New guy from Southwest Houston

TX, OK, AZ, LA, NM, AR, CO

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

'66 Camper Special
United States of America

New guy from Southwest Houston

Post by '66 Camper Special »

Howdy, I am a new owner (right at a month) of a '66 F250 Camper Special. From what I can tell, she is pretty much stock. 300 under the hood, 4 speed manual, the stock Autolite carb was replaced at some point with a Holley 1940 (I just rebuilt it), still manual choke, & no power steering or brakes (still drums all the way around). I have been scouring the board for info, and met some members last night when my wife and I took a short cruise to the local convenience store for our first legal cruise (just got the truck registered yesterday). Figured it was time to join. I am sure that I will continue to have questions, so I will be around as much as work allows.
1966 F250 Custom Cab Camper Special
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: New guy from Southwest Houston

Post by orangeRcode »

Many members in that area. They have frequent get togethers. Paul, Ruth and Robert, Uncle Skip, and Lyman are all in the Houston area.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

:welcome: From Kansas City,my F-350 has a 300 with a Holly 1940.Really good carb and simple......welcome aboard
Dan
'66 Camper Special
United States of America

Thanks for the welcome. It was running (but not great) when I bought it. I was having to keep the choke almost fully closed to compensate for all the air leaking in at all of the gaskets (yes, full chole in June in Texas was a slight hint that a rebuild was needed) . That however threw off the vacuum advance. Only my second carb rebuild, but only took a few hours. The first was on my first vehicle, a 1980 Datsun King Cab pickup about 20 years ago. I can definantly say the 1940 was much simpler. It also had an amazing amount of trash in the float bowl. I really don't know how it was running at all. It is running great now, and I haven't needed the choke since the rebuild.
'66 Camper Special
United States of America

orangeRcode wrote:Many members in that area. They have frequent get togethers. Paul, Ruth and Robert, Uncle Skip, and Lyman are all in the Houston area.
I think it may have been Ruth and Robert that I met. I am pretty horrible with remembering names. Very nice couple. They told me about some local classic car cruise ins in the area, as well as Slick Stock. Hopefully we will be able to make it in 2018. I will need to do some shorter shake down runs to make sure my truck is ready for that haul. I may also have to look into an a/c. Texas to Kansas in the summer with no a/c might be a bit more than my wife can handle.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

'66 Camper Special wrote:
orangeRcode wrote:Many members in that area. They have frequent get togethers. Paul, Ruth and Robert, Uncle Skip, and Lyman are all in the Houston area.
I think it may have been Ruth and Robert that I met. I am pretty horrible with remembering names. Very nice couple. They told me about some local classic car cruise ins in the area, as well as Slick Stock. Hopefully we will be able to make it in 2018. I will need to do some shorter shake down runs to make sure my truck is ready for that haul. I may also have to look into an a/c. Texas to Kansas in the summer with no a/c might be a bit more than my wife can handle.
Robert is a great guy. Keep your eyes on Ruth. She's a shifty one!

My 66 has no AC. Consequently, my wife will not ride in it. :roll:
'66 Camper Special
United States of America

My daily driver for several years was a Jeep YJ with factory a/c that has not worked for the entire time that I have owned it. So, the wife is used to cruising without a/c. I am supposed to be selling the Jeep since I bought the Slick. We are going to miss taking it to the beach though.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

It does appear to have been Ruth and Robert. They mentioned makng a u-turn to check ya'll out! Our next Grub with the Club will be a little closer, at Steamboat Bill's ( Scooter's Ice House) on North Main in Pearland on August 13th. Hopefully, Ruth added you to the email list; if not let me know. Hope to see ya'll there, as well as at some of the weekend meetsvaround the area!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
'66 Camper Special
United States of America

I gave Ruth my email address that night, but haven't gotten an email from her yet. I will have to see what my work schedule looks like on the 13th, but will try to make it. Do you know what time people show up at the Pearland Lowes on Fridays? I am going to try to make that this week. I have to be at work the next morning at 3:00am, so I won't be able to stay too late, but would like to show up for a little while.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Yeah, Friday in not a good evening for me, either! People seem to start showing up by Six-ish. I will try to make this one; probably without my Camper Special. I'll message Ruth to contact you.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul