My 66 chassis swap

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RRTEC

Re: My 66 chassis swap

Post by RRTEC »

Sweet build!! Can't wait to see it done.
sloth71

Post by sloth71 »

SOOOO, It has been a busy 6 months. I haven't been that busy with the truck due to buying a new house ( read: a ton of honey do's) and work has been really busy. I have gotten a couple things done, ordered some parts, and learned a few lessons.While I was at work, I ordered quite a few parts. I ordered a 3.73 gear set, axle housing rebuild kit, coil-overs for the front, wheel spacers, and drilled and slotted rotors for the front and rear. I bought the Viking coil-overs and the mounting kit from Andrew Peterson. Image

I bought a 2001 CV rear end with limited slip diff, but one of the axle tubes was SHOT and the other wasn't very pretty either. So, I went to the U-pull-it and got a rear out of a 2001 Grand Marquis (I basically wasted a day of tearing down one rear to find out it was not a good candidate to build and going to the U-Pull-It to get the new builder). I took the limited slip out of the CV ( at least it wasn't a complete waste), changed the gears out to the new 3.73 gears, and replaced all seals and bearings. I cleaned it up and put a good coat of Duplicolor Gloss Black on it. Image
Hopefully, when I get back from work, I will be able to swap the 2001 rear end in and the 08 rear out. The 2001 Rear will bolt into place using all of the suspenion from the 2008 with the exception of the chock mounts. The shock mounts on the 2008 frame are on the outside of the frame, and will have to be removed for wheel clearance. The 2001 rearend is 62.8" from wheel mount to wheel mount, which is 5.2" narrower than the 2008 rear. I will be able to run my current wheels with the spacers that I bought. Once I get the rear end mounted, I will check clearances to see what is possible.
Choppermike

Post by Choppermike »

Any Progress?
1962 F100 Unibody- Ol' Jack
65 Mustang Coupe
92 Mustang LX
2006 Mustang

[albumimg]3443[/albumimg]