It's a ... Miracle?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Johnny Canuck
Canada

It's a ... Miracle?

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Went down to the local Chapter's book store to enjoy a Starbucks coffee and read mags for free, as I am wont to do from time to time, last night.

Lo and Behold, I pick up the latest edition of "Custom Classic trucks", a mag solelly devoted to promoting 350/350 Chev running gear in Fat Fender Fords up 'til now, and........:shock:

(cue angels singing music) There's a 66 in there with a FORD motor!!!
Nice, but with the wrong tailgate. I wondered what in hell had happened there, a magazine so dedicated to publishing pictures of junk, :evil: and so I read further, that they changed the ENTIRE editioral staff at that mag, and they are trying to publish something that someone would actually BUY!!

There's even an email address for one of the editors where you can send suggestions!!!

I was so excited I near had to sue Starbucks for serving HOT coffee!!:wink:

As I was reaching to my wallet to shell out the first nickle in over 2 years to Primedia Publications, I thumbed thru the rest of the mag and found a
.........surprise, Fat Fender Ford with a 350/350.
Back on the stand the mag went. :cry:

Nice try.
Now I don't have the email addy of the editor , either.
But, perhaps they are starting to smell the coffee at that mag.
One can always hope. 8)

JC
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

rob.fortier@primedia.com

I'm still gettin' it in the mail and got that one yesterday but haven't read it yet. But hey, I just read it for the color schemes - really. I don't make it under the hood cause don't really care how they feel like jakin' up a perfectly good truck.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Isn't Rob Fortier the Chebby guy in charge of "Classic Trucks", and not "Custom Classic Trucks"?
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Not sure but I did realize I mistook the name for Classic Trucks. Figured that out after I didn't find any '66 Slick in this one.

Shooooooot, sorry. Feel free to email him anyway, heh heh. :mrgreen:
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I am done emailing that loser.
He knows what I think. :twisted:
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

If you read the articles introducing the new staff, both of them worked ob "Super Chevy" magazine and 1 worked for "Classic Chevy". You can see where it is headed as they had a tech article on installing a grill in a 88 Chebby! Since when is an 88 anything a classic??????? Can't wait till next month when the show installing a K&N filter on a Dodge ram.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Yeah they ought to be good and SICK of chebby's by now I figure.

Got that editorial article handy with the picture of the empty Shiner Bocks laying there Greg? I want that dude's email before they get on the one-way track to Turdville again.
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

Johnny Canuck wrote:I am done emailing that loser.
He knows what I think. :twisted:

And I can tell you first hand, he admires you in the same loving light...(insert heavy sarcasm)

I have said it before, show them a magazine quality truck and they will run it. The prejudice you percieve is purely your own. Most all magazine guys I know and some mere aquaintences have no brand preference, they just like hot rods and cool trucks.

Just because you see the world through blue oval glasses doesn't mean the rest of the world should.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Steve. Nobody is coming to Canada to photograph my truck even if it's gold plated (which it isn't), so don't give me that.
Rob didn't acknowledge my email so I doubt he knows/cares if I am alive or dead or even exist on planet Earth.

There are PLENTY of trucks in this club that go to shows and live in the States, and which they could photograph any day of the week.

But they don't. So, I am calling BS on that one.

Apparently though, I heard a rumour that if you buy some advertizing for your business in their magazine, your chances of getting your truck published increase dramatically. Just a rumour tho. Can't confirm or deny it, myself.
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

Dude, seriously I have been in Rob's office and we talked about you specifically. Choose not to belive me, that is your choice but he does read your Email and has taken you for being a "typically" caustic Ford only advocate. He gets similar Email from Chevy only guys, Mopar only guys, Studebaker only guys, Hudson only guys and so forth. It would seem every niche group is slighted somehow by showing too much of the "other" guys cars and trucks, so they must be on the right track :lol:

You may not belive it but the group magazine office is small, about a fifth of my shop or smaller, and houses several magazines. They maybe have two or three guys working directly for the magazine and they also freelance for the others in a CO-OP sort of way. Unless someone is going to attend a show or visit family in your area they are not going to bust the (tiny) budget to seek out trucks that you like. You are going to have to let them know you exist.

I am trying to get a few different things done at the same time I post so I may not come off as clear as I would like. So let me rephrase this in clearer terms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Have your truck profesionaly shot, best choice is to pick one of the freelance artists the magazines already use.

Pick a location befitting your style and something that works with the colors of your truck.

Sign the release form and let your freelancer take it to the mag.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, that is all there is to it. That and have a vehicle of interest, I mean stock is fine but the main focus of these magazines is CUSTOM, so much so it is in thier title.

I had originally picked Chris Shelton from Street Rodder magazine (also freelance for Classic Trucks) because of our relation outside of advertising, contrary to your assumption.

Due to scheduling conflicts and pressure from guys like Jim Rizzo and Rob Fortier who had seen my truck at events in Califiornia and Las Vegas and on the internet, we arranged for Rick Amado ( www.rickamado.com ) to do the shots.

Since then I attend as many shows outside of my hometown as possible. It's all about exposure and how friendly you are. Because, if you never let your truck out of the garage or if your a bitter a$$hole know one will know about your truck or won't want to deal with you.

I have made a lot of friends inside the industry, magazine and manufacturing by being aproachable and jovial. I get the ink because I build cool stuff and I don't pressure these guys, I just stick to what I know.

When I worked at The Rod Factory I met Tom McMullen and Tom Vogle, these guys were the real deal, veteran magazine guys. I watched my boss Carl corner Tom McMullen in his office and badger him relentlessly about the sheer power of his Macintosh computer and berate him on ad placement in the magazine. Tom Vogle spent his time shooting rolls of film of my work and befriending me, a kid, because I was the one building hotrods and living the life. Thats when it clicked for me, these guys are just like me, this is where I belonged. It is about the cars, building them, driving them and having fun above all. Not haggling about who got coverage and who didn't.

Because of the relationship I formed over the last 10+ years I get to see the inside guts, the ups and downs and sometimes privy to the serious side and insider information. I don't envy these guys jobs, there are too many Carls to deal with and not enough young kids picking up where their fathers left off.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Commendable, Steve that you have found your 'niche' in the world.

I wish you the greatest success possible.

Very cool you telling these other guys with real show trucks how to do it.

Me.. I 'm just another joe.

I hope some of our nicer trucks take your good advice..

JC
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

I aint gonna put my foot in my mouth on this one......

I dont profess to have a mag quality truck. I dont think i ever will unless it is in the hemmings abandonded truck calender.....

Brother John. When your truck is done it will be mag quality. Not many mercs in them so they may allow it in.,..LOL

Garbz
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

let me rephrase that

Goat did make the coverage of the supernationals in Classic Trucks....I knew i beached her in front of the hotel for a reason....LOL (everyone parked well away from her)

Garbz