My 66 F-100 Shortbed resto. Taking a while.

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

totten
United States of America

Re: My 66 F-100 Shortbed resto. Taking a while.

Post by totten »

Nice job. HARPER correct on placement of coat hanger. Mine only has one on passenger side. Headliner is a pain,but looks great. Had my wife help me install it. I put in perforated headliner not plain headliner. Nice find on paper sun visors with correct color.Love your truck build. Tony
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
MeZapU

Post by MeZapU »

Now that the weather isn't so stinking hot, I can start working outside again. I have been needing to get this core support fixed and painted as everything on the front end gets attached to it.

I started by sand blasting all the cracks and crevices. The ceramic tip on my blaster wore out so I had to stop that. Need to go to sears to get another. I got enough done that I was satisfied and I could later finish up with a D/A sander.

I made some patch panels and mig welded them in. The holes were from where a previous owner. They were cut by a torch so they could remove the horns by pulling them out through the engine compartment, instead of doing it correctly and removing the grill.

I just cut the irregularly torched holes square to make it easier to patch the holes. Filled in some other holes where they incorrectly mounted the horns. Ground down the welds. Tomorrow I'll do some more filling and sanding. Maybe Sunday I'll get some paint on it if the weather holds out.

Black 1985 GT
Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1
Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed, Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, Fitech EFI
MeZapU

Post by MeZapU »

Painted the core support as well as the inner fenders with semi gloss POR-15. I really could use some new attaching hardware. Mine looks lousy with all the fresh paint. Just glad the core support mounts were in good shape. At least I can start working on the engine compartment when I don't feel like sanding on body panels now.

Black 1985 GT
Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

looks good! I will be glad when i get to that stage :)

1965 SWB 460 C6 AUTO "Red Barron Red"
1965 SWB Going 302 w/C4 Auto (Matthew's)
1969 Dodge Charger "replica General Lee" 440 w/727 (Mine)

If you sent your Truck out to a restoration shop, you did NOT build it, jus sayin!
MeZapU

Post by MeZapU »

I got a chance to get some time on the truck today. After picking up my 2012 GT and selling the SVO. Just haven't had the time for the truck lately.

After sanding and blasting the fenders and front end bits, I sprayed the outside in self etch primer and the under side in POR 15 for corrosion and abration resistance. I had a replacement drivers fender but it was from a 1964 so I needed to weld up a hood bumper hole and drill the holes for the fender emblem. I did two rounds of filling and sanding. I hope only one more round and it will be ready for some high build primer.

Last week I finally received all my transmission line couplings. I had it all planned out to use both the radiator cooler and the aftermarket one the p/o installed, but had it installed with miles of crappy rubber fuel line. I ended up messing up the chincy aftermarket cooler so I just hooked up the rad cooler for now. It was enough to get it going. Filled up the trans to the proper level and I can finally get it moving under its own power in over a year.

A little video of it running. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7moUFnfzAVM

Last edited by MeZapU on March 17, 2013, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black 1985 GT
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

That Is Really Clean. Nice Work!
MeZapU

Post by MeZapU »

Got the fenders painted today and mock-up installed. Fenders will need some paint correction. Some runs in the clear. Can take care of that later. Passengers side is lined up nicely but the drivers side will need much more work since its a replacement fender and all. Cant even oped the drivers door.

Black 1985 GT
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I also have a replacement drivers side fender to put on some day.
What's your overall opinion on yours? I can assume several things but original fenders I've found so far are worse than the one I'm running on the the truck!
Your work look great BTW, I've enjoyed watching the progress.
MeZapU

Post by MeZapU »

Fender was from a pre 64 as it had no holes for the emblem, and I needed to weld closed the hole for the different style hood bumper.
Black 1985 GT
Beast
United States of America

Post by Beast »

Looks great man! Nice work. After seeing this I wish I would've gone the frame off route. It would've made things a lot easier
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

Great work!

Pretty sure the verticles behind the F O R D in the grill was black
1965 F250 352 4spd/Dana 4.10 (sold)
1991 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
2006 Cheby Silverado
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - yeah, it's a HEMI
MeZapU

Post by MeZapU »

BigMike wrote:Pretty sure the verticles behind the F O R D in the grill was black

I contemplated painting the letter backing parts black, but when I did it after first getting the truck, I didn't like the way it looked. To my eye it made the letters more difficult to read and didn't look as classy. I could always change it later pretty easily.

I need to do something with the grill. Don't know if I want to get it chromed, powder coated, or polished. I've seen a lot of posts about the subject but never any pictures. Would like to find some headlight surrounds as mine are pretty beat up.
Black 1985 GT
Beast
United States of America

Post by Beast »

MeZapU wrote:
BigMike wrote:Pretty sure the verticles behind the F O R D in the grill was black

I contemplated painting the letter backing parts black, but when I did it after first getting the truck, I didn't like the way it looked. To my eye it made the letters more difficult to read and didn't look as classy. I could always change it later pretty easily.

I need to do something with the grill. Don't know if I want to get it chromed, powder coated, or polished. I've seen a lot of posts about the subject but never any pictures. Would like to find some headlight surrounds as mine are pretty beat up.
I wouldn't paint those things black, they look clean as they are. If you wanted to polish that grill go get ya a mothers cone buffer sponge thing from the auto parts store. It fits on an electric srcrew driver/ drill. I did mine that way and it probably shines better than new. You can check it out on my build thread. Shoot me a pm and I'll let ya know the secret compound I used with the buffer. Also LMC has the headlight bezels
MeZapU

Post by MeZapU »

Beast wrote:If you wanted to polish that grill go get ya a mothers cone buffer sponge thing from the auto parts store. It fits on an electric srcrew driver/ drill. I did mine that way and it probably shines better than new. You can check it out on my build thread. Shoot me a pm and I'll let ya know the secret compound I used with the buffer. Also LMC has the headlight bezels

I'm just wondering about the longevity of the polished aluminum. I know it will look good for a while but I'd like to build durability and longevity into it at the same time. If there were some sort of sealer that would last say like a year without getting dull, then it may interest me. I think I just need to pony up and call a chrome shop my buddy gave me the number for. Then there will be no compromises at this stage of the game.

Finally got the drivers fender lined up. Took me a solid two hours of finagling with all the adjustment possibilities of these old trucks. I'm getting better at getting a good shine straight away without color sanding and buffing, but I need to find the fine line of shine and runs as I have a few to work out. Good for now though. White hides more than most.

Black 1985 GT
totten
United States of America

Post by totten »

Very clean work and keep up the pics,thanks.
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
MeZapU

Post by MeZapU »

Earlier I called a chrome shop in TN. Quoted me $820 plus shipping! nono.gif $600 for the grill and $110 for each headlight bucket. My truck is not that level of a restoration. Looking for plan B.
Black 1985 GT
MeZapU

Post by MeZapU »

Got it outside today while I was getting the hood sanded and primed. Used up all my high build. I'll be able to get the dents out but I'll need to wait until after the holidays before I can afford more materials to continue. A gallon of that stuff with the hardener isn't chump change.

Black 1985 GT
MeZapU

Post by MeZapU »

Been working on my replacement hood. Rust free New Mexico steel. Still some damage to fix but nothing like the original had. I just shot some paint on the underside really quick. Didn't care if it had any dust in the paint. As long as it was presentable. Really took my time on the top side though. Sure wish I had better facility to do this in but ooh well. I keep telling myself this is just a truck. Painted the top side of the hood yesterday and today I spent about five hours color sanding and buffing. Turned out really well and I'm pleased.

But man, do these trucks ever have a boat load of adjustments to the front end. I'll be a few hours at it tomorrow trying to get the gaps right. Still need to paint the hood latches and the hood emblem. Not sure how thats going to go yet.

Black 1985 GT
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Looks great! What size of tire are you running?
Phil
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Me likes some Wimbeldon White!