Cigar lighter

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

j-mac

Cigar lighter

Post by j-mac »

Alright, another stupid question from me:

What do I need to hook up the cigar lighter in my 62?

The lighter socket is there, but no wire hooked up to it. I have a whole mess of wiring underneath my dash (PO did all kinds of wacky wiring all over the truck). I do have one wire that I've tested to be working... I'm not super familiar with wiring still - but it doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to do.

The lighter itself didn't actually come with the truck, so the socket may not even work. I really just want it to plug an ipod into for some tunes in the old girl.
Comet

Post by Comet »

If memory serves, the housing acts as the ground, so just a hot wire to the terminal and go. You can use a keyed on, or constant hot. I prefer constant hot in case you plug something in the lighter for power, the key doesn't need to be on.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
j-mac

Post by j-mac »

I didn't even think about keyed vs. constant hot, but that makes sense - thank you muchly Comet.

Forgive me for my ignorance but I've just never done this stuff before. Do I just attach the wire to a ring terminal, and then stick that on the back of the lighter housing?

My knowledge is starting from scratch here! :oops:
Comet

Post by Comet »

Yep, I think that's all it takes! Mine works that way anyway. But I have an aftermarket housing from Schuck's or something and use a re-popped element from Mac's Ford. But I'm pretty sure the originals worked the same way. Just make sure you have good contact with the metal dash for a ground.
Comet

Post by Comet »

Oh, and you don't need to apologize, everyone starts somewhere. Funny, when I posted originally, I didn't notice who asked the question! I know you! :D
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

j-mac wrote:I didn't even think about keyed vs. constant hot, but that makes sense - thank you muchly Comet.

Forgive me for my ignorance but I've just never done this stuff before. Do I just attach the wire to a ring terminal, and then stick that on the back of the lighter housing?

My knowledge is starting from scratch here! :oops:

I would check it with a jumper wire first.
Jim
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Jim,
the ring terminal idea may work but it will be REAL close to touching the housing and shorting out. You can bend the terminal or , as the factory did, use an end like is on your coil with the elbow that just pops onto the stud ---plus its protected.

Tim

no question is a dumb question!
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.