Rear gas tank filler door on side of syleside bed

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

Rear gas tank filler door on side of syleside bed

Post by 64 f100 »

I recently saw a video of someone installing a gas door filler in the side of their bed. Like a dummy, I did not mark it so I could find it again and have not been able to locate the video. What I really wanted to know was exactly how the inside of the bed was worked to accept the filler hose and metal pipe. I suspect I know, but always like to see someone else's work and how they handled this problem. The fill pocket and door I have is from and early 90's f150 that I had planned on using, with the 84 Bronco tank and a filler hose for it. What I have found is that the distance from inner to outer wall of the bed is about 4 inches and I don't believe this will work without cutting the inner wall out and making a metal cover to weld back in. Something like what was used in the early Bronco's to fix this problem. I would have to cut the floor behind the wheel well and on up the side of the inner bed side to do the necessary modification to have it fit right. In addition, I believe all the later tanks and caps were set up so there was pressure in the tank, and am wondering about that. If any of you have bought a new gas cap, be aware that sometimes the parts house will say the later cap fits our trucks, but that is not so. Those later caps will build pressure in the tank, and it is obvious when you take the cap off. Since the cap is a screw on type for the 84 that I have, I've been thinking of drilling a pin hole in the plastic or the metal tube at the top to keep the pressure down. Any thought's from all of you on this matter?
64 f100

Re: Rear gas tank filler door on side of syleside bed

Post by 64 f100 »

One other thing I was thinking it might be easier to use a filler cup from a Jeep and not run a gas door flap. What say all of you?
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I know mine is a uni, but I simply cut a squarish section off the side and slid it down to the end of the truck marked it cut it and swapped it. I am guessing you can cut out the same size hole from your cab where you want to install it, and use the same rubber to hold it in place... send me your email in a pm an
i can send you pics of my tank install as well as my filler cover inside the bed
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

A COUPLE DIFFERENT IDEAS

1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
Gravemetal
Canada

Post by Gravemetal »

I have seen setups on the net showing a hidden filler door behind the drivers tail light lens. It pops open and swings out to expose the filler. I believe fellow member Kevin Stone on this site has done it to his truck.
Ford... the other four letter "F" word

Chevrolet: Condition hopeless entire vehicle runs on leftover engine technology

Six cylinders make farting sounds
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

I was going to try that but it appeared beyond my skills and it was painted already so I took a easier path. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I like the filler in the fender well, but I do have some issues with the idea. I bought the filler hose for the 84 Bronco 2 which includes and inner and outer hose that allows the tank to breath when filling with gas. Doing any mods to the piece I have might be problematical, at a guess. I have no doubt that it could be done, but not sure it's as easy as cutting the inside of the bed to allow room for the filler to go to the outside of the bed. The hidden gas fill is a trick item, but time consuming and the extra bends would make for so tricky problem with the fill pipe and most likely would eliminate the inner and outer pipe. Is this important, I think it is. I've had vehicles spit back gas while filling before because of the issues involved air being forced back out of the tank. I don't like a tank that is slow to fill. Part of the problem is the nature of the rubber hose being restricted where it goes between the bed and frame. the filler pipe is squashed. Although plenty big enough that it should not be a problem I don't want to have my grandson having to deal with the issue since it is his truck. Although I like the idea of the filler in the fender well, in my mind there are two issues. Rocks being thrown off the tires and the tire hitting the fill tube under extreme conditions. the hidden fill is a great idea in several respects, but cutting the rear quarter of the bed support and weakening it does not appeal to me. Plus it is a lot of extra work in my opinion and I'm sure it will be time consuming. It's unfortunate that I don't have access to any Bronco 2's locally in the junk yard. Early or late it does not matter, there is nothing close by. I see where a replacement cricket for the early bronco's is available for this area, and I'm wondering if it would be better to spend the 50$ for that or make my own. I may have to check out a friends Bronco to get some idea if it would work. I need some measurements to build my own anyway. Locating the filler in the right place is crucial as the cup I'm going to use on the side of the box is rather larger, due to the contraption that holds the lid in place and allows it to be spring loaded. I had thought about just using a cup on the outside, something like a jeep, which would have been easier to install as it uses screws for mounting on the outside, but somehow this does not appeal to me. I also thought of just running it out the side of the bed like the 75 f150 I have. Again, there is the issue of what it looks like and the double wall construction of the fill tube, which would require the ugly screw on cap. I suppose that could be eliminated by going and cutting the filler out of another earlier model truck with both double wall filler and used the earlier style cap. that way I could use the period style chrome gas cap. However the constraints of small inner wall dimensions I would most likely still have to do a cricket on the inside of the bed, so why not do the complete and more pleasing door flap. Another issue I am wondering about is pressure build up in the tank from using the later style fill system and gas cap. Seeing a s the tank will now be in the rear maybe not so much of an issue as it would push gas to the engine compartment, or help the fuel pump.