'62 Unibody Still Plugging Along

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Truckrat
United States of America

Re: '62 Unibody Still Plugging Along

Post by Truckrat »

Steve, What is the Wagner Paint Eater that you used on the Uni bed side to
clean it up. That thing worked great. Where would I get one? Is it the same outfit
that make the Wagner Power Painter. Available at hardware stores and home centers? TR

Well I found one at an Ace hardware store yesterday and picked it up.
Can't wait to try it out after the sun gets over in the west this evening.
Too hot for that stuff right now. TR
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Spent a few minutes yesterday working on inner fenders. First I used up a few partially worn out Wagner Paint Eaters and cleaned the inners. Welded up all the unnecessary holes and patched a small rust spot (tried the Eastwood organic weld thru primer, worked pretty good). Ground everything back smooth. Couple hours of hammer and dolly work and here's where I'm at. Nothing more than a little skim coat of mud. This is the stock left one.

Gotta' love clean, straight sheetemetal! This is the modified right one, it's basically to the same stage but will need a bit more hammer and dolly work to cut down the amount of filler needed in the area where I spliced the 2 inner fenders together. It also had a bit more rust repair to the back edge (under the hood hinge) so need a bit more work in that area. Tomorrow we finish with the hammers and start mud on these 2 parts!

Here's the results of the trip to Oklahoma to meet up with Gary, a new grille!

The Wagner Paint Eater does a really good job. It leaves the perfect "tooth" for filler. If you are going to prime, hit it quick with a DA and it will take a bit of the edge off things. Works great and you can use them until they are almost gone before the edge starts hitting the metal. If you look at the floor in the grill pictures, you will see 3 used up Paint Eaters. That is what I have used to do moth box sides, top rail of box, part of 1 door, cowl on both sides and all the trim holes I filled. They last a long time and do a really nice job. If you can't tell, I really like these things. They actually do what they claim they will do!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i looked those discs up at work the ace website said $12.99 each looks like a lot of work done for the 2 jacksons so next time i go past the store ill definitely be picking up a few
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I looked around and found these after reading about the paint eaters:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00755 ... ailpages00

Same price, but have a metal base so you won't break them installing them on your grinder.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Haven't tried one of those yet.

The only base I had a problem is the one I tried to force to go on further than it wanted to. Never had a single problem with any of the others. I had to put a wrench on the shank while tightening it to break it.

All the other brands I've tried glazed over and didn't self clean like the Paint Eater does. Even on rust, same deal. Where I had some surface rust to clean I tried the other brands I had and they just glazed over again with rust residue, the Paint Eater just kept going until they were completely worn out.

I just love something that does what it claims it will!

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Yeah Those Things Work Great! I Use Them On Old Bike Frames, Much Cheaper Than Sandblasting...
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Well, since it's a nice cool 96* and 100% humidity (and it's not even raining), I decided to start some body work. The inner fenders are both clean and the hammer and dolly work is done. Little bit of Kitty Hair (Note to Greg: no actual kitties were used in the making of this product....that I can tell) first then some Rage Gold on top of that. Nothing more than 1/8" thick except in one small area of the inner fender made from 2 different ones. There is a place on it that the mud is closer to 1/4" but it only runs for a couple inches. Thought it was closer than that but I guessed wrong. Don't tell anyone, OK?

Sorry, the camera was in Hobby Hell (AC running in there) and it kept fogging over while I tried to take pictures.

Try to get out early in the morning to get a coat of epoxy primer on them before it gets too hot. Gotta' love Iowa summers!

SPark

kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

That right side inner fender looks so much better without the battery box drop down.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Semi-finished inner fenders! the filler work is done and epoxy primer on. Came out pretty decent. High humidity this week hasn't helped anything. I really like the looks of the right inner with the rounded area below the old battery tray and think it was worth the work in the end. Finally made the right decision on that area. Next time these will be worked on will be high build primer and getting ready for final paint.

The front ends of the fenders/upper valance don't line up worth a crap. That's an area that will take some work further down the road. Considering extending the front edge of the fenders since the grill and upper curves line up so nice and then nothing fits at the grill/fender/valance area. Got some time to think about this before going much further.

Did a test fit of everything back on the front end. The gravel shield came out pretty good also. It had 5 different holes drilled in it that needed filled. In all, I think I filled around 80 holes so far. Previous owners apparently felt the need to mount a lot of things in the past. Couple shots of the mock up of the front end with my "new" grill I got from Gary. He supplied a great grill and headlight surrounds. Thanks, Gary!

Anyone with a good front bumper that's for sale let me know. I've looked at 6 or 8 so far and all were bent. I want to do some mods to it so paint/chrome condition isn't important. The chromers said they can straighten it but I don't really want to ship it to them, have it stripped and straightened, ship it back for modifications then do the hole process again. Would just be easier to start with a straight original. This one isn't real bad but it has dents around the mounting holes that make the mounting area stick out further than the rest of the bumper.

Again, Gary, THANKS FOR THE GRILL!

SPark

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

very nice work
im sure you know ford made these, either you could not find a good one or yours is somehow different
there is actually a couple differnt configurations of the inner fenders i had a big pile of them and if you set them beside each other then you could see

1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Brian, mine is not something they offered. Mine has the hump at the back like a big truck but also has the inward hump at the front like a common pickup. What I didn't like about the big truck inner for the right side is it follows the frame rail at front and doesn't bulge towards the engine like the pickup inners do. I combined the two to get mirror images left and right.

Notice the line of the big truck inner along the bottom (left edge in this picture) is perfectly straight front to back

Now notice the line of the pickup inner along the bottom (left edge again in this picture) has a bulge at the front edge

This is the big truck back attached to the pickup front, now it looks right to me and it's an inner that Ford never made that I've seen anywhere.

SPark

kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Steve, I am probably going to create more work for you. The left inner fender doesn't have a tail on it that goes under the firewall like the passenger side does. I made a piece and welded it onto mine so that it would match the passenger side. It looks proper on that side now to match.
I can't find any pics of that to show you the difference. If you are using a clutch in your truck, that probably won't work.

Kevin
kstones63
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I've looked at that but always forget to look why they did that. Is it like that to clear the dimmer switch? Since you noticed it, I'll have to go ahead and fix that, too.

SPark

kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I am not sure why Ford didn't make that fender go under the firewall. I was wondering if the clutch linkage was in the way. There wasn't anything in the way on mine so I added the piece to it. I thought that it would look better matching.
Sorry to make more work for you. :oops:

Kevin
kstones63
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Progress has been slow this week so far. We spent the weekend looking at new cars for Dianne. Think she finally made up her mind and that whole process should be done with Friday morning.

Spent a couple hours working on the firewall and playing with the reverse tilt hood kit parts. The hood kit is nice, thanks Kevin!

Although it doesn't look like much, this is the results of about 2 hours time this morning (between car deal phone calls). Welded a few holes shut (and caused a fire in all the tender down in the cowl drains). Couple gallons of water misted in with an air hose finally (I hope) stopped the smolder in the debris.

Can you spot the modifications to the firewall/cowl area? It's not a big thing but it's this type of detail that can really make you look twice at something. After the firewall is media blasted I will weld all the seams and blend it all together so it's nice and smooth.

This is what Dianne ended up with after a few months of shopping/complaining/backing out and finally making her decision.

SPark

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Started on the tonneau cover today. I figured a simple frame that was supported at installed height gave me a better chance to work on a hinge design. Got it tacked together today. I've decided you need a lot of clamps to do about any custom work. The frame is raised off the bed rails 5/32 of an inch to allow for some sealing foam to be used on the bottom side of the cover. The bows across the center all have a slight crown to them to get rid of water (in case it rains inside my shop, since I'll never get this thing done and outside at this rate!).

SPark

Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Steve,
Good thing you retired,no way working guys could pull off a build like yours.You gonna drive it to Salina?
Dan
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Steve, I was glad that grill went to a good home, especially your truck.
Think it will look awesome once you are done with it. Said it before and will say it again, you are my Fab Guru. So many trick ideas on this truck I am excited
to see what you do next. Glad that I could help you with part of it. TR
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Dan, I hope to have it in Salina. Actually not that much left to do.....except everything! I pretty much own everything to finish it except door and window rubber, carpet and paint. Just need to concentrate.

Thanks for the grill Gary, it's perfect for what I want to do.

SPark

The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

The inner fenders look excellent, nice work! I think I'd be tempted to run the truck hoodless to show 'em off. :)