'64 Question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jtm

'64 Question

Post by jtm »

I am currently looking for a 64 to buy. I just found this one on the side of the road while driving around in Austin, Texas. The guy is asking 3500 but probably will go down to 3000. Would someone who is knowledgable about '64s take a look at pictures in my album. The engine has been replaced with a 350 with an automatic transmission. The owner says he does not know how many miles are on it. He says he bought it two years ago and says has not done anything to it.....

...am also curious about the steps in the sides of the bed. I have been looking and have not seen any other pictures anywhere of mid 60's Fords that have those...anyone know anything about them?

...thanks a bunch...neophyte ford truck guy...jtm
...wherever you go...there you are
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Well Jtm the truck looks pretty good from here other than the mouse in the dog house . I would check the cab mounts for rust also grab a magnet off your fridge and test it on the body especially along the lower areas . The fridge magnet wont stick to bondo :D . The Mouse could be rectified with a nice 302 or 351 windsor . I personally would offer $2500 and see if he bites due to the motor not being ford but thats just me .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

I have seen those steps before, used to be a popular add-on. Don't know if they were a dealer option, but they could be had from JC Whitney.

The Chevy engine isn't a "plus", in my opinion, but the truck looks OK in the picture you posted. Hard to tell. If I was able to get away this weekend, I'd come down and take a look, I'm only about 2 hours from Austin.

Look at the bottom of the cab, the cab mounts, lower rear corners(cab corners), and around the drip rails above the windows for obvious rust, and bubbling paint. The intersection of the forward wall of the bed and bed floor is another trouble spot.

Good luck, and WELCOME!!
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
jtm

Post by jtm »

there is little bit of rust on the drip rails but does not go all the way through...pretty sure there is bondo in the cab..going to take a magnet with me this afternoon when i go drive it...

realize the engine is not optimum so will keep looking but as i got permission from the missus to buy something...need to strike while the iron is hot...

figure I can always replace the engine later...my friend John Joyo owns the South Austin Speed Shop and is going to help me work on whatever I end up with...

thanks for the help and the offer to come down...mighty cool of you...
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

See if you can get in touch with Texas Monty. He lives in Austin and can help you along. Good guy and he's in the process of a similar truck so you guys could help each other out. If you'll send me an e-mail I'll be happy to forward it to him if he doesn't see this message.
There are good trucks out there for less money than you're considering so don't jump in at the first opportunity unless you think its a real bargain.
I'd offer him 1500 and he keeps the brand X motor :)
Uncle Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the steps were a Ford option, i have some NOS in the original Ford box somewhere.
truck does not look bad from the pics, however i think anything over $2500 is too much, especially with the existing engine.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

I remember those steps, da*# now I feel old. :?

You should also take a look at the radiator support for rust. Truck does not look to bad if you keeep the hood shut, but personaly I would keep looking for one that has not been violated with that brand x motor.
jtm

Post by jtm »

went and drove and looked at it...little too much going on to get it I think...gonna keep looking..heart set on a v8 but not in a hurry....thanks for all the insight...
Comet

Post by Comet »

Good call. That was about 2x of what it was worth IMO.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Uncle Skip
United States of America

'63 truck available

Post by Uncle Skip »

Max here in Houston has a really nice '63 available for the same price if you can get in touch with him.
Make him put it back together before you buy it though :?
It's a 223 six cylinder and was driving before he started changing things around. Solid old truck with nice body for a project.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

My boss is getting frustrated with his 64. Rebuilt 292, fresh paint, needs to be finished. Think he would take $2000, but that ain't my call.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Now Comet is gonna get on my back here for doing this again, but i just want to GENTLY point out that aa Slick or a Bumpside or a Dentside
(61-66, 67-72, 73-79) Ford truck is just about WORTHLESS with a non-Ford motor. I have seen a bunch go thru ebay, latest one a '69, and NOT GET A SINGLE BID.

So I would go with what uncle Skip said... might be worth $1500 without a motor. Ain't worth a fart in a windstorm with a Chev motor.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Now Comet is gonna get on my back here for doing this again, but i just want to GENTLY point out that aa Slick or a Bumpside or a Dentside
(61-66, 67-72, 73-79) Ford truck is just about WORTHLESS with a non-Ford motor. I have seen a bunch go thru ebay, latest one a '69, and NOT GET A SINGLE BID.

So I would go with what uncle Skip said... might be worth $1500 without a motor. Ain't worth a fart in a windstorm with a Chev motor.

I like the way you think. :D
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

money where my mouth is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-F-1 ... dZViewItem

History: 0 bids
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Comet

Post by Comet »

Hey JC, don't worry about me. I just didn't want the El Polacko bashing to commence. I think Steve brings a great deal to this site and want him to stay, that's all.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
William-in-St. George

I'd Pass on this one!

Post by William-in-St. George »

Personal preference, but, twin I-Beam trucks look the same and are a heck of a lot easier to improve. Engine options with Ford mounts and brackets are about unlimited. If you select a later 351 or 460 even AOD is available. I don't get too excited about OTM engines since they can come out as quickly as they went in and sometimes when the budget is tight you use what you own. IMHO!
When you have 90% of what you want, think twice about insisting on the other 10%! Thomas Sowell