Michelle's 65 Ranger Rebuild

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Today I drove my truck out of the shop under its own power for the first time since March. It starts and stops. After I got the fuel pump on yesterday I started it but did not make any adjustments. Today I set the carb and the timing. I also had a few gigs I had to clear. I had some wobble in my fan clutch but I found the problem and fixed that. My throttle was stiff and was slow to return to idle. I took the cable off and worked on it a little and got it working correctly. I probably will not get much more done before the first of next week. I have some things I have to do today and I have a funeral to go to in Houston tomorrow.

I am not going to put the hood back on until I am totally finished under the hood. I am goin to run it a little bit and make sure there are no leaks and make sure everything is functioning correctly, then I will put it on.

The interior is complete except for the shifter boot. I will install it as soon as I lock the shifter down.

I still have the rear bumper tail lights to install, I do have the wiring harness to the rear already in place.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

I have slick envy
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

wow I wish I was at your stage right now... Maybe this weekend or early next weekend... :D I just keep plugging away at mine but you have flown right past me.

Good job... :D
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

Very Nice indeed! AS I said before I am in awe of your talents and your trucks :thumright: :thumright:
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.
lastwagen 66
Germany

Post by lastwagen 66 »

Chelle,
Nothing but the best! Superb work you're doing on that Slick, and we love all the pics :D . It's inspiring to me; I'm just amazed at how quickly you have managed to get it all done :thumright: ... and with such perfection. I see that you kept the argent color on the the gravel guard - true to the original color scheme. I'm curious about the dual exhaust; was that originally dual as well? I'm gonna be changing my 66 over from single to dual exhaust (y-pipe is shot at the joint). Are you going to put on chrome extensions on yours? Super job...keep those pics flowing :D

Carl
“What we’ve got here is … failure to communicate.” The Captain, in Cool Hand Luke

‘66 F100 CC Styleside LWB 352, auto "Phoebe" SOLD 2011 - Gone but not Forgotten!

‘01 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 7.3L , 2WD, SB "Crusher II" is my DD....330K and counting.... 9/08/17
quietwyatt

Post by quietwyatt »

Dat sure is purdy Chell.
Nice work and very well done. Can't wait to see it at SS.
Wyatt
Wyatt

1965 F-250 (Betty Boop)
64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

It looks brand new! The guys here have said it all; great job!
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

lastwagen 66 wrote:Chelle,
Nothing but the best! Superb work you're doing on that Slick, and we love all the pics :D . It's inspiring to me; I'm just amazed at how quickly you have managed to get it all done :thumright: ... and with such perfection. I see that you kept the argent color on the the gravel guard - true to the original color scheme. I'm curious about the dual exhaust; was that originally dual as well? I'm gonna be changing my 66 over from single to dual exhaust (y-pipe is shot at the joint). Are you going to put on chrome extensions on yours? Super job...keep those pics flowing :D

Carl

Carl, I don't think that dual exhaust was an option in 65 and 66, I could be wrong about that as I am not a hundred percent sure. My truck had been dualed out by a PO. So I dicided to do it too. It will help the fuel milage and the power by a fraction so I guess it is worth it. I also did a couple of more up grades that aren't quite stock. I added a fan shroud and a six blade fan with a fan clutch.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Carl, I don't think that dual exhaust was an option in 65 and 66, I could be wrong about that as I am not a hundred percent sure. My truck had been dualed out by a PO. So I dicided to do it too. It will help the fuel milage and the power by a fraction so I guess it is worth it. I also did a couple of more up grades that aren't quite stock. I added a fan shroud and a six blade fan with a fan clutch.[/b][/color][/quote]

Besides all that, it sounds really cool! :lol: :lol:
Jim
MY OL 66
United States of America

Color on cowl - dividing line between color and white

Post by MY OL 66 »

Michelle: I noticed in some of your pictures that on the cowl at the top of the firewall, your dividing line between the red and the white is very close to the outside edge of the cowl.
On my '66 Ranger, the dividing line between the green and the white is lower on the firewall at the pinch weld.
Is this a difference between '65 and '66 slicks, or a factory difference or what?
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Flip back to page 1 - looks like this one was like that from the factory...
65f100_Thug
United States of America

Post by 65f100_Thug »

Wow Michelle!! I get hung up on my project and don't log on for 8 months or so( self preservation like a addict who cant get my fix ,I couldn't stand to see everyone else getting theirs LOL) during that time you completely rebuild that RANGER. AND IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!
HAVE YOU DISASSEMBLED A FORD LATELY?

10136 98349929981298119816
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

It really coming along and looks absolutely gorgeous !!!
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
Michelle
United States of America

Re: Color on cowl - dividing line between color and white

Post by Michelle »

MY OL 66 wrote:Michelle: I noticed in some of your pictures that on the cowl at the top of the firewall, your dividing line between the red and the white is very close to the outside edge of the cowl.
On my '66 Ranger, the dividing line between the green and the white is lower on the firewall at the pinch weld.
Is this a difference between '65 and '66 slicks, or a factory difference or what?

There very well could be a difference between the two years. All I can say with any certainty is my truck was originally painted the way that it is now. I took pictures of the paint seperation in the door jams, hood and any place where the two colors were seperated and painted it back the same way.
Michelle

dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Steve F, my 66 Custom Cab was painted like Michelle's. I think the idea might have been for the cowl seal to cover up the transition between colors. Might be a variation depending on which plant a truck came from? Mine was built at the Virginia plant.

Looks good Michelle. Question, that black cover over the gas tank, did your truck come with that or did you make it yourself. You probably wrote about that somewhere else but not sure.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
BackyardRest

Post by BackyardRest »

Michelle wrote:
MY OL 66 wrote:Michelle: I noticed in some of your pictures that on the cowl at the top of the firewall, your dividing line between the red and the white is very close to the outside edge of the cowl.

There very well could be a difference between the two years. All I can say with any certainty is my truck was originally painted the way that it is now. I took pictures of the paint seperation in the door jams, hood and any place where the two colors were seperated and painted it back the same way.

Looking GREAT Michelle!

I think it was most likely differences between plants. My '66 is very similar to Michelle's and actually higher to 1/2" down from cowl edge. My '65 the white goes all the way down to pinch weld up to corner then even with center of trim.

My 66 Ranger is solid color.

Michelle, I do have a question on Ranger carpet as mine was actually made up of 7 pieces not the 3 that yours appears to be. Was there a difference in carpet between 65-66? Also you mention your piece covering gas tank is black? On mine its carpet color which is Palomino.

Does yours have metal pieces holding gas tank portion of carpet to "B" pillar? Also was your carpet held down with screws anywhere?

I was hoping to have my '65 DCS ready for SS but not so sure it will be.
Would love to see your truck in person... Its a over 2000 mile ride from here.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

BackyardResto wrote:
Michelle wrote:

Looking GREAT Michelle!

I think it was most likely differences between plants. My '66 is very similar to Michelle's and actually higher to 1/2" down from cowl edge. My '65 the white goes all the way down to pinch weld up to corner then even with center of trim.

Michelle, I do have a question on Ranger carpet as mine was actually made up of 7 pieces not the 3 that yours appears to be. Was there a difference in carpet between 65-66? Also you mention your piece covering gas tank is black? On mine its carpet color which is Palomino.

Does yours have metal pieces holding gas tank portion of carpet to "B" pillar? Also was your carpet held down with screws anywhere?

I think there may have been a difference between the two years. It is hard to say for sure as I have not seen that many actual Rangers. I have looked at a 66 model that a lady here in Smithville owns and her carpet is like youres and in seven pieces. Her fuel tank curtain is also red the same as her carpet where mine is black. Yes, my truck has the two metal pieces that hold the carpet to the B pillar. The orginal carpet was held down by black phillips head screws in several places in the floor. All the screws holding the curtain were the same type with the big washer as the headliner screws.
Michelle

BackyardRest

Post by BackyardRest »

Michelle wrote:
BackyardResto wrote:
Michelle wrote:

Looking GREAT Michelle!

I think there may have been a difference between the two years. It is hard to say for sure as I have not seen that many actual Rangers. I have looked at a 66 model that a lady here in Smithville owns and her carpet is like youres and in seven pieces. Her fuel tank curtain is also red the same as her carpet where mine is black. Yes, my truck has the two metal pieces that hold the carpet to the B pillar. The orginal carpet was held down by black phillips head screws in several places in the floor. All the screws holding the curtain were the same type with the big washer as the headliner screws.

Thanks for that Michelle. Helps to understand what fomoco did back then.

A vendor I had called a while back when I was looking for carpet for my 66 said he had a sewn carpet set. I passed because I thought ford would have never done that. On my Ranger when I saw the carpet sewn my first thought was it had been replaced until I took it out and turned it over only to see what looked like ford had a stencil and painted the part number on it. I also see a Date code there but not exactly sure how to read it yet. I think its telling me 5th of January. (January build truck) I am convinced this truck originally came with Palomino interior even tho the door tag says black.

What else I found interesting was how fomoco filled the extra holes not used for Ranger seats just to keep out moisture. Similar was done on the extra mirror holes not used.

The Ranger seat nuts on bottom are kind of neat too! Have the red coating over plating like Mustang, Cougar etc but not the same nut.

My Ranger also has the headliner type screws holding carpet over fuel tank. There were also a couple extra coat hooks there but not sure if they were added as appear slightly different from the typical/other coat hook.

I think there are approx 4 screws per side holding front carpet down.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

There are some interesting differences between the two trucks that I have had the time to look over closely. I do not know if these are differences between the two years, or if the differences were between the factories. I have gotten a lead on another Ranger near Austin. It is not for sale, but I did want to go over and take a close look at it and see if it is a 65 or 66 and see what peculiarities that it has.
Michelle

Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Here are a few more pictures. I have the hood on now. The only thing left is the tailgate and a few badges. I have been driving it and getting out the glitches.

I am going to have to remove the hood and elonggate the hood hinge holes. The hood is adjusted all the way down and it is still not far enough.

Michelle