"It was running when I parked it."

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Bayou66

"It was running when I parked it."

Post by Bayou66 »

Hey guys,

I'm new to your forum and have to say I am very impressed with all the help you give each other. Now I hope you can help me tackle some of my problems.

I just got a 66 F100 from my brother-in-law who is a great guy, but very limited in mechanical details. Which means there is a lot to do.

The truck has been sitting up for some time (inspection expired in 12-98).

It has a 302 and auto transmission put in by the man that owned it previously. The engine is free, but I didn't want to try to start it until I got some advice about any procedures I should follow. I was told I should put some oil in each of the cylinders before trying to turn it over. Also should I do anything to the transmisson.

Any advice would be appreciated.

...Scott...
jimbob1021

Post by jimbob1021 »

if it was me the first thing i would do is replace the engine oil and filter befour i tryed to start it if it has points i would put them in to if the engine did not get any water down the intake the cylinders should be fine you should think about puting in a set of spark plugs also as far as the transmission the only thing you might have to do is the front and rear seals. and replace the old gas that does not do the carb any good and makes for hard starting hope this helps you out . jim :D
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

WELCOME!!

What he said...

to elaborate a little...

1) Put new gas in it. Gas has a shelf life of a few months with out stabilizer (from what you said he probly did use any). The old gas is still good for cleaning parts, it just smells realy bad.

I would drain the tank, and put a good filter on it. The put a few gal in it, this way when you get it running it will slosh around a bit to clean out the tank (did I say a GOOD filter? :D )

2) New Plugs and Wires, Points and condensor (if you have them).

3) Oil & Filter Change!

4) Make sure the engine and Battery are well grounded to the frame. This will make sure the starter is getting full juice!

You should be clear to start her up!!

5) Jack up the I-Beams and pump some grease in there! You jack them up so the lube gets to that parts that are normaly under load. Do the stearing linkage too.

6) Blead the brakes and inspect them (replace fix as needed). The last thing you want to do is get on the road and not be able to stop! :oops:

7) Check / Replace the fluid in the trans AND the DIFF!! A lot of trucks leek out almost all the fluid out of the rear end and never know it! This does not do nice things to the bearings or the gears back there!

8) Brake lites? Turn signals?

Now take it out and show it off!!

Ohhh....

PICTURES!!
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Bayou66

Post by Bayou66 »

Thanks!

I will start on it in the morning.

I have a few pics up on my profile, looks pretty rough. I had to tell SWMBO that I was fixing it up for my son. He's 7 so I have plenty of time :D !

...Scott...
William-in-St. George

Nice looking old Ford

Post by William-in-St. George »

Be fun to install a big 460 with C6 and leave the rest as is! Imagine the look when you pass some SUV at 75 or so on the freeway! Well maybe some disk brakes and shocks and tires first. But leave the paint "rat rod". IMHO!
When you have 90% of what you want, think twice about insisting on the other 10%! Thomas Sowell
Comet

Post by Comet »

Buy a couple fuel filters while you're at it and replace as needed. Buy the kind you can see through so you know how much crud you have.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
ABA

Post by ABA »

Comet wrote:Buy a couple fuel filters while you're at it and replace as needed. Buy the kind you can see through so you know how much crud you have.
I always run atleast 2 inline filters, one before the fuel pump and one after the fuel pump.

Watch out for pieces of rust and scale blocking the pickup tube in the tank. Keep a spare piece of fuel line handy so you can blow though the pickup tube to unblock it.

There may be a small screen type filter inside the tank. You may want to pull the sending unit out and check it.
I may be wrong, could have been that '69 Galaxie I had, be worth checking out though.

Good Luck :D
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
jimbob1021

Post by jimbob1021 »

we all have to start some were :P jim