PROJECT: SIX PACK

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

UNIFAN

PROJECT: SIX PACK

Post by UNIFAN »

OK, I don't how smooth this will go but thought I'd give it a shot. I always forget to take photos as I go. What we have is a 66 crew that appears to be all original without the motor and trans. Was manufactured in Ontario and is still wearing its original Rangoon Red. It was worked by Higley Construction Company in Iowa and remained there till the past couple years. The goal is to make a great street cruiser out of it. Still up in the air on direction at the moment. Here is what we're starting with.....

UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

Had an oppurtunity to get it in the shop and strip it down to its bones to know what we have to work with.

Never seen this on one of these trucks!

blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

damn that is a big scary crack!!!!
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

Man, you have made some decent pogress since last week. I guess that crack seals the deal for an aftermarket front end. You gonna set it up to kill ants when the cross member goes over them? Are you going to Bag it?
UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

Reds Rod Shop wrote:Man, you have made some decent pogress since last week. I guess that crack seals the deal for an aftermarket front end. You gonna set it up to kill ants when the cross member goes over them? Are you going to Bag it?

That is the question! I can't decide if I want to do a static drop like this.....

or..... put it on air ride like this one which allows it to ride lower than the first one and better. It is A LOT more work and expense. Really puzzled on what suspension I'm going with on this one. It may be the only crew I ever get to do. :dontknow:

Any opinions out there?
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

I like the crews but I would not be killing the ants with them. A mild lowering is nice. Do a Dakota front on it.
Tom Williams
Adam

UNIFAN

Post by Adam »

Maby go some where in the middle of the 2. or go the other
way and put it on a 4wd frame and put a powerstroke in it.
it will look good eather way you do it :)

adam
fseries

Post by fseries »

How much weight are you going to carry with it? Are you going to haul stuff in the bed and people in the back seat? Which suspension will carry the weight you want to haul?
I like bags but, like you said static is cheaper and easier.
I don't believe I have seen any brand of crew sitting on the ground. It would definitely get some attention.
66 F-100 Shortbed 2wd
78 F-250 Supercab 4x4
87 F-150 Supercab 4x4
And a bunch of other stuff.
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

dosen't matter if you jack it or lower it looks like you have some fine sheet metal to work with. will make a fine ride.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

That's a great start. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I'm still gathering parts to lay rocker in my f250 crew. What engine are you going with? I'm dropping a 7.3 PSD in mine.
So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

I like the air ride, but prefer a truck with a usable bed.... I'd go static, or even bags but with a reasonable drop...
UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

I'm planning on keeping with maybe a big inch small block and aod for drivability and converting to a narrowed 9" rear. Either way (static or bags) the bed floor has to be raised to clear the pumpkin. The bed floor of this truck needs attention anyways having the dreaded crossmember sags. You really get into the bed floor to lay the rocker though as you need about a 16" notch where as static about a 4" will do. Truck during my ownership wil be light duty as I have a truck for a daily driver and this will be used strictly for pleasure. Been trying to figure out how much actual weight difference I'm dealing with from a swb F100. I know it seems obvious with the extra cab but it looks like the frame is thicker and how the weight will be distributed at each end is in question. If I go bags I really want to build a new frame because it is just easier than all the modifications it takes to make the stock one work even though cheaper. And I would like to keep the stock frame from the standpoint that it is vin matching to the truck. Decisions, decisions.......
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

I agree with u on thoughts of a custom frame... a crew is next on my list, and I'm already thinking about starting with a few lengths of 2x4 rectangular & going from there. An inexpensive way to try it is with $20 worth of spf from the depot. Build it out of wood with plywood fish plates. Easy to cut, mistakes are cheap, and you can get your dimensions right before u get too far into steel.

As far as the drop, I went with monoleafs in the rear of my 63, and it looks like my rear will completely compress my bumpstops & smack the c-notches at the same time the bumpkin hits the bed wood. Low enough for me.

I like the slammed look, but if/when I do the crew, i'd plan to raise the whole bed floor like Grant P @ CCT mag did with his bumpside. I like that look so much better than the "bridge" that most seem to prefer... food for thought & more to consider while you're pondering those decisions... ;-)
UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

Well not a lot has changed lately but have built and installed the notch for the rear and got 90% percent of the front suspension done. This is the direction I decided on.......

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:P If your going to paint it with a brush!, make your strokes a lot longer,and use more paint on the brush!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol: just kidding!, Will it roll that low?
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

:laughing: Thats funny! I bought a 65 and a 66 from an older man with quite a few extra parts. Just about all of it was coated in a single thin coat of household paint. He said he did so to prevent the parts from rusting as he had them stored outside on his farm. I guess it worked because most of the parts have little to no rust! :dontknow: Was just using this one for a quick mock up as the original is still bolted together as a complete doghouse. As far as the rolling question..... that image will be the truck with no air in the front bag. Yes it will roll but you would obviously want to be on level ground and using 10 point turns with no air pressure. :lol:
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

THAT is going to be SICK!!!
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
UNIFAN

Post by UNIFAN »

Well, been a while getting there but its finally back on the ground. Not much progress has been made but every little bit counts right. And before it starts.... the wheels were just some I had from another project that were lying around. :D They may stay but will go one of the two colors I put on steelies, black or wimbeldon white.

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

very cool... 8) but I would leave the orange wheels... :shock: but I leave everything Orange... :lol: :lol:
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

That looks killer!

I like the Orange too.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread