My 1965 ford f100

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

therealjoeshmoe

My 1965 ford f100

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

well heres some pictures of from the beginning to now.
stripping all the paint off

Last edited by therealjoeshmoe on August 15, 2014, 8:55 am, edited 7 times in total.
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

can't wait to see it all go down
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
therealjoeshmoe

Re: My 1965 ford f100

GOT THE LEAFS TORE APART. NEXT TIME YOU SEE THEM THEY WILL BE BRIGHT SHINEY AND NEW :)

Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
therealjoeshmoe

I THOUGHT THIS WAS NEAT I FOUND THIS COCA COLA NOTE PAD TUCKED INSIDE THE SEAT CUSHION ON MY 65.. IT HAS SOME HISTORY OF MY TRUCK.. PRETTY COOL!

Image Image Image Image
therealjoeshmoe

worked on my truck quite a bit this weekend.. got the bed off and ground down the whole underside of the bed and got it painted.. its not perfect but its the underside of my bed.. lol i got most of my leaf springs cleaned and painted. got the front fenders off, splash pan off and header off... next week end im gonna clean and paint the back side of the fenders and splash pan.. and if i have time gonna clean the cowl drains and fix a little rust.. pretty eventfull weekend if i do say so...
BEFORE
AFTER
BEFORE
AFTER
front fenders off check:

Image Image Image Image
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Maybe somebody smarter than me will chime in here.

When I did my spring pack for my '57, the guy at a spring shop told me to assemble them and then paint them. He said if I painted each leaf, the paint will inhibit the spring travel against each other and drive up the spring rate. Told him I was putting poly liner between springs and I didn't want the rust to come out after I drove it if it wasn't painted. He strongly advised against painting the mating surfaces even with the liner and said just paint the sides and then the faces of the outside leaves.

He claimed it could actually lock-up a spring pack. Anyone else ever heard this? Always trying to learn.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
therealjoeshmoe

how do you explain the dimples at the end of the springs for each spring to sit inside of each other.. looks like that would keep them from sliding or moving ..????? im gonna leave the paint on..it is primor that kills rust. ive learned one thing over the years most mechanics out there dont know much more than the average person.. never heard of a leaf pack locking up... rusting up maybe?? im no mechanic but that just sounds odd to me...

LM14 wrote:Maybe somebody smarter than me will chime in here.

When I did my spring pack for my '57, the guy at a spring shop told me to assemble them and then paint them. He said if I painted each leaf, the paint will inhibit the spring travel against each other and drive up the spring rate. Told him I was putting poly liner between springs and I didn't want the rust to come out after I drove it if it wasn't painted. He strongly advised against painting the mating surfaces even with the liner and said just paint the sides and then the faces of the outside leaves.

He claimed it could actually lock-up a spring pack. Anyone else ever heard this? Always trying to learn.

SPark

Image Image Image Image
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Well, now I've got myself thinking.....

I did some searches and you find about every answer on the subject of painting leaf springs. The most common is what I was told, but for a different reason.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/techquestio ... ngrust.htm

It looks like if you do paint them, you had probably check the center bolt to be sure it stays tight.

Just room for conversation,
SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

therealjoeshmoe

finnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you win, ill sand all my fresh paint off my springs before i put them back together... geesh....

:bangin:

Image Image Image Image
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I know this gets argued on every board that deals with leaf springs. Do a quick google and it will amaze you (at least it did me). I assembled my '57 springs and then painted what showed and never had any rust show in 2 years with a lot of driving. I'm sure there are a lot of painted springs out there.

Love the stance on your truck, didn't want you to possibly have troubles down the road.

SPark

foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Joey its great to see your Grampas truck getting so much attention. I know its had several different goals over the time you had it. You are doing the best job yet on it this time. Heck when Darrell and I drove down and met you , you were such a young kid with so many truck projects! I am just happy to see such nice work being done.

On my 64 I didn't research it much or anything, I took the springs apart..removed a few leaves, sandblasted and POR'd them, then glued the anti rattle sort of tape down the center of them all. Can't say it was smart.. but since I never drove the truck hard it never was a problem..I had a lot of people ride inthat truck that said it sure was smooth and quiet down the road though...
therealjoeshmoe

thanks for being encouraging lance!!! it will get done right this time and i plan on having it on the road this summer.. if lord willing and creeks don't rise...

foodstick wrote:Joey its great to see your Grampas truck getting so much attention. I know its had several different goals over the time you had it. You are doing the best job yet on it this time. Heck when Darrell and I drove down and met you , you were such a young kid with so many truck projects! I am just happy to see such nice work being done.

On my 64 I didn't research it much or anything, I took the springs apart..removed a few leaves, sandblasted and POR'd them, then glued the anti rattle sort of tape down the center of them all. Can't say it was smart.. but since I never drove the truck hard it never was a problem..I had a lot of people ride inthat truck that said it sure was smooth and quiet down the road though...

Image Image Image Image
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Hey, I'd Go Ahead And Run-Em With The Paint. They Look Good & If Lance Didn't Have Any Issues With His I'm Sure It Would Be Fine. My Leaf Springs Are Painted And I Haven't Had Any Problems But I Have The Reverse Eye Mono's. :) .........
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

When I was a youngster working in a "filling station", part of any grease job included brushing grease on all leaf springs. What did it accomplish? Probably gave the customer a little satisfaction for his money as he quietly and relatively smoothly rode down the road. It's even been known to temporarily relieve that ubiquitous squeak/groan that Tri-five Chebbies were known for in those days!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
therealjoeshmoe

all the foam out of the cowl drain!

BEFORE
AFTER
got truck ready to take the rear end out and clean and paint..

Image Image Image Image
therealjoeshmoe

ok did I fought the ton of sleet we had yesterday and fired up the stove and did a little work to ole red.. got the rear pulled out and the rear frame all cleaned and painted...
BEFORE

AFTER

NEXT TIME YOU SEE THESE THEY WILL BE NICE CLEAN AND SHINY!

Image Image Image Image
ROOSTER
United States of America

Post by ROOSTER »

Awesome project! Great build posts. Can't wait to see it done.

Dave
therealjoeshmoe

THANKS! DAVE!

CANT WAIT TO GET THE REAR ALL FINISHED SO I CAN TAKE THE CAB OFF AND RE-FINISH THE BOTTOM SIDE OF CAB..

Image Image Image Image
therealjoeshmoe

FINALLY GOT MY LEAF SPRING BUSHINGS!!!!!!!!!

Image Image Image Image
HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

Lookin good!
2003 F150 SVT Lightning-"Bonnie"-Mid 12s Daily Driver

1963 F100 SWB Project-"Lacy"-Crown Vic frame swap in the process!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28059