Ford Expo and Y-BLock Shootout, Columbus, Oh.

Car shows, swap meets, member get-togethers - post your upcoming events here.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

charliemccraney

Re: Ford Expo and Y-BLock Shootout, Columbus, Oh.

Post by charliemccraney »

Sunday was rained out so I got back last night. The Y-block turnout was pretty good, in the neighborhood of 20 cars and trucks. The overall turnout at the track was terrible. It's dropped the past two years since the NMRA got out of it. On Friday, there may have been slightly more other cars than there were Y-block vehicles. Saturday's turnout was a little better but not still way down from years before. Very few spectators.

4 guys had personal bests. Every year we get faster and faster. The majority of the group is 14s or faster and actually most of the guys in the 14s or faster group run 12s or better. Friday was just a test and tune but it was fun to see the other "modern" engine powered, big block and small block vehicles get beat by Ys. On Saturday, quite a few faster cars did show up.

Not sure what the track will do next year. We'll have to wait and see but it doesn't seem worthwhile for a turnout like that. I'll keep those of you who might be interested on going updated about that.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Thanks for the update Charlie. I always enjoy that event and that is where I first cut my teeth on real yblocks and met the guys who can make that happen. I am sorry to see it suffer over the years. I believe the Y blockers hold up their end of the bargain no problem. When I first attended it was an all-FORD event with many more vintage fords, A GIANT swap meet and some really fast FORDS. Hope it can come back.
charliemccraney

There was a single row, consisting of maybe 5 or 6 swap meet vendors. Most of them didn't stay too long. There were no big name aftermarket manufacturers like there have been in past years. Actually, there were none whatsoever, big or small. It doesn't look good for that location but we'll see what they decide for next year.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
charliemccraney

Alright, guys, this doesn't seem to do much, but again, Labor Day Weekend, Y Block shootout, National Trails Raceway, Columbus, Oh.
If it's on your bucket list, get there before it is too late!
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
charliemccraney

Change of venue and date this year:

http://www.slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35282
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody