jercasche's 64 f100 swb

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

kstones63
United States of America

Re: jercasche's 64 f100 swb

Post by kstones63 »

jercasche wrote:Can you show me some pics of how you ran the hose and how the false floor looks? How high did you raise the floor? Do you have instructions on making that fancy hinge setup? :rocker: Your truck sure looks nice from the rear.

Here are some pics of the false floor. I built the side frame out of 1x1x.065 square tubing with nutserts installed on the sides to mount the frame.

The angled box is where the fuel filler hose goes into the tank. I knew that I was putting a cover over it, so I let it go that way so it would fill easier.

The middle floor is a piece of plywood with 3 peices of small angle iron mounted to the wod for strength.

Here is a pic of the taillight slide. It was pretty simple to make. The hardest part was getting it mounted in the truck. I had to cut a whole in the side of the pocket to mount it, then make a cover for the hole.

I hope that this helps.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I scored some good parts today. A shiny grille for a 64 and a shiny gauge bezel. I think the grille will polish up nicely and then I can paint the black back where it is supposed to be. I tucked my wires and wrapped them with heat resistant tape to keep the exhaust from melting them. I mounted my bumper and wired up the license plate lights. Pictures to be posted soon.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I have been enjoying driving my truck before the snow starts grrsign.gif . I refuse to drive my truck around in snow and it is going to be a long winter up here. I am going to order my T5 and some parts from Mummert. I am going to pull the motor, repaint, and I might upgrade the engine, and put some patches in the firewall.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I ordered a 4 bbl carb and a pertronix II today. The 4 bbl intake will soon replace the 2 bbl setup.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I have been away for awhile from my truck due to work and family. I did get a T-5 and all of the parts for the tranny swap but the bell. I ordered and installed a temp gauge. The installed bumper looks great. My only complaint with the Dennis Carpenter bumper and brackets is that the bumper feels like it is too far away from the truck. It would take quite a bit of cutting on the brackets to get it to tuck right up against the back of my truck. Pictures to come soon. Still contemplating the fuel filler location. I have to run the fuel line from the tank to the motor as the rubber going to the motor is cracking and falling apart. I feel the snow coming soon so hopefully, I can start making some progress.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I sourced a 3speed bell and it should arrive soon. I am having trouble getting a hold of Mummert for the mods and some parts. Does he work odd hours or is he on vacation or something? I have tried calling a few times last week and this week and all I get is answering machine. I left a couple of message but no response.

I crawled underneath last night and oil is everywhere, on the motor, rear end, and tranny. I think it's time to pull the motor and detail under the hood.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I made some progress today. Painted the new bell, removed the wiper motor, seat, and trans cover and discovered this.

It looks like most of the gunk is on the outside of the bellhousing. The weird thing is that when I park after driving it drops a couple of spots of fluid and nothing else. This motor and trans has only about 5,000 mi since the rebuild. I have a feeling that both the motor and trans are leaking.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

Installed new plug wires today and the Pertronix II points conversion. It fired right up. Next project on the list is installing the new wiper motor and the new gauge bezel.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I did the points conversion with the ignitor II however my Tach quit working. The truck fires right up but there is no movement on the tach. Any suggestions?
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

Here are some updated pics as promised.

The T5 is installed. My little brother helped me get this baby in place and it looks good. I had my bell modified by Mummert and everything bolted up very nicely. I just got the drive shaft ordered and it should be here in the next week or two. The trans tunnel cover has been cut to fit the new shifter and the old hole was sealed up. It's amazing how much motivation the shifter handle gives a guy.

New gauges and gauge bezel.

1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

New bumper

New valve covers

New valve covers installed

These new valve covers make my engine compartment look horrible now. I need to pull my motor and detail it and get my newly painted ram horns installed and switch over to my 4 bbl intake and carb. The MC needs to be pulled and painted properly as well.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

Finally figured out my gauge issue. It happened to be a simple fuse that was blown. The gauges look awesome now and all of them work as expected. As soon as the speedo cable gets here and back up light harness I will install them and get everything done.

Here is another pic of the engine. I fired it up today and everything works as it is supposed to. The pickup drove nicely around the block a couple of times and shifted easily with the T5.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I made some progress this last week on the truck. Thank you Kevin for your hood kit. My hinges were shot and this makes it much easier to work on the motor and get access to the battery. The kit is fairly well put together and was pretty straightforward to install. The alignment adjustments are fairly easy once you get the shocks on as well too. It took me about a day to install but that included figuring out how to attach two of my bolts to the cowl because the bolts snapped off and the welded nut fell behind. I was able to fish a speed nut up through the small access panel right below the bottom hood hinge bolt and hold it in place. Now I need to plug the 2 inner holes on the cowl where the factory hinges bolted to.

Hood Closed

Bracket on cowl

Bracket on underside of hood

Backside open hood

Front side open hood
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

Upgraded to the 4 bbl carb setup and did some painting in the engine compartment.

1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

I pulled the bed off to complete my mustang tank install. It took me all day because I had to crack every nut and the bolts had undercoating on them so I could not loosen the nuts.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

Now would be a good time to upgrade the rear suspension. I am also thinking about installing a Dakota IFS as well since my truck bounces all over the place every time I hit a bump.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Bite at a time the elephant will soon be gone! like how you keep after it.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

The truck takes a back burner to all of the things in life; wife, kids, and work. It is so much easier to attack it one bite at a time because every upgrade shows some progress and keeps the motivation. It is also nice to be out of commission for a short while and then be able to drive it again. It would be too overwhelming to try to do it all at once. It would also be too expensive. All of the upgrades have been done in my garage by myself or with some assistance (mostly from here on the site).
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Any pics of the trans tunnel after you buttoned it back up?
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

Sorry, I don't. I am not very good at welding so my cover looks like my 5 year old fixed it. It won't leak though and that is the important part. I can tell you that the shifter I used will work with the bench seat in my truck without any issues. It is the Hurst Bench Seat Shifter. It is really different to get used to vs. the old 4 speed that almost touched the dash in a couple of gears but it works well.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood