my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

I am new to the F100 slicks. Haven't completed any restorations before, but did have a '37 Chrysler Royal sedan that took too much for me to do at the time I was trying to work on it. I was 24 at the time, and had no money. Sold it.

In November, I picked up the '63 F100 Custom Cab from a high school friend (been 15 years+) since I ran into the guy. I picked up his truck for 1000. It has a rebuilt 223 straight 6 in it, and three on the tree. The body is pretty straight and only major rust is the bed. Has a rear wheel seal leak and a brake leak now. But overall it was running. I put new tires on it and hauled it up from Oregon to Washington to where I am currently stationed. I was overseas in '10-'12 and thought about getting a project when I got back. Took an additional 10 months to get to it. The ship I am on now has had major mechanical malfunctions so I spent way too many hours working on that and 2 emergency dry-docks in 6 months. I seriously thought I was going to get fired from my position because of all the nightmares. But, I walked into a shinny turd. Now, it's running awesome. Time to work on the '63. Image
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
foodstick

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by foodstick »

Very cool background story on the route to your truck !

You will soon find how simple, straight forward and reliable these trucks are with a little work. They are diamonds in the rough. I am surprised everyday how many more people are discovering them for the first time.

I am almost sure these were the best dollar for value truck ever built...
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

What are your plans, and what have you done so far? Welcome from Nevada!!!
Phil
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Nothing has been done quite yet... I got side lined with work and a medical issue. (been off work most of the week- had a tumor taken off my tongue.) :shock: came as a shock... started showing up in September what the dentist thought was a stress ulcer. Turns out not so... will find out soon if the oral surgeon got it all. He said he was only going to take a tiny biopsy the size of a pencil erasure. He took a huge piece out!. I'm 32, & don't smoke.
I am moving houses at the moment as well and will be over at the new house by the end of the month. The new house has a 1.5 car garage all to myself. :mrgreen:

I contacted a local upholstery shop and nearly fell over when they said to cover my basic bench seat.... $600.00! Freaking smoking crack! I was curious what was available because I am trying to envision which way I want to take this. Somewhat original stock/ or complete custom. Going to keep it somewhat original I guess. Going to change the paint as the exterior is light grey(originally driftwood) and the interior is red/white. Awful combo. I ordered samples from SMS upholstery in Oregon with a few 1963 Ford sedan materials. Vinyl and cloth. debating on exterior color of dark grey/black. Dark navy blue, grey. or wine red/cream color tan. Interior to correspond.

I have honestly only fixed one wire issue and replaced the battery.
Have plans on first removing the bed, cleaning up the frame and covering it in POR15. Fixing the suspension, rear brakes, replace battery tray, replace wheel bearings. That is the goal for the first 6 months. I also intend to put hydraulic steering in, replace the bed floor, possibly move the fuel tank to the bed rails. Leaving the 223 inline 6 and also three on the tree for now.

I've got two and a half years left at this duty station. I have so much to do, but also I have to keep it somewhat together in case I need to dump it into a storage unit in case I get shipped across country again. I will keep updating pictures as I get them. I'm on the bench at the moment... a few more weeks to go then I can break out the wrenches!
Hawk
United States of America

Post by Hawk »

Sounds like a good plan. I just recovered my seat with a kit from LMC. I think I was out about $200 and some time, and I was pleased with how it turned out.
66 Camper Special on 1990 F350 chassis with 7.3L IDI diesel and 5 speed
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Slamming on the breaks for a while.
Thursday I was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer on my tongue and neck. I'm not a smoker/or drinker. I'm 32 and otherwise healthy, so this is completely random. I did do time at a LORAN C station and the Middle East if its connected though. All future work is on hold until immediate treatment is thru.

Had to change plans and haul my 63 to a buddies house out near Kent, Wa for the time being.

It sucks, but it's happening. I will beat this!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I'm sorry to hear that and will pray for the best! Hang in there!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
HiBoy63
Ireland

Post by HiBoy63 »

Three year survivor of tongue cancer here if I can be of any assistance please let me know thru pm. Pull up your boot straps it can be beat and yes hang tuff.
1963 F250 4x4x292
1965 F100 4x4x352
1998 F150 4x4x4.6
2001 Sport Track 4x4x4.0

In case you are wondering thats Ireland......Freedom is not Free!!!!!!!!

Heritage country Flag
BiffWilley
United States of America

Post by BiffWilley »

WOW! Just read your post. So sorry to hear about this situation. Cancer is terrible, but you can and WILL be this crap! Keep the chin up and always keep swinging. Sooner or later your gonna land that knock out punch!

Keep us all updated man. Unfortunately most if not all of us on here have either first hand or know someone very close that has taken on this battle. Keep positive and now you got some time to really lay out some plans!

Never stop swingin!
Biff
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

shipwrecked wrote: It sucks, but it's happening. I will beat this!

Hang in there April , and kick it's ass. :2cents:

Danny
Hawk
United States of America

Post by Hawk »

Sorry to hear about your health, keep that positive attitude. I'll keep you in my prayers
66 Camper Special on 1990 F350 chassis with 7.3L IDI diesel and 5 speed
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

good Lord all I have done the last two weeks is go from one appointment to the other. Surgery is on the 7th, and I should get out of the hospital around the 14th. So far everything is going well. Nothing has spread further which is a good thing! Thank you all. I will be around... Not working on my truck, or on my ship for that matter. Looks like I am going to get shoved shoreside for a few years now. That is the hardest part.
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

I am truly sorry to hear about our health, but glad to hear it hasn't spread...I'm 32 as well so it really hit home when I read your post! Good luck with your surgery!
Phil
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

The pause button is inching closer to play! I just got off the phone with Montway vehicle transport company who I hired to ship my 63 out to New Jersey. When I moved here last summer I couldn't bring it with me due to several issues. Montway is loading it up on either Sunday or Monday. Expected delivery to my door on 1 or 2 February.

I originally took the first two weeks of Feb to go back to Oregon and visit family but my doctors appointment sidelined my trip since I had a Pet Scan two weeks ago and will see ENT for follow up on the 9th. I am doing a "stay-cation" here in Jersey to receive the truck. Originally was gonna do this in September coming up but of course the Coast Guard decided to transfer my buddy hanging on to my truck for me. Either way- I WILL have my truck back in my possession by next week after two years! Two weeks off of work and a garage.... May just tackle that rear wheel seal leak finally! My 86 year old neighbor is gonna never go home now! He is the best neighbor I've ever had. Full of so much knowledge and he loves tinkering on stuff.

23 months 2 weeks in remission. 7Feb makes two years!
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

April: That's some good news, and some GREAT news!!

And good neighbours are also a bonus, I am fortunate to have good neighbours on either side of me, makes all the difference!

Cheers!
James
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Loaded in WA on Monday afternoon. Expected delivery this coming Sunday/Monday sometime. I will graduate my recruit company on Friday so I should have time to clean up my garage Saturday in preparation for delivery.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

My truck was finally delivered today! I paid for a "non-running" vehicle cause it's stubborn and 52years old! Anyway, I was cheated. The delivery crew wouldn't deliver it on my road as it was required by our contract. I had to literally jog up the street (it's 22* and blowing 30mph). They started it up, backed it off the trailer. They damaged my truck. :x dented the hood, broke the whiper knob off and lost my mirror. Here are some pics and the video of them unloading it. I know it's dark... I was promised 4pm delivery.. It showed up at 9pm.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Oh and found this interesting stamp under the pain in the bed on the wheel well where the spare tire went. Dated 12/11/62. That's all I can make out.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Great to see you 2 reunited! Now the long process begins.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Last edited by shipwrecked on March 21, 2019, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.