66 Ranger clone

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Jerry T
United States of America

66 Ranger clone

Post by Jerry T »

I have been gathering parts to make my 66 a Ranger clone.
I bought the seat brackets a couple of years ago. Then found some seats about a year ago.
I got my console mounting brackets, fuel tank curtain brackets, and the 2 square washers for the underside of the cab on the inside rear seat brackets from Bill W. They look great.
I also found a set or Ranger inserts on E-bay
I have the seats mounted, the tank curtain brackets installed, and drilled the rest of the holes for the curtain.
I have to get a console now. Bill also sent me a template on where to cut a falcon console to fit. It will be a while before I start to build the truck. The main thing right now is to gather all the parts. I also have everything to put power stearing, brakes, and discs on the front. It already has air and a automatic transmision.
Leeroy
Australia

Re: 66 Ranger clone

Post by Leeroy »

Shortbed with a toolbox! I like I like!

Keeping all everything else the same on the truck and just a ranger upgrade? Or other mods planned?
Jerry T
United States of America

Post by Jerry T »

Thanks Leeroy'
I am planing on keeping the body stock looking. It already has a 428 cobra-jet with 3-2's and a c-6. It came with a automatic transmision, extra gauges in the dash, and dealer installed air. I have a delux heater to go in it, plus power steering and brakes, disc brakes to put on the front and bigger brakes of a 77 f-150 for the rear.
totten
United States of America

Post by totten »

Looks like a nice truck with alot of upgrades to do. The 428fe and 3-2 with c6 nice combo. Tony
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
Jerry T
United States of America

Post by Jerry T »

Thanks, Tony
totten
United States of America

Post by totten »

Jerry, any progress? Pics please.
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
Jerry T
United States of America

Post by Jerry T »

Making some changes with my Ranger clone. I have a 66 Camper Special that I was trying to sell.
The cab doors,and bed are rust free other than surface rust. and very straight. I bought it from the granddaughter of the original owner. I have a 3/4 ton that was my fathers. The only bad spot was some rust in the front of the bed.
So I decided to do some swapping. Starting with changing beds on the 2 3/4 tons. Since there was no rust in the bed of the Camper Special.
Now on to my Ranger clone. When I bought it 20 something years ago it still had the factory baby blue/white paint and fairly straight. Now it is starting to need some attention. It has some rust in the cab corners and some minor rust in the floor pans that was fiberglassed when it was painted years ago.
The black truck has as close to perfect cab and doors as you will find. Sooooooooooooo
I have to check my fenders over good, I think one of them has some filler. I have a pair of good fenders so as long as its going to be multi colored I will swap them if needed. Using this cab I am thinking about going black now, instead of back crimson and white. I am going to put the red cab back on the Camper Special frame, fix the right fender, and then prime it and sell it. It will still make a nice truck. I have repainted the firewall on the red cab.
Now in the process of cleaning the motor and frame on the black truck, so I can spray them and set the cab back on.
It still has the original 352 and com trans. with the cooler on the side, instead of in the radiator. When I get the cab back on it's frame I can start swapping out the seats and other interior pieces.
Jerry T
United States of America

Post by Jerry T »

Finally got time to do a little to my clone. Got the seats, console, and tank curtain brackets installed. I found a Ford a/c unit that I have mocked up. I have to make some brackets for it. It looks so much better than the Thermo King that it had in it. Now if I can sell the Camper Special I can get the power steering and disc brakes on it, and get it back on the road again.
Jerry T
United States of America

Post by Jerry T »

Finally got back to work on the clone. I used 77 F-150 drums, brake shoes, wheel cylinders, and backing plates with my 66 housing and axles. Then used 77 spindles calipers and rotors on my 66 I beams. The colum and power steering box are from a 72. I had to swap mounting brackets for the colum, ( used one from a old 3 spd, Didn't mess up the factory automatic one.) The booster is from a 77 1 ton ( to clear the valve covers.) and master cylinder and proportioning valve is 77 F-150( had to slot the mounting holes to work with the booster. Here are some pics.
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

Wow, looks like you have one heck of a collection of slicks. Any more photos/details on the '66 4x4?
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Can you make several good pictures of your A/C brackets? I want to fab some that look original. I am putting air in my 65 Ranger, I have the correct evaporator unit already.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Jerry T
United States of America

Post by Jerry T »

o4sd
I have a build posted on the 4x4. Here is the link. It is on a 78 F-150 frame and running gear.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21907[url][/url]
Jerry T
United States of America

Post by Jerry T »

Michelle,
Which brackets do you want to see? the compressor brackets, the brackets for the actual unit under the dash, or both?