my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

I took 1500 on a soft block and took that sucker out. I'm on my second coat of clear right now but my phone died.. guess I was on the camera, YouTube and Facebook too much.

It's got orange peal, but I can wet sand that out I guess. I plan on getting one more clear coat on, then call it a night. I'm filthy with overspray.

Tomorrow I plan on wet sanding the inner fenders. Going to paint those gloss black.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

okay- here is the final result of the base coat. clear coat

okay- i have been talking with my buddy Greg and my Dad and we all brainstormed the idea of interior being red, with the opposite of the original paint scheme. Originally it looked like this-

I am considering doing the dashboard top in red, along with the rest of the interior. Door jams grey. Lower part of dash grey. Seat vinyl is already red- with grey inserts *planned*.

If I reverse the interior, it will be different then all others. I want to put carpet in the floor- not sure if i want dark carpet or red. It might be too much if I did red.

Anyway- I am going to work on re-sanding the dash tomorrow and then also wet sanding the inner fenders. Those will be painted black. I could do grey...... gees. its hard to make a decision!
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Looks good. One thing I found with clear coat is that you can put it on heavier than you are used to and the heavier its put on the less orange peel.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Just a suggestion on the carpet color....go with black...it works and ties everything together. My '64 has Rangoon Red on the top of the dash, white on the bottom. I painted the entire cab red except for the bottom part of the dash and was going to install red carpet. My wife suggested black. I went to the local Walmart and bought a $19 5x7 loop pile black rug just to see what it would look like. It's still in my truck and I think it looks great. The black would certainly compliment the red and the gray.

Just my 2 cents worth....
1964 F-100
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

shipwrecked wrote: okay- i have been talking with my buddy Greg and my Dad and we all brainstormed the idea of interior being red, with the opposite of the original paint scheme. Originally it looked like this-Image

I am considering doing the dashboard top in red, along with the rest of the interior. Door jams grey. Lower part of dash grey. Seat vinyl is already red- with grey inserts *planned*.

If I reverse the interior, it will be different then all others. I want to put carpet in the floor- not sure if i want dark carpet or red. It might be too much if I did red.
Actually I think what you originally had is much less common, but I feel your pain as I've struggled with this question myself. Since the outside of the truck is grey I think having the dash top red makes sense. The part I find tricky is the transitions from lower dash to door, door insert to kick panel, lower dash to column to wheel, etc. I'd really like to have a true top-to-bottom split but Slicks don't have the same defined transition as the fat-fender trucks do:

shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

took it outside today.

Also got ahold of 4 studs and built a small push cart for the bed.

played with the new tailgate too.

May break out my sandblaster again and blast this bed. I may do the body work and paint on this before front fenders and hood. those are already stowed inside out of the weather. Only way I am going to get the bed out of the weather is to get it in paint, and mount it to the truck frame.

so may work on this this weekend after I work on the doors.

I need to re-mount the doors again, find out where my fine line will be where I need to line out the grey. And then get spraying. First- finish sanding that dash and the doors.

So much to do- and I did shit today. Tomorrow is a little shot too. Need to change oil on f150, get Hilda a haircut and go to work to turn in some paperwork (I am so far behind).

So- doors, then truck bed. I know it is different then I originally anticipated. But I think it makes sense.

Also- has anyone disassembled one of these beds and then bolted them back together? Its held together by rivets- was thinking of taking the bed apart and working on them flat.

What say you?
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I would say with your time frame it will be quicker to leave it together.. Now if you are strong enough, or have some helpers you might be able to sit it on its sides and front to work on it easier.. lay some padding to keep from hurting it more than helping.. Some rotisserie setup would be best..but it sounds like you don't have the time.

Sometimes its pretty easy to roll objects like this side to side if you have good pads that will protect your edges and panels while they are down.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

foodstick wrote:I would say with your time frame it will be quicker to leave it together.. Now if you are strong enough, or have some helpers you might be able to sit it on its sides and front to work on it easier.. lay some padding to keep from hurting it more than helping.. Some rotisserie setup would be best..but it sounds like you don't have the time.

Sometimes its pretty easy to roll objects like this side to side if you have good pads that will protect your edges and panels while they are down.
I can't afford a rotisserie unless its rotisserie chicken.

I built that cart yesterday and tested standing it up on the front board so I can sandblast the bottom. It easily goes onto the front. I put the turn wheels at the tail end so that when I stand that end I can just lift and the stationary wheels assist me in that. as for putting it on it's side. I built this thing about 26 inches up from the deck and it puts the bedsides at waist/chest height. I think that will be helpful.

I want to sand blast today- but I sure hate doing it. I am sure I am going to be a hurting puppy tomorrow if I have a hard time with the blaster like i have in the past. its hit and miss with that thing. I would love to pay someone else to do this but just can't afford it on this budget.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

One of the true curses of sand blasting, a pressurized can works great if the humidity is right, and you strain the used media well . A siphon type blaster is much easier to keep open/unclogged and going but it works slower....

There have been days my pressurized blaster ALMOST met my sledge hammer....
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I use paint removal disks on either my 4" or 7" grinder to remove most of the paint and use the blaster only for those areas that can easily be reached. This minimizes the aggravation of the sand and blaster. I also just saw this tool at Eastwood that looks real interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVUamy-w-bY

I like the way this tool works in a more linear fashion. It's on my wish list.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Didn't do any real work on the truck yesterday. Had to spend some time loading a big chunk of that tree we cut down into a buddies truck. I also had to change the oil on my F150 (which is a pain in the butt!) and also spent like 6 hours working on a project for work that is overdue. and also took the pup to get groomed. busy day!

anyway- I was a bit worried about the rub issue I still had on the driver door so I spent the day mounting the doors. The passenger door needed adjustment again, but not much. I found I had a rub in the rear part and I used some dry guide coat to locate it.

I needed help getting the door lifted just a tad to retighten the bolts on the door itself (not hinge pillar) so i grabbed a clamp and some shop towels folded into a pad.

This door shuts perfect! like better than ever.

Driver door is a pain! Ive had trouble with that one for a while and couldn't find where the problem was. I found it now!

These are new hinges and I had to finesse the hinge bolt holes some. It is hung right now, but not gapped or totally ready. When I do finally get it set, I will drill new alignment holes. I really want to be sure I can set these doors before I do any painting in the jams. I also wanted to mount the doors so I could find my transition line in the door to the kick panel.
Ignore the red paint. I Am sanding that off to re-paint it grey. I want to transition the door panel to the dash= this may just be the easiest way to do it.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

If the kick panel is gray, and the top of the dash is red.....then the top of the door is red, correct? I don't think you will like the little angle cutting across the kick panel when it's done. These are slicks because everything flows so well in their design. A sharp angle like that would look out of place to my eye.

Look at the pictures above the Big M posted of the upholstered interior for styling ideas. Just my 2 cents worth.

Red kick panel, red lower door. Red dash top, red door top. Gray lower dash and match that across the door upper/middle like the upholstery does. Would keep a much more pleasing line to the eye.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Well, I was thinking where the original color red was on the dash (lower part) it would be grey. Then rest of the cab and doors would be red. The part on the door where the trim and arm rest door panel would go would be grey.

I realigned the driver door finally- it works well. I re-drilled holes for guiding it and marked the pillar to help me guide it up. I most likely will be loading these doors by myself when the time comes.

I re-primed the inside of the doors with high-build and let those dry overnight.

I re-sanded the dash down to 400 where I had painted the red. Im just about ready to tape off and re-spray.

On FB, someone who watches my youtube channel mentioned doing a darker grey on the dash and using a red stripe as an accent since the seat will be red. I like the idea, but not sure what I want to do. I guess I can go back up to the paint store and get a pint of darker grey. Make the dash darker grey, the rear sail panels darker grey, and put a red accent stripe somewhere.... It is a nice idea, but I don't know what I really want now.

Need to figure this out. I am at this point.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Be sure to seal that red! It is THE worst color for bleed thru. Primer won't do it, use a sealer.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I built a door "horse" with some studs I got at lowes.. just a stand to get them off the floor and when I paint, I will be able to paint them in the vertical position. It will take a little modification to allow me to paint the inside of the door, but it will work great for outside of door.

I did some taping off of the cab for prep to paint today. I sealed the red I had sanded down at LM14's advice. I will scuff that with 600 and spray the grey first today. Then do the red once that drys.
Clear will go over when I am done with the red.

I need to put the heat on in the garage to kill the chill. I have a propane heater I got, and will set that on when I get back from the parts store. I need more tape!

While the cab interior dries today, I will be outside sanding the doors. Lots of work still to do!
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Decided to play with the angle of the kick panel. This is what I came up with.

This is first coat of grey. I am going to go tape off and set up for red now.

There is a little orange peal in this but no runs.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I do like the new approach on the kick panel color split line.Just one thing to be aware of That I found out the hard way if you ever get the cover that fits that fender bolt access hole the lines will never line up when you are in the seat compared to viewing it from a distance. I would suggest the line be short of or long of that hole by about 3/8ths of an inch.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I spent a lot of time working on the red paint. It isn't perfect and of course I ran out. Im not happy with it cause it ran everywhere, but I can wet sand that down and buy more paint. Will work on that tomorrow and pick up new paint on monday.

The tail you saw hanging down was just extra tape I didn't cut off. I ended up just doing a swoop and it looks good.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Just pulled the masking since its not going to be until Monday before I can get more paint.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Just a tip...and I am by no means a professional....When I purchased automotive paint in the past the counter guys used to offer to put "fish-eye" preventative in the paint. I don't think it was that much extra. I seemed to always get fish eyes somewhere...
1964 F-100