figured out what the noise was

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

thomasphilbeck

figured out what the noise was

Post by thomasphilbeck »

Well i was coming home from work when the back of the truck started to feel like it was draging then lost all power to the rearend and watched as the left rear axle came out the truck. Guess i had a bad wheel bearing. What a way to start my weekend. :?
Comet

Post by Comet »

Ugh! Any damage to the truck? A couple weeks ago I saw a '69 F100 do the same thing. Completely tore up the bed. It was a nice truck too. WAS!
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
SCWIDVICIOUS

Post by SCWIDVICIOUS »

had that to happen to me in an s-10 once. it was the right side on it.
Hope your truck is OK!
Rick
1965 F100, 352, Cruise-0-Matic
thomasphilbeck

Post by thomasphilbeck »

I have no apparent damage yet the axle didn't make it all the way out. I had a tow truck lift it up so i could push i back in and towed it the four blocks i had left till i made it home. I am however thinking im in the wrong business cause the tow truck made 80 bucks to go 1/4 of a mile.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i think $80 is a bit steep for that, considering the amount of towtrucks in the big H.
$50 is more like it.
dont lock your keys in your truck, i charge $65 minimum, more if its over 15 miles.i can open a new ford truck almost as fast as you can with the key.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

When I was much younger (no comments) I had a full size cab over camper in my stock, at the time, 66 F100. Going down I-5 in Oregon in a snow storm (sometimes we actually get snow around here) I had the same thing happen. This was the second time this happened to me, the first when I was hauling too much firewood. Long story short, I didn't hit the brakes but let it drag to a stop at the side of the road in the snow. The race had heated up and allowed the axle to "spit" out. From my past experience I pulled the extra axle out, jacked the truck up and was able to get home. The old axle was bent pretty good but the tire was OK.

PS, never try to weld on the race, another long story.
thomasphilbeck

Post by thomasphilbeck »

Well saturday i got both wheel bearing and seals done. The truck has never driven better or with as little noise when it just coasting you cant even tell its running. I guess they had been going out before i even bought the truck. I had just assumed it had exessive road noise since i didnt have anything to compare it to.