King pins?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SoonerStateRedneck

King pins?

Post by SoonerStateRedneck »

I've been driving my 66 F250 back and forth to work the last few weeks, I've been noticing a lil front end wobble as i'm driving at highway speeds. Could this be the king pins? If so, How tough of a job is this to replace them?
ABA

Post by ABA »

I would check tie rod ends or ball joints first.
Jack one tire up at a time and see if you got any side to side movement. That center ball joint may be your problem.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Easy diagnosis, not so easy fix sometimes. Getting old king pins out of the axles is sometimes difficult. May have to resort to hotwrench to heat up axle, to drive out pin. Diagnosis, jack up one side at a time, and check for play. Place hands at twelve o'clock and 6 and move in and out. If there is play, then check for play at 3 and 9, to try and determine if you have loose wheel bearings or bad kingpins. I would also check my tires for pattern wear, and balance. I would also check all the tie rod ends, by having someone rock the wheel, while you hold each tie rod end. Hold both connecting parts, as it is often easier to feel play, than see it. Have plenty of rags and some hand cleaner handy, you will need it. Other places to check, rubber bushings on the axles, and rubber bushings on the braces, coming from the axles to frame. Usually, the kingpin s are a farm out job, unless you have a kingpin reamer, and driver, for the bushings. Make sure you get the grease holes lined up when installing bushings. One piece of advice sI picked up on this site from a fellow member. Jack the axle up, so the wheel is off the ground when greasing the kingpins, lets the grease get where it needs to be. Common sence really.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
jimbob1021

Post by jimbob1021 »

your king pins is what hold's the caster and camber and is the pivit point for turning and with out the right tool's they are hell to replace your problem could be in the drag link were it mount's to the pitmem arm or one of the inner or outer tierod ends hope this helps you out jim.
ABA

Post by ABA »

Same thing I said but I forget what the parts are called. :wink:
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i got a 65 f250 earlier this year, mainly for the cab and bed and all the custom cab trim.after i removed the front clip i got an excellent view of the kingpins.enough slop in the holes that you could fit a piece of pipe around them at the top.as it was never running i could not tell you how it steered but i would bet terrible.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Texas Monty

king pins

Post by Texas Monty »

I had plenty of play in the top to btm movement when I jacked the wheel to move it. No question - King pins - were bad. but I also had a bad drag link - that contributed to the side to side play.

and a good shop - find a good shop. I know good shop here in Austin, and the one Skip recs - in Houston. but ask around and take your time. A big truck shop has more experience with straight axles. The pros - that I talk to - don't recommend poly bushings.

and one other thing - my 64 had been driven with bad king pins for so long that it wore the axle eye - right side - had to pull it and get a machine shop to ream and re sleeve. Knew right off the bat when that king pin FELL out without pushing. Now that's a loose king pin.
"Linda Lou" 64-F100
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

You also should check the rear spring pins mine were worn out had to replace hanger
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
Comet

Post by Comet »

I finally had to take my axle to a shop to get my king pins out. And they told me it was a major pain for them as well.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D