65 Stepside "Dust N Rust"

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RustNdust65
United States of America

Re: 65 Stepside "Dust N Rust"

Post by RustNdust65 »

Thank you April.

Ive just started putting the front end back together and needless to say it hasnt been fun.

Im very grateful another member on this forum gave me his old core support. When i took the front end off i literally had to cut every single bolt out because they were so rusted it just snapped all the factory nut inserts. So i went through and welded bolts to the fenders where the nuts were and that seems to be working pretty well so far. The problem im running into is the truck once upon a time was in an accident. The frame seems straight and so do the body panels individually but once i started putting them back on i found they are a little warped and some of the wholes dont really line up so a bit of persuasion seems to put them some what in the correct place. If i was going to try to do a painted, beautiful restoration i definitely wouldn't use this truck to start with hahaha.

Some days im really proud of it and love it. Others, well not so much, but its been a good learning experience.
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

All that you have done looks nice. We couldn't work together, you keep the floor too clean...LOL.
With Twin I Beam, it's definitely 65 or 66. If it IS a 65 the round holes in the frame for the radiator support bushings indicate that it's a LATE 65.

At 1st glance of the truck before you did anything, I thought whatever you do to it, you are already WAY ahead of a lot of guys, just having a truck that solid in the beginning. I spend a lot of time around trucks and people who have them and I've seen some that would never rev my motor enough to tackle a rebuild.
I'm enjoying your build of chipping away the rough, and watching that diamond slowly emerge from underneath.

I put a CHERRY cab on my 1964 eighteen years ago, (with absolutely NO RUST), but now it's showing a few small places that need attention. Just don't know if I have enough energy or years left to do another one, but you've surely made my wheels turn on this one......we'll see.
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

Hey Everyone,

Ok Not much has been happening just a little bit of an update.

So unlike most people that do the CV ifs swap, i actually like the 17inch steel wheels, although i think they could use some paint I dont think they are half bad, at the same time im not saying i dont like mustang wheels. The problem with the CV 17inch steelies is that they are actually hard to find at a decent price...under $400...which i think is a bit much. But i did find them, all 4 with tires for $120. Surprisingly two out of the 4 tires are brand new. Which brings me to my neighbor that lives across the street.

Luckily for me my neighbor is the parts manager at a certain high-end German car dealer. When they get Mercedes and Bimmers in on a trade in they have to take off the aftermarket wheels and tires and put on factory stuff to resell it as "Certified". Sooo long story short i got the hook-up on a few Continental tires for free. The dealer has to throw them out after all so why not recycle them to me! these tires are pretty wide and right at the limit of what i can fit but hey for free ill give it a try.

Other then that ive been putting body pieces back on to make sure everything fits in the right spot and looks somewhat close, im not measuring gaps or anything crazy like that just happy if the doors open and close. Once everything is in its place its all coming off and rust repair on the cab begins. Just had to wait on wheels to be able to roll it into the driveway to pressure wash 50+years of crap off and out of the cab.

FlintMich
United States of America

Post by FlintMich »

Lookin good. I'm anxious to see what those tires look like on the truck.
Any progress lately? I know how life gets in the way sometimes. Just hope you're still pluggin away at it.
Power washing the crud away can make a huge difference in how it looks - and how motivated one can be. I know when I finally filled a pump sprayer with purple power and soaked down the entire engine bay and took it to the carwash it made a huge difference. It really got me fired up to work on it too after seeing it without the crud. Made me think "hey, there might be some hope for this old girl after all" lol.

Keep the updates coming and take lots of pictures.

:thumright:
TJ

If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right! ~ Shayf
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

Hey TJ,

Yes I have been so busy lately that I barely have time to even stop and look at my poor truck, But yes i was able to push it out in the driveway and give it a spray and it did make a huge difference, The amount of dirt and rust and "not needed" screws and nuts and bolts that came out of every crack and orifice from this truck was astounding! I decided to paint my red wheels white and i have to say it looks alot better, I wish i could tsay that ive actually got around to working on something with it but thats not the case. Ive actually really been researching and reading just about everything blow thru carb for a turbo application. Ive been slowly gathering all the parts i need to start building the drivetrain. Of course one day ill get around to actually fixing the floor pans haha.

Matt