my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

Ordered more little bracket things to hold fuel and brake lines on. Amazon said they will be here Tuesday. I’ve been updating my photos on this thread so I’m taking my days off suffering thru Photobucket madness.
Been cleaning up the yard, playing with my pups and waiting for payday. The cost of this move has been high and I think I work in a retirement community. Is where half the people I speak to all say they retiring in a year or two.

Anyway, here are a few images of what life been like without working on my truck as feverishly as I did in NJ.

These two are my world. Two pups and two trucks.

Items left to do still...
Brake line installation, fuel line installation, wire harness installation, brake drum installation, brake master cylinder (configure system for a dual-instead of single), windshield wiper system, finish engine build!
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

A while back I got my stainless steel brake lines in from national parts Depot.
Today I busted the box open and took a look. I love that nPD always packs their boxes with some sort of festive paper (either birthday or Christmas).

The brake lines look awesome

I can’t find my connection blocks I had already in hand.. Dan got it- gotta but more.

Also- messing around with a dual master cylinder I had bought way back before I started shipwrecked rebuild. It was from a mustang, and the mounting holes line up nice.

However the pushrods aren’t the same. Not sure what I’m gonna do about that.

The length I saw about 1/4 to 1/2” different. You can see that in the other photo.

Maybe this?

Went to China freight and spent around 39.99 for a set of these bad boys. I got two sets though.

Now I can move the truck over a little to get to the driver side!

Slowly but surely I am migrating my photos on this thread from photobucket to Postimage. Long process.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

I put the same brake line kit on mine last month. The bends were really close and i'm pretty pleased with it. For some reason they included 2 of the long lines that go from the main junction block to the rear axle flex line. Looking at your pic it looks like you may have 2 of them as well.
'63 F100 Wrongbed
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Yes there are two long rear ones. I don’t know why they did that, but I’ll take it.

The other master cylinder came in, just by weight it feels bigger! The one on the picture above is a mustang MC. The one I got today is a ford truck MC from late 60’s- I’ll do a comparison photo later. Right now I’m getting pup cuddles I can’t refuse.
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

shipwrecked wrote:Went to China freight and spent around 39.99 for a set of these bad boys. I got two sets though.
April,

We have had a set of the same car dollys for a few years, even though they came from HarborJunk they seem to work well as long as the floor is clean, the wheels are really small diameter-wise so takes a little effort to get them rolling and anything bigger than a piece of dust the wheels have trouble going over..lol...but they have worked out well for us.

BTW thank you for your service to our country...it's much appreciated!

Jon
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

So I’m headed One today from work with a blown back.

I torqued it wrong yesterday morning and went into two hours of Charlie horse spasms in my lower back.
What’s messed up is I texted to a coworker for help (didn’t call cause I couldn’t talk or breath normal). Anyway- her response was “can you call someone else” instead of hang on I’ll be over.

I spent two hours in major spasm unable to move an inch. Finally I got up with no help- drove myself to ER!

2 hours later I’m home with meds but limited mobility.

Today I got hooked up with a shot of toradoll and a tens machine.

5 th time in 19 years this has happened. Last time was back when I was sand blasting the cab of my truck two summers ago.

I can take tomorrow off too, but won’t. I will be in to do a class I need to teach then home to rest. The pups know I’m hurt.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Not good....been there, done that, no fun. Watch the BLT's...bending, lifting, twisting...lol...they can mess up your back in a hurry. Hoping that you can heal quickly.
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Been a week with a bad back pain. Still knotted up and difficult to do much.

I went to Cracker Barrel just to pick up these two items. Got them for 1/2 off regular price.

I’ve also spent a significant amount of time yesterday updating my build thread photos.

I have fixed pages 15 through 33. Working on the rest today. I enjoy going back and looking at the old posts and seeing how far I’ve come over the last few years.

I’ve officially owned Shipwrecked for 5 years now...fast approaching the longest I’ve ever owned any vehicle. It’s a committed relationship at this point.

So if you are bored... go back and take a gander at the build thread.
When I can, I will update you all on new progress.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

April, I would not worry about the thickness of the push rod, the important thing is to get the length right once you install the new master. Keep in mind there should not be contact between the rod and master before depressing the pedal.
It would be a cold day in hell before I paid that kind of money for the rod, if your old rod is to long grind it down, if too short cut yours and weld a section in, you have the skill set that's for sure.
Post the size you need and see if someone has an extra that fits.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

On the right, original single pot.

Middle is a 68-72 f100 truck MC

Left one is from a mustang.

All drum/drum.

I did buy that adjustable pushrod.

Anyone else, don’t bother.

Original style

Ford tuck style

Doing. Little redneck pushrod adjustment

Need a pushrod bushing

Come to think of it, I know I dropped the little clip that goes on end of pushrod... it’s not needed but I got complacent and lost it in the grass.

I even crawled under the truck and installed the rear axle brake lines. Seen I need the rear brake hose so I put an order in thru Macs.
I bought the pushrod bushing too. Those should be here in a few days.

Next question... front brake through frame fittings, what are they? Where can I get them?
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

"Next question... front brake through frame fittings, what are they? Where can I get them?"

Everything should come with new front rubber lines, or you can reuse your current lines and hardware if they are good. The fittings attached to the line are what go through the frame are made into the hoses. Your rubber line fitting will have a clip/washer that is the stop for the outside of the frame. The rubber line fitting will have a external threaded section that a nut which goes on the inside of the frame will thread onto. They will also have an internal threaded section that your new hard front brake lines thread into. Does that make sense? I could probably get a pic if it would help.

Also when you install your front lines, if you are installing new rubber lines. Thread the line into the wheel cylinder first, don't forget the copper washer and torque that end down. Stick the other end through the frame and start the nut that goes on the inside of the frame. Next start your new hard line into the rubber line and run it in hand tight. Having the line through the frame only started makes it easier to get the hard line started with less chance of cross-threading. Then finish tightening frame nut and hard line.
'63 F100 Wrongbed
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Talk about frustration

I got my book out to help

Spent 2 hours in the garage doing stuff but mostly searching for this one bag o stuff. My spreader bar for the cable parking brakes was missing.

I last saw it 5 months ago in a specific spot in the big garage. Had not unpacked this one box sitting in my front living room ( there are two in this house)

First injury for the day, I was putting the spreader bar in place trying to hook the passenger cable when I moved my hands, in slow motion I see the bar hold fast then fall straight down onto my eyebrow. Golly that hurt! Little cut above my brow, thankfully I was wearing a watch cap turned up there. I could have come out of that a bloody mess. Won’t be the first time on this truck.
Walk away to buy some brake clean. Get back charged up and finish fighting with the cables.

Okay problems with the drum brake pads.

I spent forever trying to get them to fir right. The keep falling down between the lip of the backing plate and the wear point pads on the backing plates.

I probably going to try again today but if I keep struggling I’m buying new pads from Napa.

I got my the rear ones from NPD.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I tried pulling the parking brake, couldn’t budge it... got to do some trouble shooting on that now,

Biggest fear is I will have a truck that doesn’t run and doesn’t stop correctly forever. :shock:

Back out to the garage I go. Front brakes now. Then I can bleed them and hope get the truck off the jackstamds by dinner.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Its been a couple years since I’ve done rear brake shoes but a couple thoughts...

1) Are your the shoes you’re putting on new ones? If they are, are they the same size as the old ones? I believe there were a couple different widths available, not sure if it makes a difference...

2) Is the star adjuster all the way in when you’re putting it together?

3) Kind of a pita but would pulling the axle to make the parts more accessible help at all?

Hope you get it sorted out. I’ve been enjoying the build, it’s motivating me to get moving on mine! :thumright:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

My approach to adjust the star thingy's to chant this little ditty,"Up is in and down is out" sorta like lefty loosely righty tighty........
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

ThinLizzy13 wrote:Its been a couple years since I’ve done rear brake shoes but a couple thoughts...

1) Are your the shoes you’re putting on new ones? If they are, are they the same size as the old ones? I believe there were a couple different widths available, not sure if it makes a difference...

2) Is the star adjuster all the way in when you’re putting it together?

3) Kind of a pita but would pulling the axle to make the parts more accessible help at all?

Hope you get it sorted out. I’ve been enjoying the build, it’s motivating me to get moving on mine! :thumright:
So, the shoes are the correct size. I measured them in 2015 when I took them off, pictures and tossed. I had bought the replacements from NPD. Same size.

The star adjuster I sent all the way in. I spent about 2hours fighting the different ways to get the spring on and all. I still haven’t solved the Park / e brake issue yet. I suspect since it’s new cables, it was just me not at a good angle. Since the truck is up on jack stands and I have to walk sideways to get bye, I was not able to get in truck to pull it. I tried from outside the door thru the window. When I get last wheel dome today, I will push the truck back over and climb inside to pull it.

No room to pull an axle in this garage. I can’t even push outside to driveway. My trailer is in driveway and the driveway is sloped.

I’m working thru he issues slowly.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

April reach down where you had the patience for body work and see if you have any left for brakes, its been awhile but there may be a difference between front and rear brake shoes. I do know the first time I re did back brakes after about thirty years I had a similar problem but it resolved itself after hitting it with a hammer. I do not recommend it but the shoes could just be hanging up on something you can not see.
Glad to see you back at it
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

She puts the brake hose on there first.....

If you have ever heard my voice, think of Jodi Foster... I get that a million times a month that I sound like her.

Okay, I assembled the front driver side and exactly same issue as front passenger. It’s odd. Measured the brake pads compared to old measurements and they are the same width. They rub. The driver side assembled so much easier than the passenger side.

At this point I’m frustrated and will continue to work on it throughout.

In other project movement...

Here it is again in flat black.

Packaging my plates up to ship them off to Oregon to a guy who refurbishes them to state specs. He only does Oregon old fashion plates. Maybe your state has a dude who does that too. These plates have been registered to this truck since 1967. So why change them now? I am not paying that much for it either. Can’t wait to see them in a few weeks. I’ve put it off since 2014 when I first inquired about the plates either being replace does or even redone. Way cheaper for me to get these fixed up then re-register under newer (30year run of the) ugly tree plates.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

April,
It sounds like "Murphy" visited you too. I worked on my truck all day today...and I'm frustrated with it right now. But you did make me laugh with the reference to "Silence of the Lambs".....

"It puts the lotion in the basket" lol.....

I'm sure that you will get the brakes right...sometimes it takes some work to get stuff to come together right...especially on these old trucks.
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I forgot to post the photo of “before” for my truck license plates so here it is...I will get them back in a few weeks.

I also couldn’t stand how tight the drums were. It bothered me all night and today I took them off. Switched the sides, and sure enough, dragging just as bad.

Stopped at 4 places between my house and work and asked their mechanics if they had a lathe to check the, out and shave a tiny bit if needed... 3 shops looked at me like I was dumb. (Here comes some chick who wants brake drums resurfaced. 2of the guys asked if I meant rotors. Um no dipshit- drums). Anyway, those shops don’t have a lathe anymore- they just are parts changers with “brakes” on the sign.

Anyway, 4th shop is owned by a guy about my age. Shop used to owned by his father or grandfather who passed away.
Anyway, very helpful and said they would check them.
I left the drums with them while I went to the pool and swam a chunk of the remaining required laps needed by 31st (had to swim 34 miles worth of laps *1122* in the pool to make equivalent of the York river here in VA). Tangent on the swim# I swam over 440 laps since Friday.... have 20 remaining to finish tomorrow morning at 0600.

Okay- I’m hypothermic from swimming so much and I braved the freezing garage to put the drums on. Perfect. Slight drag as it turns. Nothing like it was!

Mission accomplished on that part of my project. I’m too cold right now to do anything else.

My toe warmers are finally doing their job.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.