61 unibody "Turk" project build

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Baugher Garage

Post by Baugher Garage »

Just read your post - what a fun story! I bought my 61 stepside about 4 years ago and have just driven it and tinkered as needed. It's finally wearing down to the point that I need to rebuild the front end completely, replace the floor pans and cab mounts and get it back in shape. My son (almost 13) has claimed the truck as his own, so I have a few years to get it into reliable driving condition. Looking forward to reading more about your projects!

Mike
Mike Baugher
1961 F100 Stepside
1961 Mercury Comet
1962 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Thanks Mike I keep telling myself to update the build thread and get to work on it. life keeps getting in the way...
I have the front suspension in and the motor sitting in a clean and painted frame. I am collecting t-5 transmissions and assorted parts to swap a better trans into a few projects.
My boy is now 22 as of this Sunday and we have a lot of hours invested in quality time. wish I had the time and money to have started when he was much younger, you will be amazed at the skills you both pick up.
Start a build thread of your own on your computer then transfer it over as you refine it.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
unibody madness
United States of America

Here it is almost a year later and thanks to Mike Baugher from the previous post, I decided to actually update this build thread.

Sooooo……. We last heard from our hero having just received a freshly blasted, and epoxy primed, bare chassis and rear diff.

Since I have already proven to you that I do not always follow a logical narrative, I will interject the following important pieces of information:
Prior to having the chassis sandblasted you will recall a pic of the Cordoba cross member, primed and ready for mock up. I spent an inordinate amount of time attempting to do just that.

After removing the front suspension, I managed to bolt up the cross member and started hanging parts.

I soon found that the torsion bars ran straight into the trans cross member. The following pics show my answer to the problem.

I set up the spray gun and let my youngest have at it since he did so well on priming the front end on his truck

I need to find the pictures of the rolling chassis in paint to post but as of now I am unable to find them

Having read the LSR thread on lowering the rear suspension and realizing that i really want a little rake to the truck, I duplicated the shackle extension shown in that great thread.
Thanks to Tim and Red for posting on this site

More to come if I manage to find where I put stuff.
John
Turk build thread at:

noley99

Post by noley99 »

This is a great build thread! I hope your wife is doing well. I look forward to your continued post. This is definitely inspiring!
Family First!
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: 61 unibody "Turk" project build

Once again too much time has passed since I updated this build thread. As most of you know , unless you stay on top of your one and only build, things tend to get side tracked.
Such is the case in my life. Most of my time is still spent earning a living, so the fun stuff gets put on the back burner.
I am working on my son’s truck up in Paradise, and mine down in the S.F. bay area.
On to the pics;
This is my sons truck, AKA “shenanigans”, we spent some time replacing brake lines, installing rebuilt motor previously mentioned, hooking up one of the t-5s I rebuilt, to the modified bell from Mr. Mummert. Thanks John!
John was kind enough to talk me through and set me up with everything I needed to adapt to both the 223 in Matts’ truck and the and 292 in mine.

As it turns out I never stop working on or thinking about things I want done on all the trucks.
As a result both my sons’ truck and mine are moving along quite well.

Finally out for some fresh air

Not sure what I will do with the rear bolt pattern, I may re-drill axles and drums to match the front.This was a great opportunity to clean out the garage after all the little projects.

As you can see I used the S10 tail shaft housing in my T-5 rebuild. You can also see the rear cab mounts I installed ,thanks to Iceman Brian

The hydraulic clutch slave cylinder installed as well as all new brake lines

Fresh repaint of core support, twin exhaust manifold, and nifty new knob, (has a twin in K.C. so part of me will be there at slickstock)

Still debating the one wire alternator route. I do have a 3x2 setup with Holley 94s, but will get her started with two barrel she came with just to help break her in.

Still have to run steering from the Cordoba install, but should have clearance for dual exhaust

Just cant get enough of those slicks nose to nose!
Turk build thread at:

64shortbed

Post by 64shortbed »

Very nice work. Almost makes me want to start another slick project!
-don
'64 F100 262-I6
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

looks great, i'll send mine over.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
unibody madness
United States of America

64shortbed wrote:Very nice work. Almost makes me want to start another slick project!

Thanks Don, they say you forget all the pain you went through which is why you will start another..no wait thats babies
slickmainer wrote:looks great, i'll send mine over.

Thanks Greg but seven future projects would get you in at eighth

This site is the oil that keeps the wheels turning, without everyone here It would be much harder to get things finished.
Thanks to all that post.
John
Turk build thread at:

unibody madness
United States of America

gas 4 blood,
Thanks, so am I!
I will try to post as I go along but there are a lot of little things that never show
John
Turk build thread at:

noley99

Post by noley99 »

Build looks good! Hope your wife is doing okay! All the best!
Family First!
65f100_Thug
United States of America

Post by 65f100_Thug »

Nice build! I will make an effort to give this build equal time with Anthony's. He's another do it ALL myself guy!!!
Your thread is so well done! I wish mine could be that way. I changed my mind too much.At first I was just going to put a 302 in it. I went from just power steering to a Dakota suspension. I've changed transmissions 3 times ending up with the 5 speed and wheels three times. Heck I got more money in parts that are no longer on the truck than I do the ones that are on it...LOL At least I know now....DO YOUR RESEARCH ,MAKE A PLAN AND STICK TO IT!!!!
HAVE YOU DISASSEMBLED A FORD LATELY?

10136 98349929981298119816
unibody madness
United States of America

Thanks, but don't stifle your creativity.I am sure you will use it on the next build. I know this is my fourth truck since the madness set in. The first truck will be sold hopefully to somebody from both here and h.a.m.b.
I have one running up at my future retirement home. The turk you see; and the"army truck" sitting besides the house hidden from the street by the access gate
I have three rebuilt motors and a gaggle of parts thick enough to clog up the garage.
Use them or resell them to futher your build. Either way if you don't go overboard, its a lot more fun doing it the way you have. It saves your sanity to be more flexible when plans don't work out
John
Turk build thread at:

rbeck204
United States of America

Post by rbeck204 »

John,
That SWB looks great. Keep after it.
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
unibody madness
United States of America

I copied the following from truck talk, and hints and tips to my build thread just to keep it all in one place

I was reading a hotrod mag at work, about a guy that spent so much time and effort on his build, that after he got tired of trailering it to shows, he parked it in his living room.

I have been at a stand still on the turk, wanting my ride to be perfect. Rather than doing just that, the decision was made to get it back together and running, so I can enjoy it, then slowly work on cleaning up the body work. So I was rather busy today putting the Turk back on its frame.

Make sense?

Been walking into the garage about every half hour just to stare at it. :D[/quote]

Now that I have the ‘Turk” body back on the frame, I started doing all the fitting of parts and pieces that could only be done once it was all together.

A long time ago, before I even owned the Turk, I was running around willy nilly, searching for all kind of parts for the build of all builds. One of the things I bought was a four spoke steering wheel to put into the long bed, not knowing there was a size difference between the three and four spoke wheels. Along the way, I also found there is a difference between the years and models in terms of the inner workings of the steering hubs, horn and turn signal setups. I ended up cleaning up a three spoke instead.
I never stopped thinking of the four spoke and bartered for a section of column from a wrecking yard in Oregon.
All parts in hand, I began to cut and paste to get the parts to fit. The shaft bearing and tapper lock were the same.

For my purposes, I am dealing with a 1961 Unibody with floor mounted shifter. The steering hub has CODF-3511-AW, cast into the metal below where the turn signal switch screws in.

Large wheel bezel separated from column and trimmed to fit around original column head
Turn signal shaft access hole drilled and filed. Shifter bump hammered to match profile

Horn inner contact ring removed from original wheel and added to four spoke wheel

Mocked up

Trial fit before turn signal hole drilled and filed

All I need now is to find the nylon encased horn wire to the original hub, and the big wheel through-spring to get the horn to work.

Welded in a column holder

Holder from outside

column inplace

Difference I have to make up with additional steering shaft

Joints hooked up

Enough for today
Turk build thread at:

rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Looks great and I would say thats enough for one day and now you can push it in and out of the garage with someone steering instead of kicking the tires :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
61flareside
United States of America

Post by 61flareside »

Truck looks great. Very clean.
1961 f100 shortbed flareside
---Drop beam, flipped rear hangers, extended shackles, 4.6 w/5spd swapped from 02 mustang, always under construction
1996 f150 regular cab shortbed work rig
---6 inch lift, 33's
2010 Escape
---Wifes car
unibody madness
United States of America

Time to update....
I have been doing and re-doing a lot of little things that take a lot of time and do not amount to alot as far as pics are concerned. I bought, and I am in the middle of installing 40/20/40 dodge seats in the turk.
Having placed the seats in the cab I find myself having to rethink my column install. It seems the steering wheel grew quite a bit over the last year or so. I will be going pretty close to the original location through the floorboard to get a little more clearance,and have made a 3/16ths plate to cover the original hole cover in order to support the weight and torque.

I also decided to center the column to the speedo

Quick pic of the new seats

Went with a dual brake cyl and ran all the brake lines. I will post pictures when all is set right
Turk build thread at:

kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Don't you just hate that when the steering wheel grows like that. :lol:

The truck is looking good.
How does that body cart work out with the trailer jacks on it?

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
unibody madness
United States of America

Kevin
So long as the ground was smooth, and it did not move much, they were fine. They do not steer worth a darn, so I used a short rod to help it along. I kept them cranked all the way down when finished, because to be frank they are a little scary when cranked all the way up. However they were great for lifting the body up high enough to clear the chassis in stages.
It stayed on those jacks for a number of years and at the time they were a great solution for getting the body off the chassis.
Turk build thread at:

unibody madness
United States of America

Been hitting it harder than usual.....amazing how motivated you get when license and insurance get paid and current!
I took the Turk off non operation status and have been slowly assembling it. Last week I ran it to tire pros,(formerly Big Os in my neck of the woods) in order to have the Cordoba front end spec'd, re-torqued and aligned.
Spent the weekend buttoning up the turn signals, fixing ods and ends and rehanging the majority of the front clip
Just got back from filling the temporary gas tank for the first time.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
:burp:
Pics will be a few days, I have to hit it hard at work this comming week and I am fried after a week of night shift.
John
Turk build thread at: