my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

Brakes bled! I finished that project this morning. Need to adjust the star wheels but I ordered the self adjuster style that Tom recommended I look into.

I removed the 70’s style brake light brackets and installed the earlier version brake lights.

Finished driver hinge bolt adjustment, but need help to change out the passenger side.

I actually put my tools away. Because this mess was out of control.

My Holley is sitting in a can of dip right now too.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Jason_S
United States of America

Post by Jason_S »

shipwrecked wrote:Need to plumb the fuel lines from tank to fuel pump, but not sure how large they need to be. I assume 1/4 or 5/16.?
IIRC, the fuel line on my '64 with 223 is 5/16"
"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

1964 F-100, 223/3-spd
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

shipwrecked wrote:Need to plumb the fuel lines from tank to fuel pump, but not sure how large they need to be. I assume 1/4 or 5/16.?
April,

I'm pretty sure 5/16 was the standard size hard line for both 6 cyl and V8 engines, you can always go bigger but wouldn't want to go smaller.

Jon
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Been buying on amazon and eBay in prep for my electrical work. Got a pleasant surprise from the USPS today.

I purchased a 22pin weatherpak plugkit, multiple plug variety packs and of course a 220 piece “kit” that included the crimping pliers needed to set the pins. I think they were reasonable priced.

The plug is just slightly bigger than the stock hole. The parking brake is right below so maybe not much to do about making the hole bigger.

There is another punch out nearby, but I need to check for clearance on the other side.

I dipped the Holley 1940 carb yesterday... May assemble that bad boy later today.

This is how cruddy it was.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Spent more time out in my freezing garage.

Then side tracked with that carb. Finished cleaning and it’s resting on my kitchen counter. Lord knows why I’m still single.

CHecked the inside of the cab for obstructions if I used that 22 pin plug.
The other punchout is for a hydraulic clutch which I don’t have.

I had a female coupling pvc piece that happened to be the right size for measuring the plug diameter.
Image.
I’d have to trim a little here or put a spacer in for the inside of the cab where the 3” of female plug would sit..

Run to Home Depot for a few supplies... yes I know Sundae is spelled wrong. Spell check autocorrected it without me noticing,

Decided to fiddle with the passenger hinge.

No room to see, no room for my arm, not comfortable at all

Mocked up a place to put a bracket for the fuse block,

Fuse panel in a general location allowing me access to fuses, the clutch pedal has clearance, the 22pin plug would have room to be used as well.

Did you know these wrenches are hard to find!
Your kits go to 19 and skip 18. A large kit starts at 21...
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I really had no ambition to go in my freezing garage today, not even for laundry! I did put a heater on in there but it just didn’t feel good out there.

Watched a lot of YouTube, caught up with the pup cuddle puddle and reading forums.
After dinner I got the wire harness out and started mapping the wires how they are placed in there. The drawing it provided isn’t that great.

Not so good at following directions! Lol. I clipped all the zip ties and put a tiny bit of electric tape on each wire to help map where it goes. Red, green, yellow or black.

Started with the fuse panel.
One part of this drawing is as you look at the fuses and the other is flipped 180* to the rear.

Traced the wires from the fuse panel out to their location, labeled and color coded.

Went thru the harness as it is and regrouped the wire rounds a bit, and it just feels like the wire harness grew!

I have found a few wires I don’t need... electric fan (that’s why I was asking about it in other post- it got me thinking and researching)

I don’t need the radio wire but will keep it in there since I may put one in eventually.
There are a few wires for this and that’s may be removed.

I need to sit here with the factory wire diagram And and pen/paper and make notes how I need to route the wires.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Your hard work will pay off. You can rest in the assurance that your wiring is in great shape and if you happen to have any electrical problems in the future, you will have an excellent wiring diagram for your truck. Any problems would be easy to rectify.

Also, If I may pass on some 'wisdom' that I learned the hard way...make sure that your grounds are all good. A large percentage, if not all, electrical problems are usually because of a bad ground. Don't ask me how I know that....lol.
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Off topic kind of day- been keeping busy at work and house repairs. Yesterday I got out of work at 1pm. Home by 230 after finishing grocery shopping. Was sitting in the back living room where the porch is and was watching TV. I have two small windows that look to the side yard within the fenced area. I see a flash of blue run by my window and I run out front. I thought maybe a kid running to get their ball or something. My side fence was wide open and there are bare foot prints in the snow.

I called the cops and they went on a drive around the neighborhood. I didn’t hear back from them though.

I’m glad I saw the guy cause I would have opened the back slide door and let pups out to go potty and they would have run they the fence and off into the Wild world.

Today-I’m home fixing more stuff in this shit house. Main hallway bathroom never worked since living here. I fixed all that and also fixed the main hallway light by replacing the switch.

Debating on going back to Lowe’s- will buy a padlock hasp for that gate. Maybe a motion detector porch light too.

If I get any work on my truck today- it would be hood alignment.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Yep...lock that gate! And your house and garage and vehicle! Dude will run through the wrong back yard and get shot.....end of story....everyone is 'packing' these days...
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Bought myself some rivet nuts and a hand installation tool (it’s really abolt with a spacer). Cost10$ for some rivet nuts and like 20$ for the tool item.

I’m officially on leave. I’m off work till the 5th.

Plans to work on the hood hinge alignment, mounting the fuse panel and running the wires.

In work news I got my profile letter from HQ with my “points” which determines my candidacy for primary or alternate at the Chief Warrant Officer board held in April. So far a CWO4 I work with said my score is highest he’s seen. A coworker in the next office visibly was not pleased with his 321compared to my 349. All this does is get my packet to the table. In between now and April 2nd, I have to Have a solid write up and convince the board I’m the one they must promote!

I went thru this last year and didn’t get close to promotion. Here’s hoping for this time!
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Persistence, and prayers will be the best thing for good results in your situation. Just following you in the build of your truck proves that you definitely don't give up. Praying that they take notice this time, that you're the one.

Miss April, this just may be your year..... 8)
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Spent stupid amou t of time on the hood trying to align it. Dumb... still can’t get it to line up right, but will work on it later when I can open the garage door for more room.

Got a bit squirrelly with the firewall plug.. didn’t take much to take the size up on the plug hole so I could for the 22pin weatherpak plug in.

Since I’m. Of using the two other8 pin holes, I got a piece of kydex and used it to back the holes.

The plug fits pretty good and I didn’t have to modify the parking brake bracket like I thought I would

Grabbed the wire loom and started running the wires out to location.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Have the front light wires split left and right.

Used a .50c plastic plumbing piece to help feed the wire into the loom. Painless had the same thing for $10.00.

Was working on the wires and caught this out corner of eye..I jumped! Looked like a snake! Like Indiana Jones- I hate snakes.

Created such a giant mess in my tiny garage.

Weatherpak system is awesome!

Good think it’s not a bomb cause I cut everything

Installed my radiator puke tank. It came with a safety cone orange hose.
I used some left over loom and covered the hose, using hose clamps on the ends, then wrapped the edges in my wireloom tape.

The plug!

Wires routed clean

Remember this is what it was 4 5 years ago when I bought it.

Tomorrow I gotta get my eyeballs looked at. Glasses not strong enough an it’s been a few years on same prescription.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Contractor no-showed on me again! I found a project I could do in the outside after it stopped hailing/snowing. While it was snowing, I drove my heater core down to Hampton VA (12 miles) and left it at a radiator shop to look at and test.

At home, I took the rest of the heater box apart. Cleaned it and sanded smooth. Put some black engine gloss rattle can on it.

Has some runs, but whatever... it dropped to 30* after spending half the day at 55* and higher. So I sprayed outside and took the piece inside to dry.

My squirrel cage is rusty! I don’t have a sandblasted anymore. May try a tub of that rustmort, or I may coat it in the naval jelly.... either way, it’s gross.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Soak that squirrel cage in vinegar for a couple days,it will amaze you......Do a before and after pic for everyone
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

The phot doesn5 look as bad as it was in person. Kinda like false advertising.

I looked in the house for white vinegar but only had a tiny bit left so I didn’t use it. I use that when washing the sweaty clothes. But I did have a bottle of Fast Etch from Eastwood I bought a long time ago. Used that instead and it didn’t an okay job.

Opened up the 12v motor, and it was really clean inside. There were a ton of material on the brushes still.

Reassembled and put back on the squirrel cage. The motor worked well when I hooked to 12v battery.

Reassembled the casings with #6 screws+nuts in place of the rivets, and the bigger screws that were self tapping, I used #12 self tapping screws.

Inside the box where the heater core goes.

This is the flat panel cover over the air box. Came out pretty smooth!
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Not much else done today on the truck. Just farted around the garage a bit deciding on what to do.
Here is a finished picture of the heater box.

Had to tap the battery box floating nuts in the firewall. The weird thing I saw I had a ratchet attachment for my taps, and I can not find it anywhere. Haven’t seen in months.

Battery tray in place as well as the start solenoid.

Took purple power to the throttle (gas pedal) bracket and got the 55 years of gunk on it, I had a nasty reaction to the purple power for the first time, it got in my gloves and burned my hand. But it did a nice job cleaning the gunk off.

I got curious and opened up the wiper motor. It’s date stamp is like 31dec1962. The brushes looked good as did the armature. But inside the gear housing it looked like Nutella and was sticky. I’m suspect of the gear mech.

So I opened the motor on the heater as well. Dated 07Dec1962. It was in better shape than the wiper motor.

I needed a new cable for one of my dash panel light sockets and couldn’t find that style crimp where it would fit in the socket. But I did find a dormant dual socket that I took apart and fits,
It was like $3.00.

That’s it for tonight! I’ve got a pup cuddle puddle going on.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

STILL working here and there on various parts.

Got my heater core back from radiator shop and it tested fine, cleaned out for $50.00

Am I missing an air deflector?

Book shows no, but the factory drilled screw holes make me think different.

Put the grill together finally.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks for the tip on Jon's build thread about the PC rot terminator. I duct taped my duct work together several years ago and I need to go back and replace the ducts and repair the cardboard pieces. Your build is coming along great. Phenomenal work that you are doing. I don't know if you are planning to take it to any car shows or cruise-in's...but you should. Of course, just driving around in it will give you a great sense of accomplishment...and a lot of 'thumbs-up' too. It looks like you're coming down the home stretch and will be driving it by this Spring.
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

shipwrecked wrote:Am I missing an air deflector?
shipwrecked wrote:Book shows no, but the factory drilled screw holes make me think different.
April,

If you are talking about the holes on the intake side of the heater box (passenger side), both of our '62 heater boxes has the same holes with nothing there, in '64 Ford redesigned the heater box and moved the blower motor to the interior side of the box so the box didn't have to be pulled off the firewall to replace the blower motor. It's also at this time that Ford gave the heater "fresh air" by connecting the intake side (passenger side) to the A pillar cavity on the passenger via a flexible square tube like the defroster duck hoses but much larger size letting the heater pull cooler outside air which improved heater efficiency. Our '65 has the added duct and a plastic hose connection on the passenger A pillar, when we tore the truck down it along with the A pillar cavity was full of leaves all the way to the heater core...lol

I may be wrong but I don't think the holes were used prior to '64, of course we have never had a early "Custom Cab" to take apart so it could have been a option on those trucks?

Jon