my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by SteveCanup »

This got my curiosity up...I went out and checked the heater box on my '64. It has always operated great, and I have never done anything to it other than paint it with flat black to make it disappear under the dash. Mine has the intake side wide open like April's. There are holes and there are machine screws installed into the holes (appearance sake maybe?)...and I don't remember if I stuck them in the holes or if they were already there. The only thing I had to do to mine was repair the ducts to the defrost which I wrapped in duct tape. I need to remove them and install new ducts. It appears that maybe late '64 or in '65 they had the connection to the A pillar cavity?
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote: It appears that maybe late '64 or in '65 they had the connection to the A pillar cavity?
Your probably right Steve, when I googled for pictures of the '64 heater box it showed both types, I've looked and looked for a list of options or add-on's that would have been offered or standard with a custom cab....so far I've found nothing. It's obvious your '64 doesn't have the air intake, but the standard '65 cab does and your truck is a custom cab....so lol

Jon
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

if your truck had the fresh air heater it would have a bellows to the air vent. my 61 has that bellows.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

My 64 long bed has the bellows. I've had it all apart and restored it a few years back. Still works like a champ. Also NOT a Custom Cab.
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

So this had to be a option on the trucks, or was included based on geographic location it was delivered to? I just went out and looked our '62 uni it doesn't have the bellows and doesn't look to have a knock-out where the fresh air option could have been added, so I wonder if it is related to the actual air vents?, on our '62 the air vents are of course cable operated and the pulls are in the dash on each side, but I have seen pictures of slicks where the pulls are under the dash over the transmission hump, in our '62 there would be no room for the fresh air option without making the air vent physically smaller or incorporating it into the passenger vent opening. Then our '65 has much smaller air vents with doors and latches, it does have the fresh air intake with the bellows for the heater that goes into the A pillar cavity above the fresh air vent...weird.

Jon
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

IM a little behind on putting up some photos.

Last weekend I went on a mission to get a new alternator. The one in my truck wasn’t working correctly. Found out my alt was out of a 1980 camero. Good year.. :mrgreen:
Anyway, bought a replacement from autozone or advanced auto. Can’t remember- they are next door to each other like Lowe’s and Home Depot.

Decided to put my rear view mirror in. It needs re- lensing as it’s got some delamination.

That is the ground strap from the engine bay. Has FOMOCO stamped on it. Suggestions? This was between firewall and engine block.

Tested the starter and it was strong. Rusty but strong. Took a scuff pad on my drill and cleaned it up and hit it with the rattle can.

Doesn’t look like much but it’s $120 worth of parts. I still need like 2k more.

Wednesday I hit 5 years cancer free! So my life expectancy exceeds the average of anyone who also experienced my cancer... I’m feeling good and certainly enjoying my grape drink and favorite cake!

About a year ago I was putting in the carpet and firewall pad but ran into a few issues. I decided today was the day the firewall pad needed to go in. It has to before the heater could anyway.

Broke a bunch of those push in retainers before I took a dremel carve tip to the hole and dug them out a little.
Heater bolted in, yes that’s reflection.

Waiting for my switch to the heater to get here, mine was fried. Burn mark to prove.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Been waiting for the new cable switch for my heater to come in, but when it did, it was the wrong item. They sent me the 1957 switch, not the 1963 able and switch.

But I took the guys out and switched it with mine and it should be fine.

Installed.

Decided to work on the carb while the contractor was here.
Best workbench in the house...

That’s a Holley 1940.

I also took apart the Holley 1904 with glass bowl.

Messed around in the garage a bit and when it started getting cold, decided to take inside. My parts from eBay came in and it allowed me to do some more work on my drive in speakers.

Back to the in house workbench,

Wires soldered in, speakers assembled and finished.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Spent some time inside today listening to music (from my newly finished speakers) and decided to tackle the gauge panel wiring mess.

From this mess around the time I redid the whole panel a few weeks ago.

Inspected the wires and found a few in bad condition.

Best workbench in the house!

Labeled each socket according to how I drew it out.

Clipped each socket wire about an inch down and soldered new wires in, then heat shrunk material applied.

Gave myself some pigtails long enough to reach their new mate. Each wire is labeled with wire markers every few inches.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Looks like you’re making great progress, that’s gunna be one rockin truck. Those drive in speakers are pretty neat.

Good luck with the warrant officer, no one really does know what they do :lol:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
ohmthis
United States of America

Post by ohmthis »

April, congratulations on the anniversary! I don't post much, mainly lurk and feed my interest in these cool trucks. You are doing a great job and it's been really fun to follow along. Keep up the good work! Good luck with the promotion too!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Last weekend I’m ordered a new wiper motor set up from Dennis Carpenter. I don’t like that they do not provide a knob with the new switch. You’d think it would have been included.

I had to change the rear brakes in my ‘13 F1fiddy the other day. Disc brakes sure are easy after dealing with those drums on my shipwrecked. That conversion sure looks way more tempting now then later.

New motor for heater box came in from NOD as well. And a turn signal cam(hopefully that’s all I need for this).

I’m going to look at a couple houses today, as I’m considering dumping this rental I’m in and tak8ng a plunge into owning a home. I am so gun shy as I can not seem to live in the now while here because it could all change in a year. But I’m paying too much for this shit rental.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Yesterday the contractor no-showed again. So I sat around waiting for something to do, and decided since I had the heater out again to change the motor, I’d see about covering the inlet hole with something more inconspicuous.

At Lowe’s, I had to get a split pin for my new gas pedal since I don’t have the one out of the old one. Same isle as the nut/bolts they have these thin metal deco panels. You can cut them with tin snips pretty easy to bend by hand as well.

I cut one out in shape of the opening.

It didn’t appear to disrupt the airflow after I turned it on. The new motor works way better than the original.

Btw- new motor from NPD is a 70’s mustang 12v bi direction type. The black wire is your hot, orange your ground.

Anyway. SInce I have the heater out, I am putting the wiper motor system together.

Came with a template to drill the new mounting holes. Make sure you push out the old bushings. Drill out the cap of it, and push the rubber out through the center. Easy!

Tested outside of truck great after I installed a body ground. The plug pigtail out of the motor has a black for ground. But the pigtail that connects from the motor to the switch does not. And the kit does not provide the connector to assemble one into the plug. Will need to run a separate ground from motor to body,
In my case, I am going to put a line on it long enough my ground from heater and the wiper motor will ground to same point.

In other news, I went and looked at 4 homes in Gloucester yesterday. First one turned out a dump. They were hiding rotten windows and door frames but the plus was a gigantic garage. I told realtor to throw out that listing.
Second home was awesome. Had a attached 1.5 garage, large yard, a private road behind property with a gate to allow vehicles/trailers in. 3bedrlom new roof, new floors, just really nice. Well in my price range too.
Third house was a hike down two lane thin roads. Cute exterior, but inside was obviously decorated in 1990. Blue, white and pink.... old lady type. Garage was smaller than my current one. Giant yard with access - Could have a garage built out there though.
4th house almost identifies in layout to my Cape May house in NJ. There was a big yard, a gigantic two bay metal FB garage (no electricity to it) but they wanted same price as the house I loved. So 2nd and 4th house on the short list. Both could be rented out in event I have to transfer next year. The search for a new schnuzerhaus is on. I can’t stand being stood up as much as I have been by the contractor and paying 1400 a month for a home I can’t stand.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Look into renters rights laws where you are at.
In California you can withhold rent until things are fixed.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Chased the RIvnut threads in here. 5/16-24 I believe it was. My glasses are at work and I’m getting old.

Ousted the motor and bracket in the firewall/dash area and it fit well. Glad I’m doing this with the heater out.

Electrical tested good. Need new wiper arms though. Mine has a broken tab.

Put the heater back in and it works great,

Grabbed my dash panel and put it in. Fits like a glove and looks so good.

Deciding if I wanna use the tach I got or go without.
It looked out of place so I took another photo without it and like the cleaner look.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Your truck is looking great. I like the red horn ring.

Bradshaw
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Looks great! I agree...it looks cleaner without the tach.
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Spent the day working on wiring the rear of the truck. Drilled holes for the grommets of the taillight conduit. My step bit sucks (its 12 years old and really used a lot).

Had dinner with a friend from my NJ duty. She was visiting from Hawaii. She took a photo of me and threatened to post it on Tinder.... I told her- prerequisites are love pups and trucks. :mrgreen: not really doing the tinder thing- too many creeps.

Anyway, that’s all for today folks. Pups holding me down on the couch.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Shoulda done this while it was still in primer.

Got a few parts in.

I’m 17k deep into this truck...
:shock:
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I put an offer in on a house. 3bedroom (it’s a master, normal bedroom and a smaller one) 2bath, 2car garage. Nice backyard, fully fenced, new shed, new roof, new siding, driveway was filled underneath in case any voids, new AC heat, nice appliances, new carpet, new interior paint. Asking price 195. Offer at 189 but there is room to adjust for counter offer. Turns out I work with the owner, and he did a fabulous job on this home. He is retiring in April and going back to mid-west. Comparing prices in neighborhood, average is 192k.
Not getting hopes up, but I and the pups could be very happy there.

No more spending money on parts for the truck till I have something tangible, such as a move in date somewhere. I a man not staying in my current rental.. the home still hasn’t been finished, and the land lord first got desperate, then angry at me for mentioning my flirting with home ownership. Her attitude towards me was enough. I can only imagine how the next year would go if I stayed here. My lease expires in July. I moved in back mid july, and it was like all work stopped... contractor told me she was $7k behind in payment to him, one reason he didn’t finish the work. I made myself available almost every weekend and even an entire week in Jan/feb and nothing was finished. I am now taking off tomorrow for more contractors, and a week off in March for more work to be done. I think I have made enough attempt s to make this acceptable, but it’s just not happening.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I got done doing some major spring cleaning in the house this weekend. Carpets cleaned, bathtubs scrubbed, you know all that stuff that gets put off.
Installed a motion sensor light on the side of house by garage near the side gate, and changed out the driveway light fixture since it was fried.

Anyway, it’s been 75* out all weekend and beautiful. I got in the garage and pushed truck around so I could get to the driver door side,
Fiddled with the steering box, installed the steering shift tube and components.

A long time ago I researched for a new lower column rubber piece that FTe said didn’t get reproduced. So I started looking at compatibility of other items. I found this one at DC and took a chance.

Was digging in the column parts bag a week ago in prep for this project and found that my turn signal is broken. I not knowing this was not original, purchased a 63 f100 cam from NPD. It came in the mail Saturday and I compared the two items. What I had installed in truck before was not original, but a 1971 ford part. The tag on it said D1 something. Further evil bay research I found a Dorman replacement for $20.

Once that comes in, I will finish up the steering components.

I still have to mount my fuse panel... what in the world-I’m taking forever on that. I guess it’s because I’m trying to figure out any interference I may find, and how to secure it to the steering mount.

I took today as a vacation day. I have three contractors showing up to give bids to landlord on stuff that needs fixing.

Hope to hear back from realtor today. He mentioned there was a counter offer (I figured there would be!) but he didn’t call me back yesterday like he said he would. The wait goes on.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.