NEW GUY HERE.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

WAY2FASTMIKE

NEW GUY HERE.

Post by WAY2FASTMIKE »

HI EVERYBODY,
I HAVE TO SAY I AM A PROUD OWNER OF A 1966 F-100 SLICK LONG BED.
WELL AFTER WORKING ON HER ALL WEEK I FINIALY GOT HER STARTED.
NEW POINTS,CAPASSATOR,PLUGS, ROTOR AND CAP, COIL.
IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS SKIPPING AND THE ENGINE IS SHAKING A LOT.
THEN ALL OF A SUDEN IT STARTS LEAKING WHERE THE ENGINE AND THE TRANSMISSION MEET.REALLY BAD. ANY THOUGHTS?
WHEN I FIND OUT HOW TO I'LL PUT UP A PICTURE OF HER.
THANKS
MIKE
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

If manual trans sounds like rear mail seal. Also don't leave the key on without engine running will burn out points. I went with a Ignitor Electronic conversion ever have to adjust the points again but still can't leave the key swicth on.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
WAY2FASTMIKE

POSTING PICTURES

Post by WAY2FASTMIKE »

HOW DO YOU POST PICTURES?
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

here is how to post pics <HERE>

From what you said it sounds like the rear main seal.

Can you give a little more info on your truck??

Engine, trans, rear end, etc...and your plans for the truck (intended use?)
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
WAY2FASTMIKE

SAME

Post by WAY2FASTMIKE »

240 INLINE 6, 3 SPEED ON THE TREE. ALL STOCK. I GOT HER ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO AND WAS GOING TO FIX HER UP, BUT RUN OUT OF MONEY AND TIME. PLANES ARE TO TUNE HER UP AND SELL HER. PICTURES ARE ON THE WAY.
Comet

Post by Comet »

Hey Mike, welcome to Slick 60's! Do us all a favor and update your user CP to show your location. Also, might want to think about taking the cap lock off. Some people see that as shouting. :lol:
I wonder if you jumped a tooth on the timing gear. The problems you state sound fairly severe. If it was mine, I wouldn't run it again until I took the oil pan off to check the bearing wear, and the front timing cover off to check the wear there as well. First though, start with the easy stuff and re-check the firing order, wires and distributor location. If any of that is off, then you could re-fire it.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
WAY2FASTMIKE

SAME

Post by WAY2FASTMIKE »

FOUND THE LEAK, IM ASHAMED TO SAY IT WAS THE OIL DRAIN BOLT LOOSE. TIGHTEN UP NO MORE LEAKS.
MY PICTURES ARE NOW UP. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ALL THINK.
Comet

Post by Comet »

What about the horrible shaking?
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
WAY2FASTMIKE

SAME

Post by WAY2FASTMIKE »

I ADVANCED THE TIMEING A LITTLE AND IT SMOOTHED OUT A LITTLE, BUT STILL SHAKING. I THINK IM HAVING CARB TROUBLE. THREE YEARS AGO I WAS DRIVING IT AND PARKED IT DUE TO GETTING ANOTHER CAR. GOT IT RUNNING NOW BUT REALLY RUFF.
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

How old is the gas :?: :(
any black smoke out tail pipe ?
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
WAY2FASTMIKE

SAME

Post by WAY2FASTMIKE »

NEW GAS, YES BLACK SMOKE AND SMELLS STRONG LIKE GAS
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

could possibly be float stuck to bottom of bowl from old gas that evaporated. carb is flooding the motor.
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
WAY2FASTMIKE

SAME

Post by WAY2FASTMIKE »

I WAS THINKING ABOUT PUTTING A NEW HOLLY OR SOMTHING ON IT.
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

Comet wrote:Hey Mike, welcome to Slick 60's! Do us all a favor and update your user CP to show your location. Also, might want to think about taking the cap lock off. Some people see that as shouting. :lol:
I wonder if you jumped a tooth on the timing gear. The problems you state sound fairly severe. If it was mine, I wouldn't run it again until I took the oil pan off to check the bearing wear, and the front timing cover off to check the wear there as well. First though, start with the easy stuff and re-check the firing order, wires and distributor location. If any of that is off, then you could re-fire it.

I ALWAYS TYPE WITH CAP LOCK ON. ITS FOR THE HEARING IMPAIRED. LOL

LONNIE
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
Mazlem

Post by Mazlem »

Comet - also think again about Comet's suggestion of turning off your capslock. All caps make for hard reading.
WAY2FASTMIKE

SAME

Post by WAY2FASTMIKE »

opps, sorry, my work requires me to have caps on. kinda hard to change. i'll try to remember.
thanks for all the advise.
mike

oh yea, can anyone see my pictures?
Truckrat
United States of America

shaking

Post by Truckrat »

You said you replaced the points, but if the gap is too wide it could cause the shaking when your engine is running. I am not saying that's what it is, just an idea from what you described. Might want to take a look at the harmonic balancer and see what shape it is in. Again, just thoughts I had on this thread. The pics you put up show a rather rusty surfaced 66, but to me it is a diamond in the rough. Looked like a roll of 120 grit and a D.A. sander and a couple of days sanding on it would do wonders for it's appearance. Top that off with some good filler primer, and you got a pretty slick SLICK.