my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by shipwrecked »

The bed has been removed from the frame, after a few hours of persuasion with a big f-ing hammer, wrenches, and of course a cutoff wheel on my grinders. I had to cut 6 of the 8 bolts, and had to cut the floor out a little to access the rear passenger bolt. Next step is stripping the paint and rust off to find where I need to do surgery.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Anything special about these shocks with springs? I need to replace them but in my research thru various parts stores, I see nothing with a spring cover. I'm not doing any heavy loads with this truck in the future!

If they are insignificant, then I will purchase regular shocks from a parts store. What do you think?

Also, I'm not prepared to do the job myself, but the differential at the wheel bearing is leaking and i need to get it repaired. If it's not going to be a serious job then maybe I could do it. I will look up some stuff online. But looking into a shop rebuilding the rear diff.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I think they are just and after-market item used as an attempt to increase the load capacity in the past.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Well, I have actually been working on my truck over the last two weeks that it has been here. Funny- I put a few videos on youtube so my dad and a good friend who was storing my truck for me can see progress and such. But at some point the last few days I was given a "shout out" by another youtuber and I all of a sudden have 20+ subscribers watching me do my thing.

I am not hounding for subscribers or anything like that- that doesn't motivate me. What I am doing is sharing my channel with you all if you wanted to see the progress(or lack of) I made so far. I didn't take many pictures while I was doing this- just a few video shots for dad and greg to see.

I am back to work after my two week vacation and promptly caught the crud which is as of this morning knocking me the heck down. a few weeks ago I had another visit with my ENT and was given the "looks good" results from my PET scan, but I am still on a two month followup to make sure I am staying cancer free.. There were two spots on my PET scan that prompted that- but the doc thinks they are saliva ducts working harder than before.

Anyway- here it is... https://www.youtube.com/user/CoastieReid/videos

Making a tiny bit of progress into destruction as I can.
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

25 subscribers now. :D

Nic
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I got the bed floor section out finally.
I have a bead blaster and am considering using it to start cleaning up the rest of it. I would prefer to take it to someone but I don't think there is anyone even close to make it worth the drive.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

You aren't messin around, making some good headway I see.
JOSHF100
United States of America

Post by JOSHF100 »

Doing a great job! :cheers:

Randall
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Thanks!

I broke my last spot weld cutter (made in china from HF). I still have a lot more to drill out.

I thought about driving an hour north up to HF and buying another one.... I would probably spend like 200 on stuff and I am not sure I would want to do that right now. The Continuing Resolution for Department Of Homeland Security only is for a week and if Congress doesn't quit playing with my paycheck like a pawn in a game, I don't know if I am getting paid the 15th. I sure have to keep working though!

The next step in bed deconstruction is cleaning off the wheel wells, putting a little weld thru primer on it and re-welding the center braces back on. I have to straighten one of them somehow... You see the picture above of how bent it is... I am not sure how to fix that. It appears something very heavy was dropped on the bed in its lifetime. I may cut a few relief cuts into it, and then re-weld it up. Then place some flat stock along that portion to help strengthen it.

Once that is done, I will work on removing the forward brace to replace with square tubing. I will also make my patterns for the corner flat pieces and get those to the machine shop at work to help me bend them.(Hoping the GS employee is getting paid too, otherwise he won't be allowed to work till the budget is finalized).
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

You're making great progress. Thanks for the update, I just now subscribed on Youtube
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Looking great....you're getting it knocked out. Great Job!
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I finally got a few days off in a row! I picked up an 8 week recruit company in early March and ran that till 1May. Then a few days later, I picked up our 3 week reservist program (select prior service& policeman types go through this). Anyway, they are off and graduated and I spent a few days working in the garage.

I moved my truck around in the yard every so often to keep from killing my grass, but the sun and lack of rain did a good job of killing it in my place.

This is the front driver side corner piece of the bed. I flattened it out to get a pattern.

This is one of the two replacement panels I got made. I went to work and talked to a guy at the central supply who is a very skilled machine shop/metal worker. He was very nice to help and I suspect he is wanting to help some more. More than welcome the assistance!

This is one of the panels just clamped into place.

We also made some Z channel pieces to go on the bottom portion of the forward bulkhead. Mine were severely rotted through. I just made some measurements and clamped these in place for some pre-weld fitment and tests.
I need that forward bulkhead finished before I can really put the corner pieces in. That would also help stabilize the bed sides.

I did a few youtube videos for this project and a few people have been subscribing here and there. I think it is pretty cool that people do that sort of stuff.. I watch all kinds of youtube videos of people working on their projects so I can learn.

In one video I showed how I straightened out my center cross brace. It was bowed from too much weight being put in the bed at one time in it's 52 year life. I used the engine hoist and a strap. Start it at minute 3 to see that.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I saw where you are killing HF spot weld cutters. I finally broke down and bought Blair brand cutters as a kit of 3. No comparison. I drilled more spot welds out in 15 minutes with the Blair than I did with a handful of HF cutters in a week. Cheapest I have found them is on Amazon. I also bought 6 spare cutters since I'm just getting started with a big window conversion, wanted to have spares on hand after I saw how great they worked.

http://www.amazon.com/Blair-Equipment-1 ... eld+cutter

Keep up the good work!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

did a little blasting last night and just coated with primer to keep rust at bay. I am still working slowly at this project.

picking up a projected 113 recruits friday afternoon so I am about to get real busy!

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

today is the Coast Guards 225th birthday. I went to work, played kickball against recruits who were half my age and the Company Commander team beat them. We even let them have one extra person in the in-field.
We had to forfeit the second game due to a collision with two players and resulted in one broken ankle.(not mine, but it had to hurt!)

It was 95* and humid- so I didn't spend a ton of time out there. I was melting.

Went home- started tearing into the rear differential. This is where I am at with it right now. I will be working on it some more when I get home tomorrow.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

After talking with the spring shop- they told me it was going to actually cost 450.00 to redo the old springs after looking at the ones I had originally. Screw that... Bought brand new ones from National Parts Depot for the 600 something bucks. They came directly from Eaton Springs and have bushings in them already. I got worried as only one spring was delivered at a time and my order status in the NPD website wasn't updated to reflect the shipment. 4 days later the second spring showed up.

Had a little rain storm last night and the springs were on the back garage porch. Well, immediate surface rust this morning I am going to have to clean off and then prime/paint.
Just add to the list of to do on my limited free time this week.
I am now up to 102 recruits as I gained 2 more and lost one to medical related issue. They are still so very "civie" it drives me up the wall. Have worked 72 hours in 5 days.

I dropped my rear differential off at a shop to have the center section rebuilt- only a tiny little bit of pitting- nothing compared to the east coast metal the shop owner showed me. He had a huge warehouse FULL of old bronco parts and a few pieces to slicks. I sat and talked to the guy for over an hour and he was grinning ear to ear that I knew stuff about these trucks. All I know I learned from you guys!

I dropped off those steel wheels (and a 5th one the bronco shop guy sold me) to be powder coated. I chose a color called "Red Baron" and I will pick those up sometime this week. The hub caps (4) are being coated white and I will paint or vinyl sticker the ford letters in red onto them.

Here is the new springs in the raw.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Bought these wheels from a guy in Delaware two weeks ago, and bought a 5th one from the Bronco guy in Wilmington. They were painted yellow when I got them, and the yellow paint was leaving the wheels fast as chalk rubbing off a blackboard.

I brought them up to a powder coat shop near Phili and they put a coat of Red Baron on them for me. The caps- not sure what color grey it is yet, but I like it!

mock up of the new spring pack in the shackle and hangers. Image
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

spent the morning working on removing the old bushing sleeve from the shackles. I had to take a saw zall to this piece and a cold chisel to push it out.

sprayed some primer on the new u-bolts for the leaf springs.

sprayed some primer on the new leaf springs as well.

was really thinking of painting the leafs Rangoon Red like the axle and the drive shaft.... but- now Im wondering if I should paint them a gloss black... hmmmm... I have Wednesday off of work and time on my hands.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Wheels look great April. Powder coating makes 'em shine like new money!
The caps look like an Argent silver to me. Are they powder coated too? TR
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I got a phone call yesterday after i posted this that the caps aren't done. apparently they only put primer on them. I need to bring the caps back to get them powder coated. they had a miss communication between workers and boss. So tomorrow is my day off and i gotta drive them an hour up and drop them off. i don't have anther day off till the end of next week.. ugh.

Though- I have to pass by a harbor freight... i am seriously considering getting a table top blast cabinet.... I made such a huge mess with the media blasting last week that i have small parts i need to do... just a thought.
My garage is such a mess and running out of room now :)