headliners?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

needmoretime

headliners?

Post by needmoretime »

What are the options for headliners. I know about rod doors. Would the original one that is new be worthy of an upohster shop covering like a newer car? Can they just make one out of a pattern?

What has everone done in this department?

Thanks
:roll:
reeses66ford

Post by reeses66ford »

if you can get some realy small 8x10 panaling cheep at lowes dont do real wood and take your old head liner down you can make a pattern out of it you may have to wet your old headliner and put some thing heavy on it to make it flat. but it will work! and you can paint or cover it the whay you like.
reese
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Thin hardboard. Like Reese says, use your old headliner for a pattern. This would need to be molded to shape, lay it across the roof and lay some damp towels across it. It will bow over the edges.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

I used a old one for a pattern and then traced the outline to a plastic election sign. It was one that is corragated like cardboard is. It was easy to form but sturdy enough to keep its shape plus its light enough to put up. I covered it with suede leather. To bend the plastic material I just layed the edges I wanted to bend on my table and pressed down. IT bends easy and keeps the shape I wanted. I got about 15 bucks in it and that was the cost of the leather. Its at
http://fordtruk.com/forums/album_showpa ... user_id=25
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Go to Lowes, Home Depot, or Menard's, who ever sponsors your favorite race team. They sell 4'x8' sheets of 1/8" thick white styrene or ABS that is used on bathroom walls. A sheet is about $20. Use an old cardboard headliner as a pattern and cut out a replacement from the plastic sheet.
Instead of using the stock steel clips at the back, I wonder if you couldn't make some angle strips from the scrap to put behind the seam and glue the top and the back pieces to them with PVC pipe glue? Would probably be real tricky.
When finished, paint the plastic or glue your material to it. RodDoors uses velcro to hold their headliners in place. No reason why you couldn't also. Be sure to use some kind of insulation behind the headliner while you have it out. I use Astro-foil from Menard's.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

National Parts Depot has them too. Cheaper than roddors, with less hassles. Free delivery over a certain order price, too.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

willy3486 wrote:I used a old one for a pattern and then traced the outline to a plastic election sign. It was one that is corragated like cardboard is. It was easy to form but sturdy enough to keep its shape plus its light enough to put up. I covered it with suede leather. To bend the plastic material I just layed the edges I wanted to bend on my table and pressed down. IT bends easy and keeps the shape I wanted. I got about 15 bucks in it and that was the cost of the leather. Its at
http://fordtruk.com/forums/album_showpa ... user_id=25

I bet that guy lost the election!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

I used .035 alum. traced the old one on it. Using spray adhesive i then glued 1/4 inch foam backing. Then glued the vinyl to the foam backing. Since i took out the gas tank i cut a panel to go from the back window to the floor and from door jamb to door jamb. Using alum. i was able to pre shape it close to the shape of the area it was to be installed. that helped prevent wrinkels wend i glued on the foam and vinyl.
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
flgargoyle

Post by flgargoyle »

What do you do when the old headliner is missing? All I have is two small pieces that fit the corners.
Jay
'64 Short Wide
'96 F150 SWB 4.9 auto
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

flgargoyle wrote:What do you do when the old headliner is missing? All I have is two small pieces that fit the corners.

You ask a nice guy on here to get you a template. :lol:

I know there are a few guys that have the templates or have it out to make one.

I am going to go with the Rod Doors unit. (some day... :roll: )
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread