Glueing truck together

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slick4x4
United States of America

Glueing truck together

Post by slick4x4 »

Chatted with another truck guy today
He was looking at one of my project trucks
He asked " how you gonna fix that hole ? "
It was about a 2" rust hole
I said probably cut it out & weld in new patch
He said "don't waste your time... been doing it with a "glue"
Just cut the bad out , clean it up , & glue a patch on it "
2 part glue in a 'gun' that mixes it ....
Says it's stronger than a weld .........
Anybody done anything like this ?
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Glueing truck together

Post by slick4x4 »

[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
grump

Post by grump »

You can glue on quarter panels with that kind of glue. When they first came out with this stuff they did a test by gluing on a quarter panel and then wrecked it, the glue didn't come loose. I've used it on urethane bumper material and butt welded it with two part adhesive and it doesn't break, at least I couldn't get it to break.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I'm gonna try it out in some spots
grump

Post by grump »

Two part adhesive takes a special caulk type gun and it's a little pricey. You can push some out by hand and mix it by hand to try it. If you buy the gun you will need to get some mixing nozzles to go with the tube of adhesive. There are different cure times for different types of caulk, some of it has a sixty second work time, you better be ready to go if you're using that stuff. Just check to see what the cure time is. It'll be interesting to hear your evaluation.
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

I can't say from experience but I've heard that after some time the repair will "ghost" through the paint.
Every day above ground is a good one
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

You know, it probably is not a bad idea, but to glue a truck together just doesn't feel right to me. We've all seen cars with Bondo rust hole patches, and the Bondo coming loose as the rust easts at the metal. Just seems like a patch job, and how would you feel if someone sold you one of these trucks and 3 or 4 years down the road it started falling out or breaking loose. I know plastic does not rust, but it cracks, shrinks, and does not stop the rust. I watched a friend of mine take 3 cars and build two out of these wrecks to sell. What caught my eye was he cut right thru the center of the cars took the front off of one and mated it to the back of another. Brazed it together with overlaps of the metal. The cars were Mustang 2's and frame was part of the body. When he got done with it, unless you knew where to look, you could not tell. I found it disturbing as these were integral frame and body. What I'm saying, is if this is for your own use and not to be sold to someone else, I find it would be OK, in one sense of the word, but kind of iffy in conforming to what our trucks were and are. It does not set right with me, and comes under the heading of sawdust in the rear end to quiet the gears, running the speedometer back, and other tricks of the used car trade. It is a almost a necessity to use body filler but I prefer to use as little as possible.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

It's not designed for structural components , like a cab mount
And the places I would use it would be "hidden" .. like a floor
So visually it doesn't have to be perfect (for me )

I have seen trucks that have had body putty slapped over spray foam :cussing:
All that did was make steel rot faster
But in some areas , I could see this working pretty good
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

my friend works in a body shop and they regularly glue roof skins,quarters,door skins on.i've watched him take roofs and doors skins off and most of the new cars are factory glued together.he said it's faster and less likely to warp anything instead of welding.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

This is a development of the system that cars are not repaired but pieces are replaced because the cars cannot be repaired. It is nearly impossible to straighten the metal they use in modern cars. Most of us have never seen body work where lead has been used as was done many years ago, and a very few still do this, hence the term lead sled. Plastic body fillers were developed to speed up the progress and make it easier to do body work, and we've finally come to sticking things together with glue. Todays cars are designed for this kind of repair, and mostly our trucks are not. For personal use, I have no problem with it, and for something like a floor it might work, but I still don't like the concept for our trucks, mainly because I don't like finding substandard repairs in something I buy. If you find one slipshod repair, then more than likely you will find more. It's easy enough to get screwed when buying one of these trucks especially when dealing long distance. Not everyone out there is a crook, but there are many looking to make a fast buck. To each their own, including bran X motors, although why you want to take the heart out of your truck and replace it was a bowtie is beyond my comprehension. I call it the belly button approach to hot rodding. Nothing wrong with the venerable small block, fine engine, and was Duntofs revenge for Ford not liking his ideas and getting rid of him. Personally, I find that fact amusing. The fact is, I like original ideas, and an interesting swap in the engine compartment can and does peak my interest. In fact, there is a 4bt engine swap available for sale coming out of a slick over by Kansas City. I've often thought that would be a great setup for one of my trucks. The price is a little steep at 6K but includes an automatic transmission and the whole setup coming out of a driving truck. Claims it gets 32mpg. It may just be my personal bias against new things on the glue thing, just set in my ways and I find as I get closer to time to leave this world the less I like change. All you youngsters will find you grow this way as you get older, I'm 71. When your young you embrace the new technology, but quick and easy doesn't always equal good.