Fuel cell

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ProStreet66

Fuel cell

Post by ProStreet66 »

Has anybody ever made there own fuel cell? I would like to build my own but not sure how to go about it.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Well I would make it out of Al or SS, plain steel will rust at some point.

Simple concept realy,... :roll:

Mock up a box that fits your area/volume, weld up the bottom and sides, make a few internal bafles to prevent fuel slosh, cut out and holes on bottom and sides BEFORE you weld the top on (get the shavings out.) then weld on the top.

The hardest part is going to be getting the welds not to leek. Not hard for a good welder.

I would keep in mind the some tracks and sanctioning boddies only alow approved fuel cells. A home made one might not cut it. Take lots of pictures so you can prove it is safe (if it is :shock: )

I plan to make mine, I am a long way from that!

You might want to check out No Limmit, they can custom build tanks, and you would probly have a better chance at getting therse accepted over a home made one.

Just my :2cents:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
jimbob1021

Post by jimbob1021 »

a tig welder works the best for that type of fab work 8)
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

just at a guess, (never made one myself) but TIG'n aluminum would be my best choice. Aluminum is very easy to work with, easy to bend and shape, easy to weld, (Stainless can be a pain if you've never done it before, especially the very light gauge stainless) and usually aluminum comes out with a prettier weld for a new TIG welder. Cutting and shearing aluminum is also a huge difference from SS. An average little stomp sheer can usually handle fairly good sized aluminum, but it takes a pretty beefy sheer to cut anything but the thinest stainless.

the easiest way to check for leaks though (for me anyway) is to put a ball valve with an air hose end and a pressure gauge on the tank, hook it up to your compressor, pressurize it to about 5 or 10 pounds, (more or less depending on what youre doing) then take a bucket of soap and a brush and brush all the welds til you find air bubbles.

Hope that helps a little.
prost66

fuel cell

Post by prost66 »

I have an aluminum Triangle Engineering fuel cell in my 66. I was going to make my own since I made the billet dash,knobs,pedals,door pulls,battery box,master cylinder cover,exhaust hangers,wire looms,console cover,Radiator shroud,etc. But by the time I bought the Filler cap,fuel sender gage,and a sheet of aluminum,it would have been a wash,and I can't lay down an aluminum weld bead as nice as the one on my cell,I bought it at Summit Racing under $200.00. Pictures of all, are in my album. Merle
1966 F-100 "Grabber Blue" Pro St. [ 99 to 44/100% pure recycled FORD ]