New Guy From Texas

TX, OK, AZ, LA, NM, AR, CO

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

facepalm

New Guy From Texas

Post by facepalm »

New to the site, but not to the trucks.... I come from a long line of Ford lovers. I bought my 1st Slick in 1995, it was a 62 Unibody; which I had to sell when my son came along. I did a ton of work to that thing on less than a beer budget, most of which there is no way I would do now. That's where I learned to paint, not that I'm any better at it. I bought that sled with a 302 and a C4, which I swapped to a 460 and a C6. She was pretty fast. I'd love to find her, but I'm sure I'd get a tongue lashing from the new owner!

2 years ago I bought a 66 Flareside that I dedicate time to, good thing my wife understands, at least a little! So far on this one I've removed the old bed wood, flipped the rear axle and added lowering shackles and air bags on the leafs, built front air bag brackets with 2x4 square tubing that I welded to AIM drop beams, been through (2) wheel and tire revisions (about to be the 3rd on the front), replaced the ugly Flareside rear bumper, upgraded to power discs from a 77, ran all new brake lines, scraped some knuckles, threw some tools, and drank probably a keg of beer! All in all it's been fun.

My plans for the future are to keep the original 240 with column shift, add triple weber side drafts (I already have the intake, just need the carbs), swap to fuel injection manifolds (have those too), relocate the fuel tank to the bed (aluminium spun, I have it, just need to finish the bed floor), headliner (something different, not the normal perforated board), new carpet, door and window seals (again, have them just need time), and the list goes on.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick some brains and give any input I may have, there seems to be a lot more available now for these things with the internet than there was in 1995. I remember how hard it was to just find tail light lenses.

Thanks for the add!

-Kris
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: New Guy From Texas

Post by bobenhotep »

Hello from New Mexico

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the variety of parts that are available nowadays. There are also a lot of swaps that people have figured out where you can use newer parts to keep your old truck going. Good luck with the carb setup and be sure to post pictures.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Welcome Kris, where from Texas are you? I live in Smithville. We could be neighbors.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
facepalm

Post by facepalm »

Michelle wrote:Welcome Kris, where from Texas are you? I live in Smithville. We could be neighbors.

I'm actually in Austin (Oak Hill). My mom and brother live in Bastrop, so I know where you are. My sister-in-law works at the Roadhouse on 21, so we are out that way a bunch.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

facepalm wrote:
Michelle wrote:Welcome Kris, where from Texas are you? I live in Smithville. We could be neighbors.

I'm actually in Austin (Oak Hill). My mom and brother live in Bastrop, so I know where you are. My sister-in-law works at the Roadhouse on 21, so we are out that way a bunch.
Great, I need another truck ally in the area. I go to the Raodhouse from time to time, best burger in town. I am sending a PM your way.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.