'62 F100 SWB Step Side - yes another Crown Vic swap

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Blanger
United States of America

Re: '62 F100 SWB Step Side - yes another Crown Vic swap

Post by Blanger »

Tear Down (part 3)

With the '65 pretty well finished for now (they are never really finished) I measured the door openings and cut 1x1 square tube to brace the openings, I then welded them in place and cut a length to span across the cab floor tying both sides together, since I'm leaving part of the old cab steps in place this should be sufficient to keep everything in alignment.

With that completed I cut the floor and firewall out with the plasma cutter.

Here's a few random pictures.

-------

Tomorrow I start filling holes in the body...lol

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Hole repair (part 1)

This is going to be ongoing throughout the build, there are so many holes to fill that I really didn't know where to start so I just picked a spot and made a filler panel, bringing it up from inside the cowl, I was able to spot it in a few locations then weld it in place.

After welding the area I ground the welds down and welded the low spots again, then ground that off and applied a coat of fiber glass filler, let that dry, sanded it off and applied another coat of filler, sanded that off and shot some primer on area.

This one spot in the cowl had two large holes about a 1" in diameter, then while grinding old bondo away reviled 3 more screw holes, so 5 holes in total in one corner of the cowl below the A pillar. lol

I've come to the conclusion that anywhere I see bondo it has to be grinded away to see what is underneath, if I fail to do that we will have holes popping out long after we are finished with the body work.

If you look at the pictures from yesterday that show the back side of the dash you can see lots of holes that were drilled into the dash over the years, all of these will get welded closed and probably a skim coat of filler used to re-couture the dash, the thing is these holes are everywhere in the dash, front, top, all around the instrument cluster, most won't be a big deal just lots of extra work...lol

---------

At least with the floor cut out most of the major rot is gone, the rest of the lower A pillars, cowl, rear cab mount area, B pillars, are good enough to use, I will have to piece in the cab corners and plan on replacing the steps, risers with new metal after the cab is on the CV chassis.

The floor and firewall was pretty easy to remove with the plasma cutter but it took almost a hour of cutting to get it done, I wanted to be careful around the bottom of the cowl and the lower A pillars so I didn't cut into the cowl (much) making it leak or remove too much material from the hood hinge and lower pillar areas because we have to make all the old sheet metal fit back in its original locations, at this point anything else that gets cut away will have to come off the CV firewall and floor to make it fit the slicks cab. I will go back and weld some of the cowl area where the plasma cutter cut into the cowl cavity in both A pillars, it might not be necessary but just for the sake of not having water leaking into the CV firewall or the potential of leaks it just makes sense to weld those cuts back up.

At this point the cab is pretty light weight-wise, still a few hundred pounds but 3 people could lift it easily, I had no problem picking up corners and sliding jack stands under it to support the cab while I cut the floor away.

The picture above is a part that is reproduced, you can buy the complete unit for around $1300-$1400 plus truck freight and it does include the cab steps and rockers, we thought about doing that for about 30 seconds before deciding to use the CV floor and firewall...lol

Unless the new floor pan is crated and braced really well I can't see it being remotely straight when it arrived at your door, in our case we would have looked for another cab before spending that kind of money on a new floor although if it was a restoration that new floor or different cab would be your only options in my opinion ours was just too far gone to consider repairing it even with all the separate sheet metal parts you could buy like steps, risers, floor pans, etc.

-------

My wife is going to be needing the shop for the next few weeks so it'll be the end of April or first of May before we have the time to bring the CV in and start cutting it up which will be the next major move on the project, until then I'll be filling holes in the cab...lol

There is plenty to do rehabbing and prepping the cab before it is installed on the CV chassis and the more we do now the less we will have to do once it is installed, with the floor and firewall cut out a lot of things are accessible like the back of the dash that wouldn't be as easy to get to once it is installed so it just makes sense to do as much as we can right now then concentrate on mating the two together once the body is off the CV. I would find it hard to believe that anything we do right now would have to be undone to fit the CV firewall since we have cut the slicks cab to the maximum that can be cut away, and anything more will have to be removed from the CV to make it fit.

At this point while we are rehabbing the cab we are trying to formulate a plan on removing the CV body, how much material to leave, where to cut, and basically how we will accomplish the task of removing the body, I do know that it will have to be pretty well stripped of most everything on the firewall, the complete interior will have to go, and the fuel tank along with all the interior wiring will have to be removed. In that regard it will be no different than what we have done before on the other two swaps, it's just that most everything will have to go back into the build unlike the previous two where we picked and choose what would be reused or repurposed.

It's going to be interesting and we both are looking forward to getting to the point where we can set the cab on the CV chassis and start figuring out how it will be joined together, my gut tells me this could be the best build of the three but we have a lot of ground to cover that is totally new and different than the previous builds, it is going to be a challenge because it is a different type of build. In the progression of chassis swaps it's the next logical step to reuse the floor and firewall from the donor and it should be a nice blend or mix of old and new in a lot of different ways.

To give you a idea of our thought process I am and have been thinking about what we will do or use as a filler panel for the slick dash to cover the CV heater box, that might seem like it's a long way off and it is but it's been on my mind for months while we have been building the '65, its going to be a challenge since we have no sheet metal tools nor the skill to use them if we had the equipment. Worse case I'll figure out something that I can have a local sheet metal shop make but I do have a few other ideas that I'll share when the time is right...lol

Jon
snoracer
United States of America

Post by snoracer »

Jon - As you know I'll be following this build very closely, since it's very much like the build that I'm planning. Only difference is that I'll be using a Roadmaster donor car.
Blanger wrote:I am and have been thinking about what we will do or use as a filler panel for the slick dash to cover the CV heater box
I think that I mentioned to you earlier in your 65 build, that I had an idea of possibly using parts of a donor cab dash to extend my uni dash lower in order to hide the HVAC etc. I have a donor cab that I picked up in Oklahoma, so this works for me.
Here's another idea: VW busses from the 60's had a storage tray along the bottom of the dash. It was enclosed on the backside, kind of like a giant glove box without the door. They ran the full width of the dash.

I'll be watching!!
Tim,
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Tim,
snoracer wrote:As you know I'll be following this build very closely, since it's very much like the build that I'm planning. Only difference is that I'll be using a Roadmaster donor car.
If you are not following this guy on YouTube, you should, if for no other reason than he is a couple months ahead of me, but the videos give a good glimpse into what he has done or is doing, I just hope he mocked up his front end sheet metal before he mounted his cab and welded everything together.

snoracer wrote: I think that I mentioned to you earlier in your 65 build, that I had an idea of possibly using parts of a donor cab dash to extend my uni dash lower in order to hide the HVAC etc.
Yup, we did have that discussion, something you need to keep in mind is that whatever you or I use as a "filler" for the dash to cover the HVAC it is going to have to be removable, to be able to service the HVAC in case the heater core fails or a blend door actuator fails we will need access to the heater box and the ability to remove it off the firewall, in a perfect world nothing will fail but in my world it will and I'll have to take it back apart as soon as it's on the road regardless of what I do to insure that won't happen....lol

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Hole repair (part 2)

I spent all weekend going around the exterior of the cab filling holes, first was the passenger side B pillar, both of the B pillars has a hole about half way up the pillar where I guess two massive antennas were at some time in the trucks life. When the antennas were remove a piece of metal was welded from the inside and the hole filled with bondo.

Of course over the years the bondo fell out, grinding off the bondo from the passenger side reviled some damage that looked like the antenna got hung on something and creased the sheet metal which of course they just filled with bondo....lol

I had to use a puller (weld-able stud) to pull most of the crease out then welded a plug into the hole, ground all of that down and filled with fiberglass body filler, sanded that flat then applied a coat of regular bondo, sanded that down and gave it a coat of etch primer, along the way as I'm fixing these holes I'm stripping the paint off the area around the repair and etch priming it at the same time.

With the passenger side B pillar finished I moved over to the driver's side to do the same thing, I also filled in the old gas filler hole at the same time using the same process of first coat fiber glass filler and a top coat of normal filler, the fiber glass stuff has more strength and doesn't shrink (as much) but is prone to pin holes and fiber strands so a top coat of normal bondo seals that up and is thin enough to do the job with a minimal amount of shrinkage.

The B pillars are good enough for now to move on to the cab roof which I'll cover tomorrow.

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Looks great, Jon. How is the roof at the drip rails? Do you have any rust in that area?
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:Looks great, Jon. How is the roof at the drip rails? Do you have any rust in that area?
You know Steve for all the issues this cab has and all the rot in the floors it is surprising but no rot anywhere around the drip rails and in fact the sealer in the drip rail area is still in good shape, it's really odd how it has aged because even the bottom of the A pillar cavity is in reasonably decent shape compared to the other two trucks, it's almost like the cab has sat outside on the ground (off chassis) for several years for the amount of rot the floors had, it doesn't continue into the A pillar cavities and the cab corners are not as bad as you might think they would be and I guess if it sat on the ground the cab steps held some of the body up off the ground saving it..... it's the only explanation I have for the odd shape of decay in some areas that doesn't carry on to the normal areas that slick cabs rot out.

We a week or so ago thought about replacing the cab and found a '65 cab with doors for $400, but I already had the floor and firewall cut out and the more I work on the '62 cab the more I think it will be just fine for our purpose, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to buy another cab in better shape to just cut up to do the type of swap we want to do this time, and of course a '65 cab doesn't have the interior steps so would sit higher on the donor chassis, we really want this truck to sit like the uni so it would have to have a early slick cab to accomplish that.

It will turn out fine, and it will look good or better than the other two once I get all the paint off of it and the problems repaired, then in primer, at that point we will get the true picture of what we are working with as a foundation for the build, my gut still is telling me this truck will turn out to be the best of the three and beating the '65 will be pretty difficult because that truck turned out very nice both inside and out even with a rattle can paint job.

Time will tell.... lol

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Hole repair (part 2.5)

I forgot mention in my last post about the seam where the cab roof and B pillars join, on the driver's side all the seam sealer had basically hardened and fell out, you could see daylight looking through from the inside of the cab, so I dug all the old seam sealer out, wire wheeled the area and sealed it with the 3M seam sealer that I used on the drip rail for the '65, worked out nice and now it's all sealed up. I'd assume that the back of the cab will be the same way when I get to it...we'll see.

------

With both of the B Pillars taken care of for now ( we will revisit them later before the cab gets its final coat of primer ) it was time to move to the cab roof and fix those areas....

The center of the roof is pitted pretty bad, and I had to grind it off and use a wire wheel to get all the rust out of the pits, again I welded patches to cover the holes bringing metal in from the interior side and welding it from the top sealing up the holes, then the same two step process of fiber glass filler with a top coat of bondo.

Using a wire wheel to clean out the pits in the roof gives a fighting chance that the filler will stay in those pits at least a few years, none of them were really deep but just enough that they had to be filled in my opinion.

The roof above the driver's seat also had 3 holes that were bondo'd close, I really thought these would be duplicated on the passenger side like a light bar was installed at some point but only the driver's side had the holes....weird. Again the same process, metal welded in, two coats of filler sanded between coats, then etch primed, and cleaning off the surrounding area of old paint. (as far as I could reach)

Believe it or not just doing these areas took all weekend although I didn't hit it real hard Sunday, but with these holes filled I think I have the bulk of the exterior holes filled, I still have the dash to do but for the next few weeks the wife will be using the shop so I have to keep dust and dirt to a minimum so I spent Monday afternoon cleaning and sweeping.

Some of the old bondo I removed was really thick, look at the picture above of the chunk I removed from the back of the cab, the thing is they didn't even grind the old paint off just applied the filler over the paint...lol

-----

So next up will be doing the dash which I think I'll use paint stripper to remove the old paint first, and welding up and filling all the extra holes however that works out some of the holes are small screw holes so hopefully I can just weld them closed, grind, and fill-sand.....

After the dash we'll need to sand the rest of the old paint off the exterior and get all of it in primer, at that point we will be ready for the CV to come in and get disassembled - cut up, and we can start fitting the cab to the CV and mock up the front end to see where the radiator support lands which will dictate where the cab has to be or a close proximity to where it will get mounted to the CV firewall.

There should be lots of room to play with since the CV has rack & pinion steering and we will not have to be concern with the steering box like the other two builds, but that front end mock up to me is important, once you commit yourself to cab placement your wheel openings and radiator support are also locked in, you can't move any of those things after the cab is mounted so it's better to take a look at just where they will be before you start welding everything to the cab.

The other aspect of this is that the frame rails from the firewall forward on the '09 CV are basically straight, this is different from the '98 CV we used for the uni or the '96 RM we used for the '65, in both of those cases the donors had a steering box and the frame in that area curved around to create a place to mount the steering box. The '09 CV isn't that way because it has that all aluminum bolt-in front suspension which uses a rack and pinion, so on one hand this gives you more room to fudge things and make them fit buy cutting off the front of the rails (bumper area), but you still need to be concern with the amount of room between the engine and radiator-fan assembly so you have enough clearance.

All of this is way less important if your keeping the slicks firewall and floor like we did in the other two builds, but with this build the front cab mounts will be dictated by the donor firewall and floor, the only adjustment you have is where you weld the cab to those parts, the rear mount will probably have to be fabricated like the previous two builds because I doubt there will be body mounts on the CV in a good location close to the original slick rear cab mounting area, my plan is to fab another mount just like the other two trucks.

---------

If you watched the video I posted on Tuesday you'll see that the guy in the video (Fred) had to cut out the floor he was trying to save for a bench seat and mate the floors at the area in front of the slicks original seat basically where the floor pans (foot wells) end, it wasn't a good idea that he figured out when he bought bucket seats, but if he had built it as he had originally planned and used a bench seat the seat would have been too high (in my opinion) which might not have been a problem if you have long legs but a short person would have had a real problem being comfortable and reaching the pedals.

I had the same thought before I cut out the floor on the '62 cab, figuring out where you cut is important because it's easier to cut more than it is to put it back, the pictures I posted that Tim (snoracer) sent me from Drew Bros show leaving that seat area from the original slick floor, but they are also building on a Roadmaster chassis which while similar is different from the CV floor. I wanted to use the seats out of the CV so I knew I needed the area where they mounted from the CV floor, this was the deciding factor on where I cut the slicks floor out....but I could have just as easily left the slicks seating area of the floor and mounted the CV seats, I did a little eyeballing of both and came to the conclusion the seats would be way to high mounting to the slicks original floor.

If you watch Fred's video you'll see the depression in the CV floor pan where the seats are mounted, then look at the height of the slicks floor that he cut out and you can easily see a difference of at least 4" but probably more like 6-8" which to me would make your feet never touch the floor with a bench seat like the slick uses, that in and of itself would make it uncomfortable to drive...again just my opinion.

I'm not trying to critique what Fred is doing in his videos, quite the contrary, and I thank him for posting what he is doing in his build because it helps me tremendously to see what direction or avenue he takes on different aspects of the build, just like watching River City's build videos gave me the confidence and courage to do the '62 uni Fred's build is showing me what I'm going to encounter as we progress through this build and I have nothing but thanks for him showing it to the world....it is very much appreciated by me.

------

My only point in saying anything about this is that when you build something like this you should do it so it's comfortable for anyone to drive..... not just the owner, you don't want to build something that "fits" you and only you. While building something so it's only comfortable for the owner or driver is fine in concept at some point in the future someone else will need to drive it or you will want to sell it and it will be or could be a problem.

You see this in "rat rods" a lot where it is built to fit the driver, this in my mind limits who you can sell it to when you're ready to sell.... and it's not that I'm unaccustomed to the concept, every race car I've ever owned had to be modified for the driver to fit comfortably, but that is a special purpose built vehicle that in most cases only has one driver, a street vehicle has to be more flexible and accommodating.

Of course this is all just my opinion...

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Hole repair (part 3)

The dash.....

The extra hole count in the dash after all the paint was removed turned out to be 19, well it was really 20 but I decided to leave one hole that was next to the radio opening...lol

I used paint striper to remove the paint from the dash which took two coats, scraping, then using a wire wheel to remove the remainder. I only had one hole that I had to use a piece of metal to fill from the back side, most of the holes welded closed with no issues.

All of the holes with the exception of around the key switch I was able to weld close and grind down using no filler at all, at the key switch because of the dash couture's I did have to use a small amount of filler and sand that to the dash couture.

While the stripper was doing it's thing I worked on the lower B pillars, cowl, and the pinch weld around the windshield, A pillars, removing the old paint, at the top of the drivers A pillar was a small hole that had been bondo'd up that I welded closed and other than that everything else was just fine.

All of this will have to be sanded and a coat of primer applied but with the dash finished I only have the back of the cab and roof to finish removing the paint and etch prime, that will get the cab just about to the point where it's ready to sit on the CV, I still have the interior of the cab B pillars and door openings on the passenger side to strip the paint off of, and a little welding on the lower A pillar cavities but it's just about ready and turned out a lot better than I thought it would.

Jon
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

You do good work, Jon. Looks great. That cab appears to have been religious...it was holey (lol...I couldn't help myself)
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:You do good work, Jon. Looks great. That cab appears to have been religious...it was holey (lol...I couldn't help myself)
Lol...yeah it was that! This truck had to be a state, city, or airport truck at one time in it's life ( I'm guessing) since it had a revolving light on the top of the cab and those antennas on the B pillars, I guess it could have been some kind of construction truck and have that type of equipment also, if it could talk I'm sure there would be lots of interesting stories it could tell about it's life. :lol:

Jon
Shop Therapy

Post by Shop Therapy »

Thanks for posting this thread... Do you have any updates?

I just started tearing down a 08 Vic so I'm going to be going about the same route you - Rudy - and Scrape to Art are going. Looks like its going to be a lot of trial and error but if I don't need to make the errors I can be on the road faster!
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Shop Therapy wrote:Thanks for posting this thread... Do you have any updates?

I just started tearing down a 08 Vic so I'm going to be going about the same route you - Rudy - and Scrape to Art are going. Looks like its going to be a lot of trial and error but if I don't need to make the errors I can be on the road faster!
First let me say welcome to the forum.....

As for updates, nothing at the moment, I've been sick for the last week with the flu or some nasty virus...lol I'm probably a few weeks from pulling the body off our '09 CV, I still have a couple days worth of work on the cab to get it ready then it's going to be a waiting game until I can tie up the shop for a few days to tear the CV apart.

Since this is my third build but my first using the donor floor and firewall I think it'll go pretty quick once I get the cab in position and the front end mocked up but we'll see how it goes.

Jon
Shop Therapy

Post by Shop Therapy »

Blanger wrote:First let me say welcome to the forum.....

As for updates, nothing at the moment, I've been sick for the last week with the flu or some nasty virus...lol I'm probably a few weeks from pulling the body off our '09 CV, I still have a couple days worth of work on the cab to get it ready then it's going to be a waiting game until I can tie up the shop for a few days to tear the CV apart.

Since this is my third build but my first using the donor floor and firewall I think it'll go pretty quick once I get the cab in position and the front end mocked up but we'll see how it goes.

Jon
Thanks for the welcome! I'll start a thread on my project soon. I just thinned the harness down and put it back in the vic and it fired right up. I thought for sure it was going to be a project to get it running again!
I've been driving the truck around for a while and put about 500 miles on it in the last 3 weeks. I hope I can get it back on the road soon with the new chassis. The original 352 with 3 on the tree is quite a job to drive!
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Shop Therapy wrote: I'll start a thread on my project soon. I just thinned the harness down and put it back in the vic and it fired right up.
Yeah, probably the scariest thing about doing the swap is the wiring harness, and even after thinning it it's still a lot of wire to find a place for behind the slicks dash but can be done.
Shop Therapy wrote:The original 352 with 3 on the tree is quite a job to drive!
Agreed, the lack of power brakes and drum brakes, no power steering, and a column shifter gives the driver lots to do and pay attention to, not the safest vehicle to drive in this day and age with the way other people drive. lol

Looking forward to your thread.....lots of pictures please.

Jon
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

After over a week of feeling like crap (I'm still not 100%) I found the time to finish stripping the rest of the paint off the back of the cab and roof, then shot etch primer on those areas.

So the cab is ready when we can get the CV in the shop for a few days to disassemble it, it's going to be awhile before we get the time, the wife has a couple week backlog of work at the moment that will require her using the shop, I'll be back to this thread when we get ready to do the tear down of the CV.

Jon
Fjcaldwell

Post by Fjcaldwell »

Hi Jon,
Fred here from "Rudy's Resurrection". Hope you're back to 100%. The '62 cab is looking great. I think using the Vic floor and firewall is the right choice, especially when the condition of the floor/pillars/rockers are like ours are (or were) and you are doing it on a budget. I love your Uni, and really appreciate all the detail in your posts. I am getting to wiring switches in Rudy and will be following in your footsteps. Hope you won't mind if I pick your brain when I run into issues (which is most certain). Good luck with your flareside. You and your wife do great work.
Cheers!
Fred
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Fjcaldwell wrote:Fred here from "Rudy's Resurrection". Hope you're back to 100%. The '62 cab is looking great. I think using the Vic floor and firewall is the right choice, especially when the condition of the floor/pillars/rockers are like ours are (or were) and you are doing it on a budget. I love your Uni, and really appreciate all the detail in your posts. I am getting to wiring switches in Rudy and will be following in your footsteps. Hope you won't mind if I pick your brain when I run into issues (which is most certain). Good luck with your flareside. You and your wife do great work.
Cheers!
Hi Fred,

First let me say Welcome to the forum! we are very happy to have you here and want to thank you for all of your hard work in producing the videos you are making, they are a huge help to myself and others who will want to do this type of project.

Sure anyway I can help I'd be happy to offer input or advice.

In both of our previous builds ('62 uni on the '98 CV P71 and '65 styleside on the '96 Buick Roadmaster) we have reused the donor wiring harness, on the '65 since we reused the RM steering column there wasn't a lot of adaptation of the slicks switches, but on the '62 uni I incorporated the donor wiring harness to the slicks switches and it really wasn't a big deal as long as you have a wiring diagram for the donor harness to figure out what is what or what does what.

-------

I also wanted to mention that I really like your solution in your recent video on eliminating the front tire rub, it was a very novel idea that really adds a element of "custom" to your build, as a fellow wood worker with limited abilities/knowledge in doing sheet metal work I'm really impressed at the work you have done, I have a suspicion that like us you are not intimidated easily and are more than willing to continually beat your head against a wall till you find a solution or come away bloody...lol

I'm also curious if you plan to make a "dash extension" to cover the HVAC box? It's one of the things I plan to do of the flareside build and while I'm waiting for shop time to tear down the '09 donor I keep running several different options through my head but have yet come up with a "this is it" idea.

Also I hope you don't mind that I have posted several of your videos here on the forum, my intention was to help others and point people to your channel, videos like the recent door rebuild are sorely needed information in this community that didn't exist before your video and it will help others even if they are just fixing up their old slick not doing a chassis swap. I can also appreciate the amount of effort that you are putting into making the videos I have done video production work before and know that it takes hours of editing to take raw video and get it into a 10-15min video that is cohesive and can get your message across, again I want to thank you for taking the time and putting forth the effort to do so. It is something we considered doing and drawing for our past experiences decided not to put that much effort into the project but concentrate more effort in the builds....again thank you.

Anyway thanks for the kind words on our builds it's much appreciated, and anyway I can help just ask.

Jon
Fjcaldwell

Post by Fjcaldwell »

Jon
Glad to be a member here. It is a great resource. Sounds like y'all are planning to use the cvpi hvac on your flareside build. I do plan on making some attempt at partially concealing it once I figure out the ducting. I have some ideas in mind for that when the time comes. I'll try to cover that in a video if it works. As far as making some type of panel, I am debating on making a console like you guys did. I was originally just planning to use the cvpi one but not sure it will meet my needs. If I make a console I will probably try to incorporate the concealment panels in with it. I dunno. Like you, still mulling it over in my mind.

I am flattered that you find my videos useful enough to post them to this site. If it helps someone in their build, it was worth the time it takes to put them together. That's the whole point from my perspective.

Now get working on that flareside. I can't wait to see it come together!
Cheers
Fred
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Fjcaldwell wrote:Sounds like y'all are planning to use the cvpi hvac on your flareside build
Yeah, after building two without AC I thought this build we should at least attempt to make the donor HVAC work in the truck.
Fjcaldwell wrote:I am flattered that you find my videos useful enough to post them to this site. If it helps someone in their build, it was worth the time it takes to put them together. That's the whole point from my perspective.
Glad you feel that way, not everyone shares that same thought process, the way I look at it if it helps people who might not come across your videos on their own it should be ok, and in my case your videos relate to my build thread in a lot of ways since we are both basically doing the same build in the same way on different time lines...lol
Fjcaldwell wrote:Now get working on that flareside. I can't wait to see it come together!
LOL...wish I could get the needed shop space and time to continue on with the build...but, if you've read much of my posts you might have noticed that my wife has a graphics business and does vehicle wraps and graphics/lettering along with a lot of other related work, she has a huge backlog going on right now with around 8 vehicles waiting for their time slot to get wrapped. Her work takes president over my piddling because it is her income, we actually built our shop for her to work out of and it is air conditioned so in the heat of the summer she has a comfortable place to work, without getting real technical you can't apply vinyl above a certain temp because it stretches too much distorting the design elements or below a certain temp because it becomes too rigid.... anyway when she gets caught up (looks like mid July now) we'll get the CV in the shop and tore apart, sad part is I just need 3 or 4 days to get that done and get the cab sat on the CV, from that point I wouldn't really be in her way but it's just getting those 3 or 4 days in a row...lol

We'll get back to the flare side eventually.... :D

Take care,

Jon