Illinois, and can supply you with nearly every piece you need but nothing is what you would call cheap.
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

While the '65 core support is specific to the year on front coil sprung trucks, they share the same part number for the inner fenders; I can find NO listing for those in Obsolete's online catalog; they seem to skip from '64 to '67???
The '66 coil sprung core support CAN be easily modified to fit the '65 by re-using the radiator mounting "wings" and battery mount from the '65, and re-drilling several bracket mounting holes, the leaf sprung core support CAN be modified to work, but with differing inner fender contours between the two, plus the front-mounted battery box, some modification is required at the inner fender to support juncture.
What this means is that NO leaf front slick inner fender and core support will directly interchange with those of the coil sprung trucks, regardless of year. Inner fenders also differ on the 4x4 and larger trucks, since the battery is found under the cab instead of on the firewall as on the 2wd leaf sprung trucks.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

Paul, if he is doing inner, outer and core support, couldnt he change the whole clip and use the 65 grill, header panel and hood? This would be another option since changing it all anyway....
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

In 66 Ford did collision repair on my 65 F-100. To make the 65 core support fit I had to cut the bottom lip and drill new holes in the inner fenders for the bottom bolt to fit. I always assumed Ford replaced the 65 front end with a 66. I have pictures of my correct 65 F-250 and the F-100 modified fenders I can e-mail if your interested.
Chris
FlintMich
United States of America

Post by FlintMich »

Wow guys - thanks for the input. I can't tell you guys how much stress you've relieved. I've really been sweatin this build because I wasn't sure if I would even be able to find the parts - new repros or used. My intention is to keep the patina but make it safe and enjoyable to drive for my wife and daughters. It won't ever be a show truck. In fact, I doubt it'll ever see a proper paint gun, let alone the inside of a paint booth - lol. As a matter of fact, I recently did a quick buff and fluff polish job on the hood to remove the years of chalky paint fade and when my wife saw it, her face went blank and she said "will that eventually fade back to how it was?" D'oh! Turns out she SERIOUSLY preferred the faded chalky look - as do I. Who knew? I told her it would fade back but it might take another 30 years or so - lol. She told me I better get busy on the rest of the truck because it looks stupid with that shiny rusted hood on a faded truck.

To be honest, it was an accidental polish job that just sorta happened. I was under the truck at my buddies awesome heated pole barn and while I was under there, he grabbed his polisher off the shelf and did about a forth of the hood. When I got out from under it and saw it, I nearly shat myself. No point in giving him grief about it. He meant well and didn't know I planned to keep the patina so - whattayagonnado? So we finished "polishing" the hood. Sorry, I'm rambling again.

So thank you all again for the information. I have seen at least one or two 66 trucks and/or parts in my area during my research but to be honest, I basically just passed over them because I thought 65 parts were my only option. I'm still on the fence about a possible crown vic swap with this truck. If it wasn't so rough I'd be leaning more towards keeping it all original but this old girl is past that point. Plus, the swap would certainly address all of the issues I'm currently facing with making it better for the girls. I told the wife I'd like to go the CV swap route with this slick and then maybe find another slick to restore to original for myself. I know I know - finish the first one before ya think about the next one - hahaha. This hobby can be addictive let me tell ya!

So thanks guys. I feel so much better about this now, knowing I have some options.
TJ

If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right! ~ Shayf
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

What Anthony said!
Yeah, if you can find either a '65 or '66 coil sprung slick, you are in business The hood, which it sounds like you have, interchanges between all years up to the F750 series, Upper and lower valances are the same between '65 and '66 F100/250.
Since Rich seems to be not too far away, I would suggest seeing what he has available.
To me, the core support is the only issue, and after dealing with the available aftermarket ones which never fit all applications, a good used one regardless of year, would be my first choice.
:2cents:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul