A 4spd tranny in a F100 same as a F250 PU?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Rob

A 4spd tranny in a F100 same as a F250 PU?

Post by Rob »

I bought a 66 f250 with a 352 and a FMX HD Auto tranny. I like to put a NP 4spd [top shifter] in from a F100. Is it the same for the 1/2 ton to 3/4 tons? Thats the question. Or is it easyier to put in a C6? Do I have to change the driveline, linkage, tranny mounts? thanks Rob
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

The NP and BW 4 speed manual trannies were used in much larger trucks than just f100 and f250, so I think its a safe bet to say that they are the same. Now, you do not currently have a clutch, or any of the linkage, so that would make a 4 speed more complicated. A later, close ratio BW T-19 might be a better tranny for you, if you really like 4 speeds.

You also will need to deal with the bell housing -- I do not know for a fact, but I highly doubt that your current one would work. There are sure to be bells for FE engines that will serve your purpose.

Is that F250 a twin I beam? Does it have a wide brake pedal (automatic style) or just a standard size brake pedal?

If you a truely set on going to a 4 speed, we should talk, as I might be willing to trade you the clutch and brake pedal asspebly from my 65. I am headed towards a C4. My bell housing will not help you, as its for a small block. I have a T-18 BW -- it has the really low granny gear. Not much use in a street toy.....

I am planning on leaving the current colum in place and using a Lokar floor shifter for the auto tranny.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
Comet

Post by Comet »

Then NP 435 was used in F250s and other 3/4 ton trucks for years.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

When I first put the 390 in my 62, I used a 4spd out of a 2 ton truck (I think, fella told me "big truck"). Had to bend the shifter to clear the dash, but it worked. Bent it to match one from an F100.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

either of the transmisiions can be used
the bell for fe manual trans are all the same.the starter is the same.
you need a manual flywheel for fe
get the 12" clutch model if possible
you will need the linkage pieces and the pedal,all easily removed from another truck and reinstalled.
you will need the high hump cover for 4 speed trans from another truck
middle driveshaft is different and also needs to come from manual trans truck.
stop by i have all the parts, driveshafts too.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Rob

Thanks you Guys for the Imfo

Post by Rob »

Why I was going to put in 4spd. Cause I have all the parts to make a auto to a manual. Pedal, bellhousing, flywheel, and etc. I have a tranny 4spd from my f100 I was going robe from. So, I see they can be different tranny, lite and heavy duty trannies NP 435 , or a T 89 , or T18 . How can you find the Imfo on the tranny? I see it's a NP on there. How can you tell what kind of tranny it is? Thanks Rob
Comet

Post by Comet »

Rob, like I said in my post above, NP 435
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Rob

Tranny

Post by Rob »

I looked in my 65 ford shop manual, it showed T89 warner and the NP435.
And one I have is the NP435. The 3spd trannies, I found out that they have least 3 diff types. Light duty, med duty , heavy duty with linkage shifting. Thanks Rob