'62 Unibody Still Plugging Along

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bird55
United States of America

Re: '62 Unibody Still Plugging Along

Post by bird55 »

Looks great! like the inner fender work.
I've always wanted to see raised ridges running the length of a bed cover. Sorta like on some station wagon tops or the tailgate of a 55-57 Nomad. They could be subtle though. Easy for me to say, it would be a ton of work!

Didn't the 57 Del Rio wagons have something like that on the top?
cnb

Post by cnb »

i have a question about the fender install. i see you used new hardware, does your truck have a small bracket that bolts between the fender with two bolts and to the the cab firewall with one bolt? if soo do you remember whats size anbd thread the bolt going to the firewall is? i cant seem to find mine from disassembly and need to find new ones
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Well, been off this project too long. Got gas to the shop but couldn't seem to get a furnace guy to show up and take my money all winter. Not much accomplished last winter.

Got the Speedway Motors '34 Ford 4 bar kit modified and ready to go in though. I started with a triangulated 4 bar kit because that was what I thought I wanted to put in. After doing more research, I decided to do a parallel 4 bar instead. That meant shortening or extending 2 bars so all 4 bars were the same length. Cut the 2 short bars and added about 4.5" to each of them. Figured the longer bars would give a nicer ride, less roll steer and just be smoother overall.Nobody local had any 1" OD x 5/8" ID DOM tubing of could even get me any for that matter. Finally found a steel supply joint online that had it. They also had 5/8" OD so I could sleeve it and add plug welds. Everything cut, spliced, welded and ground down again. Now have 4 bars the same length. Going to attempt to modify the front mounting brackets from the'34 kit to work with the unibody frame. If that doesn't work we'll just make some out of steel bar stock!

Since I changed to parallel 4 bar, I had to have new rearend mounts. The triangulated setup only mounts the lower bars, parallel setups mount top and bottom bars. Ordered a set of the parallel brackets from Speedway instead of trying to modify what I already had.

Since I went parallel 4 bar, I need some sort of panhard bar. Went with a bolt on setup from Speedway. Center bolts to the pinion support and outer end bolts to welded brackets on the frame/boxing plates. Should be a pretty clean install.

Looking at air bags and coilovers. I really don't want to add the clutter of an air system so I'm leaning heavily towards coilovers. I have a ton of experience with them from my racing days. I have no need to change my ride height once it's set so it will probably be coilovers. Liking the QA1 adjustable shock setup the best right now. Once I get it all tacked into the truck I can weigh the back half of the truck and measure my mount centers and order the correct stuff.

Before I roll under the rearend and start on the actual 4 bar installation, I need to strip the front back off and swap the motor mounts from Mustang style (horizontal thru bolt, what's on it now) to truck style (simple stud mount). Then new frame mounts and finish the steering shaft. That's where I quit last fall.

Also got a set of Kevin's beautiful step plates this winter. Fit perfect and look fantastic. Kevin's the man! Can't wait to finish the floor so I can put them down.

I know it's a bowtie but the main room of my garage had heat so I did get the '55 running this spring. New Hurst Comp Plus shifter, Hooker Competition headers with a NOS set of Walker Blue header mufflers, billet Pertronix distributor, matching coil, old school chrome pulleys, mounts and fan, new aluminum radiator and a good core support. I've been telling some of the guys I've talked to this winter that it almost seems criminal. Open the book, order the parts and bolt them on when they show up. Too easy. Get some brakes on it and it will be drivable which will help with the unibody since the '55 has to be moved to get the uni out to go to the blasters this spring. Method to my madness! Since these pics were taken I've added a Lokar gas pedal and cable. Great setup that simply bolts in place. Too easy! Also added all ne lighting since it's cheaper than buying and restoring original parts. All USA made, GM licensed stuff. Wish they did this stuff for our trucks!

1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Looking great,Steve, the coil-overs will make a clean set-up. Still hashing out whether to go with bags or spend the coin for a set of Shockwaves. I have no experience with them, and have enough coil-overs and components to do as needed. I don't NEED a road-duster, but it might be nice to have that capacity. Same thoughts, though; then it's finding room for the air systems and controls. The gasser is probably moving up the list anyway, since it should be a low-budget, low effort build! Well, OK, sorta!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Dakota Kids

Post by Dakota Kids »

Steve did you go with the Pan Hard Bar? I am going to go with the Watts Link set up to allow the rear end to drop evenly. The Pan hard bar tends to drop it off to one side. Just wondering what you ended up with. This looks a lot like my Garage we are building a 72 Comet for my son Cam. Pm me if you need any Maverick Parts.
If you ask me anything I don’t know, I’m not going to answer.
Yogi Berra
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I'm using the panhard bar located on the pinion retainer. Didn't want to mess with the extra room and moving parts of a Watts Link. I figure the scrub won't be that bad on a normally driven street vehicle. It can be minimized by mounting it just barely above horizontal and keeping it as long as possible.

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Well, getting mad at/disliking the motor mount/header/steering shaft situation last winter stopped me until I figured out a better solution. What I had worked OK, but the steering column wasn't exactly where I wanted it in the cab, the frame stands I made looked horrible and I just wasn't happy with it.

Fired up the torch today and wacked all the frame stands off. Took off the old Mustang style motor mounts and put the truck style in. Started on this last week but my torch decided not to work. It's a year old Hobart (Victor style setup). Never was impressed with it. It's back in a box now. Bought a new Miller/Smith Toughcut kit yesterday. Like it much better, cuts great, adjusts solidly and just feels better in your hands. Got them all cut off, the welds cleaned up and ready for the new engine stands.

Left side stand goes around the steering shaft. Shaft has the support bearing install finished with the clamp collars in place. Steering column is solidly mounted and at the correct angle. Very smooth steering. Headers clear better on the actual motor mounts, too.

Right side was a lot easier, no steering shaft to contend with.

Planning gussets front and back when the engine comes back out next week.

Don't panic about the crappy welds. My old MIG is acting up. Need a gun liner, maybe a new gun and......well, I think it's just getting worn out! It's done more than could ever be expected of it. Seems to do fine with thinner wire but not liking to push the heavier wire and seems to be down on penetration strength. Guess it got jealous of the new torch, looks like a new MIG is in the future now.

Next it's on to pulling the engine/tranny and starting the rebuilds. Rip out the interior (what there is) and swap the big window section into the cab.

Later
SPark
Last edited by LM14 on April 6, 2016, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I recently got a new gun with 15' cable/hose off ebay. It was a great investment. Solved my erratic wirefeed issues for under $100.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

MIG rebuilt! Gun liner seems to have fixed it. We'll see. Still considering a new 220V unit. Have to convince the wife still. Ask for permission or beg forgiveness? Hmmm......

No pics today. Started tearing the 390 apart for rebuild. Got 2 C6 trannys ready to go to the rebuilders. One is from a Mustang GT (has a cracked case) and another is from a T-Bird (running when pulled). Will let the tranny expert choose what to do with each one. That's why he's the expert.

Ordered carb kits and getting ready to pull the trigger on a Pertronix Flame Thrower II billet distributor, coil and wires.

So far the short block looks decent. No ridge, it's already 040 over. Next off the pan comes off and the bottom end comes apart.

Later,
SPark

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Stumbled across a 1967 running 390/C6 last night. Headed down to get it Saturday morning (don't worry Paul, it's not a rust free engine from Texas ;) ). Will be able to throw it in the truck and drive it while building the "good" engine this winter. Moving the project along this way. Shooting for Slick Stock so this lets me concentrate on the body/chassis stuff and get some things done.

Stay tuned!
SPark

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Turns over nice and free, tranny fluid looks decent, oil is a little dark but it's got no moisture in it. It's been sitting under a bench for the last year in a plumber's shop. Bought it for his '58 1/2 ton panel then found a recently rebuilt 410 so I got this for core costs. Says it came from a 1970 3/4 or 1 ton van. It has a Ford Motor Company rebuilt tag stamped 390 2V. All the casting/engineering numbers are '67 and '68. His uncle ran a wrecking yard and pulled it for him from a running wreck they picked up. As the old saying goes, they drove it to the wreck, it must be good! Need to pull the valve covers and pan (to swap the 4x4 pan on) and will find out more. If nothing else, I have another core!

Now back to finishing the frame work, get that big window section in place and getting it to media blast.

SPark

JPaynter
United States of America

Post by JPaynter »

Very nice craftsmanship.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

"Plumber"? "drove down?" Man, I can't believe you are raiding the Aussies now!
Is it going to make SS?
I wish I had done likewise, and just dropped in one of my stockers for now. Every move I make currently requires more time, more machining, and more money!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

It's all April's fault! She has shamed me into getting off my lazy but and getting back to work in the garage.

I swapped the Maverick shell for a rolling pro street Fairmont. The Fairmont has an Alston tube chassis, Art Morrison suspension and coilovers, a narrowed 9" and came with a spare body for trim pieces, etc. Now I have a place to hang my NOS 1989, 15x3 and 15x14 Weld Zero Drag wheels sitting in the rack. Thinking stroker Clevor/AOD/302 Boss tunnel ram (happen to have a brand new 302 Boss tunnel ram sitting here and they make adaptor plates for the Boss intake to 4bbl heads on a Clevor).

Also made a quick trip to Omaha to get a second cowl panel from Jeff (Pickupmn). I don't plan to drive in the rain. I hate Slick wipers. Clean some clutter off the dash, make some more under dash room for the AC and smooth up the cowl a bit. Stay tuned.

Been cleaning a ton, need 5 tons more but there has been progress. At least I'm back in the garage and have the junk moved from around the truck and back to where I can work on it!

Later,
SPark

foodstick

Post by foodstick »

As big of a fan as I am for the overall Slick design.. the windshield wipers are like a 1930's era quality....
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

If there is one true advantage to a club like this it is the way guilt/inspiration/teasing from others CAN make you catch fire...
There is almost always someone with the FEVER, right now thats SHIP/April... and its easy to catch when you see someone else getting stuff done.

For those of you that have never finished a build yet the amazing thing is this.. once its all torn down and cleaned and painted its amazing how fast it goes back together if you still have all the parts and recall where they go !

When you are really motivated ,DO THE HARDEST PART you still have left, it goes much easier that way.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

If Im to blame for you getting some slick work done- then I accept that responsibility! :) Keep it up and post pics! All it takes is a few minutes at a time and you can get a lot done.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I was just checking threads and thought Where is the Shipsters updates? then I find her egging on the competition here ;)
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I had a tough week with little assistance at work, a long ago shipmate is in town so i had been hanging out with him and a few of his shipmates. I updated again today. Not much tomorrow as I have to work.

just stirring the pot! :mrgreen:
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Another step forward! Found these on Craigslist last night. They are new in the boxes, the length and spring rate I need for cheap (comparatively speaking). I got 18 position adjustable compression/rebound threaded aluminum body shocks, springs, mounts and all the hardware for $400 ($155 less than Speedway or $100 less than Summit/Jegs sells them for). That gives me everything for the 4 bar rear suspension!

Also drove thru the country 240 miles each way to pick them up and had a really disappointing day of spotting cool junk! Saw basically nothing interesting along the way.

Parts is parts!

SPark