Crockett, CA checking in.

WA, OR, CA, NV, UT, MT, ID, WY, AK, BC, AB, SASK, YK, NWT

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

milldinaire
United States of America

Re: Crockett, CA checking in.

Post by milldinaire »

I just recieved a couple of packages today which I ordered Thursday. I love you Summitracing.com. Everytime I order from them it shows up next day or the day after next. Thanks to fedex. The next package I ordered was from roushyates.com, I think it is. Awesome! Ordered jam nuts reverse thread. Same as above only the send 2nd day priority, and not rip you off with some bs charge you second day and have you wait 6 days. Love you guys too. Now these are two examples of companies that want your business and care about their customers... Very smart in my opinion.

Now this leads me to my third package that is very important to me advancing to the next step in my build. That package consists of high misalignment spacers for my heim joints. The company that I chose to go with. Their product seems to be of quality, and the price was very right. But, you see I have to wait 6 days to find this out because I paid something like $14.00 to have them shipped out on the slow brown bus route from some hick town in some hick state. WTF!!! Anyway, let me chill. This company certainly has two of the happy customer formula down. Why do these companies continue to use the short brown bus shipment service? Six days? The post office is faster and cheeper....

The next fastest rate was something like $25 or $28 or some shit like that.

With that said here are a couple of pics of some, not all the pieces for my four link. I'm really excited to put this together and looking forward to the end result. Thanks for taking your time to view my rant and if you should happen to feel the same way I do. Feel free to write about it or oppose and right about it. Thanks.

milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Got my final pieces to the rearend and bagun assembly yesterday. This is the end result and I am pretty pleased. I can't wait to see this under the truck. Hopefully I will get to that sooner than later. I set the mounts to a neutral position. I'm not to sure what pinion angle yet, because I am going to run a two piece driveshaft with a carrier bearing. So, if anybody has a two piece f100 long bed driveshaft setup they could part with. Let me know.

rbeck204
United States of America

Post by rbeck204 »

I have quite a few drive shaft pieces so I could probably piece one together. I will be back in California on June 6. (John knows where I live)
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Rich, that would be a great help.
6ftdwn57

Post by 6ftdwn57 »

looking good! Summit sure does have it together. Everytime I order from them, or Jegs, it's a two day affair. But I live in PA, which is way closer to Ohio. Is there enough adjustment out of the heim joints to get your pinion angle? My 352/3-speed was around 8 degrees when I set my pinion. I was just wondering if you knew how many degrees of adjustment you can get out of them?
66 Layin Low
6ftdwn57

Post by 6ftdwn57 »

Taking a second look I see your brackets have quite a few position holes to choose from. Looks like adjusting pinion angle shouldn't be a problem. What rear are you running there? And I'm guessing youre running a parallel 4-link to the inside of the frame rails? And bags over axle I assume? Can't wait to see what you have in mind for your forward link mounts.
66 Layin Low
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Things are lookin good wont be long till that thing is rollin.

Richard, Looks like the end of May got canceled? Let us know when that work party gets set up.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

6ftdwn57 wrote:Taking a second look I see your brackets have quite a few position holes to choose from. Looks like adjusting pinion angle shouldn't be a problem. What rear are you running there? And I'm guessing youre running a parallel 4-link to the inside of the frame rails? And bags over axle I assume? Can't wait to see what you have in mind for your forward link mounts.

6ftswn57, I am going to run a two piece driveshaft. One off the tranny to the carrier bearing. Then from bearing to the rearend. I was going to set pinion to the carrier bearing angle if any. The reason for a two piece driveshaft vs. a single is the shaft would interfear with the cab when I drop it down. You get a great amount of adjustment out of these brackets and adjustable bars. I plan on running some bags on the outside of the frame, measurements permitting of course. The idea is to lay the bed on the ground sitting on 22"s. I'm thinking, with the watt's link and four link. I ought to be able to run some narrow triple bellows. We'll see.

The rearend I'm running is a 8.8 out of a 90's crown vic. The forward mounts now that is going to be interesting...

Thanks for viewing and I hope this answers some Q's.

Jeremiah
Last edited by milldinaire on May 20, 2014, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Thanks John. Rolling would be nice :mrgreen:
6ftdwn57

Post by 6ftdwn57 »

hmmm...just ran into issues last night while trying to install my driveshaft. Hits the back of the cab almost instantly when I go to drop it down off the jack stands. Now I am very intensely watching to see your two piece driveshaft setup! Thanks for the info!

Steve
66 Layin Low
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

No prob Steve. Any help I could offer. I'll gladly do so.
6ftdwn57

Post by 6ftdwn57 »

get any wrench time in lately?
66 Layin Low
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Naw. Been welding up a Harley transmisson case lately. Been a real pain in the ass. Was planing on it today, but I got to go support a co workers daughter who has lukimia. Hopefully I'll find some time this weekend.
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Got a little bit doin today. In a hurry today. Here goes nothing.
6ftdwn57

Post by 6ftdwn57 »

looks awesome!
66 Layin Low
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Hey, thanks man. I have some more work done just dont really wanna post pics till this section is completed. As of now I have the frame fully boxed and the rear frame mounts boxed out and grinded. Just gotta fab up some gussets from the boxes to the frame. Should look pretty sick. Then build the rear bars. Also build the watts bars and figure out where I need to bend the watts bars to get them to fit. Been alot of work and third kid on the way. So, my time in the garage is little and far between. It's pretty funny, I got this truck just before my first kid was born and now Im on my third. But, still find some time for progress. Hopefully I get some time this weekend and I'll post some pics.
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Been a busy week here at the house on my off time. The week kicked off with my buddy John (Unibody Madness) swinging by with a few pairs of f250 2 piece drive shafts. Which rich (rbeck204) so graciously offered up for my build. So thankful, thanks rich. Now I can start piecing my drivetrain together. After john stopped buy I started putting in my bed posts for the support frame. After I got four posts in I had to remove the rest of the sheet metal in the bed. Plasma time! Oh yeah! That took all of ten minutes. Then the lucky guy I am. Mr. Unibody Madness gave me a shout out today and came over and we blew through hooking up my 4 link. So damn sweet! Thanks dude much appreciated. So that is where I am at till I weld up my tubs. Get my air baggage stuffs. Man I am so JUICED!

Oh a side note. Don't try to press in bushings on rod ends with your home depot vice. Totally exploded mine. Broke the whole jaw off. Lesson learned.

I also put my body panels on fenders and such. In one of my last posts I moved the core support mount hole forward 3/16 on the drivers side. What a difference that made in the alignment of everything up front.

Well thanks for reading. Here's some pics.

6ftdwn57

Post by 6ftdwn57 »

hell yea! good lord that looks beefy! that bed isn't going anywhere haha. and those front 4 link mounts are a work of art. are you going to tie the front mounts in together somehow? like build a bridge to clear the driveshaft? this thing looks so strong, I love it.
66 Layin Low
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Not sure yet... I am going to gusset giant gussets from frame to pontoon top and bottom and half way around the back. Then cut a piece to cap the rear. I was kinda going for an open middle. Still undecided. That is why I left the 2x4 end pieces sticking out. For a safety standpoint it would be good to have a loop or something.

I have a turbo setup to build for this 390, also a 460 sitting on the side. Turbo of course. I have alot more tricks up my sleeve for this truck. So, I must consider the horsepower issues.

Also thanks. That is the response I am shooting for. :rocker:
6ftdwn57

Post by 6ftdwn57 »

as large as the contact area of the mounts are to the frame, if you put in healthy sized gussets like you said, I would think that would be plenty strong enough. But yea maybe a driveshaft loop wouldnt be a bad idea either since now I know youre building a monster of a powerplant!
66 Layin Low