302 Engine Assembly Date Code

TX, OK, AZ, LA, NM, AR, CO

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Farmageddon

302 Engine Assembly Date Code

Post by Farmageddon »

Hi Guys,

I was trying to figure out the engine assembly date on my 302 in my 62 uni. I understand how to decode it but mine is kinda screwy, it reads "9 04H". Shouldnt there be another digit in there somewhere?
I think the motor is a 1979 since the stock intake was a "D8" and the assembly would of been during or after that year.

This info helps me because the PS, MC, radiator, steering box, C6 and other supporting items were taken from the unknown year donor car or truck. It makes it difficult when you tell the parts guy I need a power steering box for a 1962 F100 unibody with a 302 motor. :lol:

Thanks
Toyz
United States of America

Re: 302 Engine Assembly Date Code

Post by Toyz »

Hate to break this to you, but it is going to be very difficult anyway, 302 or not.
To my knowledge, there were no power steering gearboxes for unibodies. People generally go with No Limits rack/pinion conversion, or a Toyota 4x4 box. The date code should be just behind the distributor boss as well as below the right head at the front of the block. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in engineering or casting numbers on early engines; at best, if original to the engine, they will give you an idea of first year of usage. You probably alread know the easy indicators for different years of early 302s; if not, a quick on-line search might be in order. Keep in mind, just as in your application, things get changed in a half-century.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: 302 Engine Assembly Date Code

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

9= 1969
04= 4th day of month
H= August, Ford used letters for the months except they skipped "I"

these are the dates the part was cast in the foundry, has nothing to do with assembly or even model year.

"DIF" is Dearborn iron foundry
"CIF" is Cleveland iron foundry
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton