Lower Radiator Hose

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Vinnie

Lower Radiator Hose

Post by Vinnie »

Well, I finaly replaced my water pump on the 390 this week, while doing so I wrecked my 15 year old lower hose. I have now tried 5 different hoses from the local box store and can't get any to fit. Do any of you have a recomendation for me?

61 Uni/390 FE

Thanks, Vinnie
Vinnie
Slickless in Seattle
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

NAPA?
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
reeses66ford

Post by reeses66ford »

NO OREILLY AUTO PARTS JUST TAKE IT UP THERE AND THAY CAN GET YOU ONE THAT WILL WORK! I WORK THERE, :D
reese
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Ask for one for a 70 f-100 with 390 :D
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
Comet

Post by Comet »

Vinnie, I assume you are getting the right part, but not fitting correctly. On mine I had to cut a few inches off each side to get the kink out of the hose. But I'm sure your engine placement is different than mine. What specifically is the problem? Not long enough, too short, kinking?
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
Vinnie

Post by Vinnie »

Comet, the problem is getting a hose that is 2 1/8th to fit on the pump, have the right angle and have it 1 3/4 on the other end. I have come close, but could not get the right combination. I found a place today that took there time and looked up a hose that may fit. Other wise, I'm not sure what to do. Which hose did you start with on yours?
Vinnie
Vinnie
Slickless in Seattle
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
DanSanDiego2000

Did we Mickey Mouse our conversion??

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

As much as it may sound like a typical PO bonehead move..... when my dad and I put the V8 radiator into his L6 240, we had to improvise with hoses. On the water pump end we used the 6cyl hose, and on the radiator end, we used one of the corrugated, universal flex hoses. The correct smaller diameter went onto the water pump, the larger flex hose went onto the radiator, and we used a straight section of copper tubing to slip them together. The coupler had to be small enough to slip into the smaller hose, and the larger hose squeezed down with hose clamps to secure to the coupler. It's been driven 60,000 or more miles since then..... never the slightest issue with it since.
Comet

Post by Comet »

Vinnie wrote:Comet, the problem is getting a hose that is 2 1/8th to fit on the pump, have the right angle and have it 1 3/4 on the other end. I have come close, but could not get the right combination. I found a place today that took there time and looked up a hose that may fit. Other wise, I'm not sure what to do. Which hose did you start with on yours?
Vinnie

I used a stock lower rad. hose from a '71 F250
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D