rear end question?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bab85

rear end question?

Post by bab85 »

i have a 63 ford f1oo. it is a 223 4spd. the main bearing and/or shaft is going bad and making some noise. i have a good 302 and auto trani i was thinking of putting in it. it has a 9inch rear with 3.89 gears someone told me that the old rear ends would not hold up to very much horsepower. i was wondering if someone could tell me if that is true and if so what year i would need to switch to. thank you
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

if its basically a stock 302, that 9 inch well easily handle it.
i had a 302 in a 61 uni and never had any trouble.
they are a nice compact good amount of hp engine.
good luck with that swap 8)
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

As long as the rear is in good shape you will not have a problem. The Ford 9" rear end is the strongest rear going. With some mods it is being used in top fuel racing. It is the rear end of choice for most racing classes.
Tom Williams
grabber64

Post by grabber64 »

that is a 9 inch rear. they can handle your 302 with ease. if you want high horsepower then go with the 31 spline axles. i haven't ripped out a 29 spline yet. they would put the same setup behind a granny car with a 390 or 428 cj.
bab85

Re: rear end question?/ trani opinion

Post by bab85 »

bab85 wrote:i have a 63 ford f1oo. it is a 223 4spd. the main bearing and/or shaft is going bad and making some noise. i have a good 302 and auto trani i was thinking of putting in it. it has a 9inch rear with 3.89 gears someone told me that the old rear ends would not hold up to very much horsepower. i was wondering if someone could tell me if that is true and if so what year i would need to switch to. thank you

does anyone have an opinion an what they think is cooler and more practical, should i find another 4spd or go with the auto, i want to actually drive and use the truck a little. would anyone know where i could get a good 4spd at?
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

http://www.4speedtoploaders.com/
If you plan to drive it alot you might consider a M5OD from a 90s F 150 (make sure the shifter seal is good though), or a Mustang T-5 with a tailshaft housing form a S-10 T-5 (moves the shifter to the right place for our trucks). An AOD automatic isn't bad either, just get one from a 5.0 Mustang or from behind a 5.8, they have more clutches.
Unless you already have a 5.0 get one of those from a Mustang also, they have a roller cam and the HO heads so the torque is better for heavier vehicles, another option is a 5.0 from an Explorer, roller cam engine also with GT-40 heads. The extra torque will give you better efficiency because the engine won't work as hard to move the truck. The headers on these engines should also work in your slick.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

the 3.89 is a wicked rear end with a V8. I put a 390 in front of mine, and it scorched the tires easy, and chirped rubber when it hit second.

THe 9 inches are seriously the best thing ever created. I just wish mine was a posi trac/locker

I wonder what your buddy thought you should get??? A C#@^Y 10 bolt?? ha probably. lots of idiots like them! and they'll blow chunks easy!
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
61ford

Post by 61ford »

hes probably talking bout how the pre 65 9 inch rear tended to snap where the axle tubes were butt welded to the pumpkin housing.
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
Xcessive

Post by Xcessive »

most chevy guys (like me) know that the 10 bolt isn't worth much... For a play around toy with 300 or so HP they are fine.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

bab85 wrote:someone told me that the old rear ends would not hold up to very much horsepower.

You were obviously talking to some goofy cheXXy numbskull.
9" FORD rear end is the drag racer's choice by 15 country miles.

One of the funniest thing I ever saw was, at the hundred footer drags they have here every July, some twit in a belly button Nova's rear end go kaflooey when the lights turned. I damn near peed meself :arse: ...and so did he.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Ford 9" is "bulletproof" for that type use.
unless your hauling weight or have a 4x4 and need or want a 4.10 or 4.56 then the Dana 60 or 70 is my choice.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

61ford wrote:hes probably talking bout how the pre 65 9 inch rear tended to snap where the axle tubes were butt welded to the pumpkin housing.

so it sounds like a little reinforcement might be an order? I think I may do that before I add any more power to aggie!!!
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage