Tail Light Panel

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

6Slick5

Tail Light Panel

Post by 6Slick5 »

On vacation this week and messing around with the truck. I have the rear bumper off to paint it, and thought I would look at the small amount of rust at the bottom of tail light panel.

I found that somebody had done some work there before and that caused the rust. Instead of pounding out the dent they welded a piece of metal over the dent and then filled it on in with lead. This must have been from a long time ago because of the lead repair.

Any way on to my question. Does anybody make a replacement panel for this part of the bed or do I have to try and make a patch?

Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

Thanks
Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
65 Karmen Ghia (Son's Car)
Iron Horse Bicycle, trying to save some gas money!
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

66 to 77 Bronco tail panel will work in a pinch

Garbz
6Slick5

Post by 6Slick5 »

Cool! I spent the last two hours beating a piece of metal, and came to the conclusion that I don't have the talent or the tools that you see on TV!

Why do they have to make it look so easy??

Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

6STANG5
I HAVE NEVER MEASURED ONE BUT THEY LOOK LIKE THE SAME PANEL ON THE OLD BRONCO 1966 TO 1977. THE BRONCO PARTS CATALOGS ARE THE ONLY PLACE I HAVE SEEN ANY.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW FOR SURE????

LONNIE
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
6Slick5

Post by 6Slick5 »

I called one of the Bronco suppliers and they did not know if it would work. It was interesting, when I asked about the tail light panel the person on the phone told me that I did not want one, it was poor quality. Then he told me theirs was the only one in the world that was being made. Finally I got out of him the reason he thought it was poor is because there were no brackets for the tail light to attach to. When I told him all I needed was the part below the tail light, he thought it would work good for that but still did not know for sure if it would work.

Has anybody ever used one of these?

Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
dlw66

Post by dlw66 »

I have a 66 f100 and a 77 bronco. I am replacing the tailight panel on the bronco. I will place them next to each ans compare. www.broncograveward.com is a great source for these.
dlw66

Post by dlw66 »

I just measured and compared and they are the same. The sheet metal on the replacement is a little smaller gauge. I would recommend only patching your panel and not replacing the entire corner. The new panel does not have the tabs for the tail light mounts. You have to cut off the old and weld on to the new panel.
6Slick5

Post by 6Slick5 »

Thanks for the info!

I will have to order one soon.

Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
castruck_1964
Canada

Post by castruck_1964 »

If i was you I would just use enough to repair the rusty part as there seems to be alot of good metal there :lol: . As you would have to cut and paste the brackets onto the new one anyway. There will be a lot less headaches :cry: trying to get everything to line up if try to replace the hole thing. just my opinion
Slicks rule
dd/ 19 F150,97 Tbird
62 swb bbw uni next project
460 C6

Ken
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Garbz wrote:66 to 77 Bronco tail panel will work in a pinch

Garbz

Thought i said this in the second POST.

also the 66 to 77 Bronco quarter panels will work for a bedside repair of the wheel arch.

Garbz :D