my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

Struggles McGee here with this headliner.

Having two people would be ideal. At least someone who won’t divorce you for getting verbally frustrated during this evolution.

My light bezel is just covering the hole. The light bucket is too deep. It hits the wall and is still an inch too proud thru the hole. So.... I will try to modify that light bucket by maybe finding a different style socket to install in it and remove the larger socket. I may put the socket in the curved section not on the butt like it has now.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Dug in the picture book and see the light I have is not actually a 63 light bucket. I don’t know what the light is for then because this one in photo is just a clip and lightbulb.

I went to an autozone and found these little led lights. And made them fit in the light bucket after I removed the original socket and soldered the wires together.

Got the body ground installed and the positive wire hooked up.

Got it buttoned up.

Let there be light!

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Hi April, i joined the site a while back and started reading your build thread. I just finished the thread and really is a great build documentery and evidence of your stick-to-it attitude. Truck looks great and keep at it.
Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

shipwrecked wrote:Dug in the picture book and see the light I have is not actually a 63 light bucket. I don’t know what the light is for then because this one in photo is just a clip and lightbulb.

I went to an autozone and found these little led lights. And made them fit in the light bucket after I removed the original socket and soldered the wires together.

Got the body ground installed and the positive wire hooked up.

Got it buttoned up.

Cool solution.

Let there be light!

Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Who ever this messy person is should clean up after themselves.

Got a piece of metal and began making a bracket for the fuse panel.

Got a hole saw out, and I certainly hate messing with them.

Test fit.

I took it back out to paint it semi-flat black.

Took the pups for a 1.5 mile walk. Diesel (the white one) is an old man and was exhausted but happy by the time we got home. They slept for about three straight hours.

Going to the Army base,,,, you see some random stuff.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

That headliner looks awesome! :clap:
I really like your cabin light upgrade too, I can barely tell when my stock one is on...
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I spent a lot of time at the gym yesterday getting my ass kicked, and about 30 minutes out in the garage yesterday. So I may still doing the wiring.

Slowly mating up the wires.

I cut the garage work short. Decided to go in, watch some YouTube while on Benadryl instead of standing in my garage suffering thru the VA allergens.

I need to get the hood line down up somehow so I can shut it. In less than a month I’m moving to my house, and I will need to shut the hood or take it off. The hood is just too low in back and I can’t seem to get it to raise.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Been off all week and done nothing on the truck. Spent more time catching up playing with the pups, going to the gym , doing school work and just being lazy around the house.

I still need to pack up for the upcoming move. Just not spending money on the truck while I wait for closing.

Been seriously considering dropping my retirement letter for next summer. It’s been a thought for a few months but ever present. I currently have 19 years, 3 months of service. I originally planned to only so 4 years and become a civilian working in either police or firefighter field. Well, 9/11 happened and I stayed on. I noticed a lot of my former shipmates from previous units all jumping ship to retirement this year too. I don’t have a clue what sort of work I would do. I am studying at Saint Leo University here at the Army base two nights a week. I’m hitting a local crossfit gym 5 times a week and I plan on getting back into the bagpipe band (Newport news police band). Any work outside the CG won’t be in the police/Fire now due to the cancer and physical issues it created in my neck and back and shoulder.

My dad is supportive of my decision what ever it is. He did 24 years CG as well. One of my best friends is not supportive of that decision. Her husband was forced medical retired from CG at 12 years and her daughter just was forced EAS of 8 years in the Navy(NJP on deployment for accusations of adulatory with a supervisor).

I’ve only known the CG my entire life and he thought of getting out is a bit nerve wracking. I have not made a decision. I do however need to make it around June or July. That way if I do decide to retire next year, the CG I’ll order in a replacement.

I used to live a life of pack a bag and leave for months on end. Now just staying overnight at work for duty is a huge deal for me.

Lots to think about,
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I made my decision to drop anchor here and retire next April.

20 years and a few months of service. I am ready to unpack permanently.
grump

Post by grump »

April, after following your build you have proven you can accomplish about anything you set your mind to. It seems that the people who have the hardest time deciding when to retire are pro athletes and military members. pros because they're so competitive they just can't quit and military because they like the structure and being a part of a family that understands what you go through daily. Your hardest thing is deciding what you want to do with the rest of your life. I assume you have the G I bill to further your education so the sky is the limit if that's the case. You should have your truck done by then so you could take a trip around the country you've been serving. You've got a whole year to figure it out, unfortunately that year will probably go faster than you want.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Since I decided to retire, my letter of retirement request is sitting on my desk with a final date of Jun1,2019. I will submit to my chain of command and have to wait several weeks to hear back from personnel service command.

Here’s the deal. I’ve been a register Oregon driver my entire adult life. All vehicles are registered in OR. I will have to change it to VA next summer.

I was surfing various sites, Craigslist, eBay, copart etc because I’ve been wanting another project and I’m dreaming. Found a set of nice looking VA 1963 plates.
Picked them up for a few dollars.

So, I’m gonna retire. I am now 38 years old as of yesterday and the pups have been extra loving.

Spending time packing the house up. I need more boxes and will be thinning the uniform collection. I do t need 20 sets of work uniforms anymore. I don’t need 5 sets of dress uniforms. It’s time to shred some old stuff and get on with this.

What will happen if the CG comes back and said No to my retirement request? No idea. I’m not even worried about it.

Btw- before I sell my trailer, I want to get another project. I want a 1930’s to 1950’s 4 door sedan or a 4 door wagon. That’s my lookout list.

As for slickstock. I am looking at maybe flying out, staying a day and flying back here. Like a 72 hour liberty. My vacation days are numbered now, and so will my budget be tighter for a few months just to be sure I can survive in case I’m dry on a job upon retirement.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zax63
United States of America

Post by Zax63 »

Have you considered becoming a 911 dispatcher? That would allow you to work in Police/Fire and not have to do as much physical stuff. I done a lot of work for the York County 911 center and it's a really nice facility.
'63 F100 Wrongbed
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Happy (belated) Birthday Miss April cheerleader.gif

Can the CG really refuse your retirement request. That sounds rediculous.....

My wife worked for EPA, and when she had her 30 years in, she didn't have the age requirement. So she worked 8 more years until 55, then they made her work 9 more grueling months before finally saying GOOD BYE.

Praying you get better results....you'll be able to make it. :clap:
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Yes they can deny it.

Well current status on this, I’m tabling it for re-evaluate in a month or two.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Been two weeks since my last post. I closed on Flagship and started moving in.

I decided since I haven’t moved the truck over yet, I’d get the garage cleaned up first!
Degreased the deck, acid etched it, and put the rustoleum epoxy shield down.
It’s been drying since Saturday noon.

I have overnight duty tomorrow so no getting the truck in there just yet. I plan to move shipwrecked to Flagship at some point before the weekend since we expecting a heat wave before the weekend and rain all weekend.

So that’s what’s up.

I’m poor!
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

nice looking place.looks like plenty of space to work in that garage.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Good luck on the new homestead. We ran short of money shortly after moving into the home we purchased.
So we understand the urge to improve lots of things when you first move in.

I'll be waiting to see how the truck project moves along now that it has a more permanent home.
I hope to see it in person at a future Slick Stock.

Our two fur bearing children split a bark box every month. They love the treats, and just like little kids, they scatter all the toys around the house each day. The Liberty ball and the dumpling balls have held their interest the longest of anything we have received so far...
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Sorry for no updates- I had a piece of debris fall in my right eye randomly (yes I had safety glasses on) and it go under my upper eye lid and immediately shredded my cornea. Upper 1/3 was shredded and flaps of “hang nail” type cuts everywhere. That was Tuesday night as I was cleaning my garage. A couple eye flushed at home and then at the ER. Army eye doctor was shocked at damage- but put a contact lenses on it to hold everything down. Then Thursday the same doc was surprised it was healing so quickly. Contact will come out today. It caused worse than 20/200 vision then yesterday it was 20/60, mine typically with no glasses is 20/25. So when I go in today I expect it to be close to normal.

Over the weekend I plan on moving my f100 to Flagship. I just need to be sure I can get help pushing on garage before any more hail storms roll through here like last night.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Worked on building an enclosure around the water heater and air handler. I’m not sure I’m digging it completely. In my head it’s supposed to look like a shipping crate (it’s not painted yet, just primed.

I build the workbench as well and an overhead shelf so I can get some stuff off the floor. The shed can hold a ton, but I need to get some items in the garage. I’m not done, these are just progress pictures.

It may thunderstorm today, I’m not sure if I have a good time window to tow over my f100 without getting stuck in it,
We shall see.

Here are some hot dogs. It was 95* here in Newport News.
We shared a little ice cream.

shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

So last week, I had the truck moved from the rental house to my FLAGSHIP house.
I had a tow truck come get it, move it and it took 30 minutes... There werent enough people to come help me with loading it on my trailer or offloading so that is why i went that route. best 55$ spent.

I am in a fight with the land lord from the rental. They are trying to fight me for money- though i put up with bullshit and we had a written agreement about my departure.
FRUSTRATING.

I spent the day today while I am on duty in the rain storms going on just updating this build thread. Weird that the few photobucket images i still had linked are now working, and the post image links were broken. I fixed all that. Waste of 3 hours...

Anyway- I am trying to keep moving forward on this truck. I am not happy, I am really feeling the affects of the lesser pay at this job. I may not get to retire when i was planning. I may just stay in a little longer = who knows.

Anyway... plan on next fixing the electrical fuse panel to steering pedestal and getting that wiring working!