62 UNI Take II

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

kstones63
United States of America

Re: 62 UNI Take II

Post by kstones63 »

noley99 wrote:Ordered my tank tonight, think it was a pretty good deal with everything included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230813713288?ss ... 1439.l2648

That looks like a good deal on the tank.

My welder did better with the .025 wire. I am sure that it probably varies from welder to another. The main thing is that it works better for you with your welder.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
noley99

Post by noley99 »

Got the tank yesterday and it looks great. I can't wait to get off this 9 day stretch of work and finish off the floors. Then on to the tank so I can get this thing to the glass shop to put the windows back in and drive it a little.
Family First!
noley99

Post by noley99 »

Finished up the driver side cab mount, floor and even managed to get the fuel filler hole covered. Going to start on the tank installation today.

Family First!
noley99

Post by noley99 »

Decided to hold off on the tank install. Instead I decided to go ahead and shave the drip rails. I'm Glad I did as I found some serious rust when I cut the them off, glad I had the other truck to get the patch panels from.

You can see the rust at the joint and at both ends

Removed the rust DS

New piece installed DS

Pass side

Family First!
noley99

Post by noley99 »

Decided to hold off on the tank install. Instead I decided to go ahead and shave the drip rails. I'm Glad I did as I found some serious rust when I cut the them off, glad I had the other truck to get the patch panels from.

You can see the rust at the joint and at both ends

Removed the rust DS

New piece installed DS

Pass side

Family First!
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Lookin good man . When you get bored come on up north about 8 hours and you can help me with some sheet metal on mine :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
noley99

Post by noley99 »

Thanks Rick. Wish I were closer, I would definitely give you a hand.
Family First!
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

LOL I think alot of us wish we had some fellow slicksters closer :D. I know theres a few Kentucky and Indiana members but still none much closer than 2 hours from me .

I dont mind the metal work its mainly just a matter of the time to do it right now . Winter is comming though and I will slow down with work some and have more slick time :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
noley99

Post by noley99 »

Finished up all of the metal work with the exception of some finish grinding.

Decided to to start the tank install. The mustang tank was a great choice and was not that difficult to install. Too bad I didn't have the right length bolts to finish. Ill get those today, paint the frame and bolt it up then run the lines. It's not as low as I thought it would be, you can barely see it from behind. One thing I will add is some protection for the front of the tank where the line connects to the pick up and sending unit. Actually I will protect the entire front just in case I run over something. I'll get that made up later today.
Family First!
noley99

Post by noley99 »

Okay, here it is installed. With the way I have it mounted I will be able to run the filler tube behind the tag. Going to just go get a flip down tag from the Pull A Part. I will pull it out once more to fit the shield and paint it.
Family First!
randyr

Post by randyr »

Hey Noley, that's an idea I've been wanting to work on for a while but haven't had a chance. Which size tank is this? 16, 20 or 22 gal? I'm anxious to see if you have any problems filling it with gas. I like the idea of an under-bed tank but hate the idea of the filler tube in the bed floor. Just curious if you had mounted tank on the top side of the square tubing would you still have clearance for the filler tube to come out behind the license plate? That would tuck the tank up another inch but maybe it's too close. Anyway, nice work! :clap: Excited to see the rest...
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Just a fyi Doug 64ranger has his tank the same way with the filler behind the tag and reported it was a bitch to fill.

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
angusjames619

Post by angusjames619 »

where is the best place to order floor pans from?
randyr

Post by randyr »

jkimbrel65 wrote:Just a fyi Doug 64ranger has his tank the same way with the filler behind the tag and reported it was a bitch to fill.

Mike

:oops: I'm such an idiot! LOL! Went back & found that thread viewtopic.php?t=12733 I even posted on it several times....the mind is a terrible thing to waste....
However, in my defense, Doug never posted any pics or results after he made additional modifications, right?
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Make sure you don't use a venting cap on the filler if you mount it out the back. Add the vent on top of the tank. Under acceleration you will squirt gas out the back, even on a half full tank. You need to make sure it seals up good.

Glad you are making progress!!
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
noley99

Post by noley99 »

randyr wrote:Hey Noley, that's an idea I've been wanting to work on for a while but haven't had a chance. Which size tank is this? 16, 20 or 22 gal? I'm anxious to see if you have any problems filling it with gas. I like the idea of an under-bed tank but hate the idea of the filler tube in the bed floor. Just curious if you had mounted tank on the top side of the square tubing would you still have clearance for the filler tube to come out behind the license plate? That would tuck the tank up another inch but maybe it's too close. Anyway, nice work! :clap: Excited to see the rest...

Thanks man!

This is a 20 gallon tank and there is no clearance to mount it the other way. I am right up against the frame now with about 1/8" clearance. I did it this way to avoid removing the cross member as I think it's needed to give strength to the rear leaf spring mount or notching the frame. The filler will not be an issue as far as I can see. More to come on that as I am heading back to work and then out of town for the weekend. It will be next week before I get any more done.
Family First!
Rusted64
United States of America

Post by Rusted64 »

Looking good man.

Looks like you have some similar rust issues that I had.

Your new friend will be POR15 and rust prep for the underside, at least it was for me.

Good luck. Look forward to seeing more.

J
1964 F100, 292ci

1963 Buick Wildcat, 401ci

They just don't make them like they used to.
noley99

Post by noley99 »

Ok, finally got time to post pics of the final tank install. I have the flip down tag mocked u and got the filler neck installed thanks to the local muffler shop. It worked out just as I planned. No issues filling it with a gas can.

Family First!
randyr

Post by randyr »

Looks good, Noley!! Just curious if you could snap a pic or two of the whole truck. I'd like to see how visible the tank it when standing back from it.
Also, do you have any plans to lower the truck and if so, do you foresee any clearance problems with the tank?

Thanks!
Randy
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

I had to do the same repair on my uni at the drip rail edge. the metal was so thin on the roof it was hard to weld...for me anyway.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here