64 SWB 5.0 M5R2 swap begins

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Eallen66
United States of America

Re: 64 SWB 5.0 M5R2 swap begins

Post by Eallen66 »

We finally got the carb dialed in and working. It was sucking air through the secondaries at idle. I figured it out when I put my hand over the secondaries and the rpm dropped at idle. We took it off and adjusted the butterflies on the shaft and was able to adjust the idle mixture for the first time. Here is a short video of it running. It is has an Erson Street Fighter cam, 280/290 duration, .473/.496 lift. The same grind is available from Isky, Melling, and numerous who slap their name on it.
Last edited by Eallen66 on April 29, 2014, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

Sounds pretty healthy! What diameter of exhaust tubing did you end up running on it with the Flowmasters?
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Eric, just a little info for future reference. Those are not 64 Fairlane mounts. 64 uses a stud out the bottom. They are of 66-up vintage, however, they look tall to me. If you ever want to try to lower the engine, take a look at 66-67 Fairlane mounts. They use that thru-bolt style mounting and may be shorter.

Nice build by the way and GREAT recovery on the speedo gear !

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Eallen66
United States of America

Post by Eallen66 »

Thanks for the compliments.

simonscr wrote:Sounds pretty healthy! What diameter of exhaust tubing did you end up running on it with the Flowmasters?

Simon, we went with 2 1/4" exhaust.

fanatic wrote: Those are not 64 Fairlane mounts. 64 uses a stud out the bottom. They are of 66-up vintage, however, they look tall to me. If you ever want to try to lower the engine, take a look at 66-67 Fairlane mounts. They use that thru-bolt style mounting and may be shorter.

Tim, thanks for the tip. The humorous thing is I just looked after you mentioned it & Advanced Auto where I got them from lists the same mount for 64-67 Fairlane 289. Of course after getting 2 other mounts that would not work I did my scientific approach & I finally just started asking for years in the 60's & looked at the pic they had & grabbed the first one that looked right. :mrgreen: They and Auto Zone also listed the wrong rear seal for the M5R2 for f150 so I had to get one for a T-bird with an M5R2. The best price on the wrong part everyday.
Eallen66
United States of America

Post by Eallen66 »

For my son's 19th birthday yesterday we added a few more pretties to his 5.0 where we had reused factory to save money. The new tall Edelbrock finned aluminum valve covers and 4" Specter air cleaner helped drastically. The air cleaner required a 2"" spacer on top of the carb to clear the HEI distributor.

A note on the tall Edelbrocks is an almost impossible design to get the top rear driver's side and top front passenger side bolt in. In this case we used studs with nuts but it was impossible to get a wrench or socket on them to tighten them down and had to resort to a needle nose vice grips. Allen head cap screws would have been the only viable option in retrospect.

We also swapped out the 600 Edelbrock carb for a 600 Holley 4160 that has proven to be much less finicky.

ImageImage
Last edited by Eallen66 on December 14, 2014, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

Looks nice! Did you guys get that oil leak figured out?
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
Eallen66
United States of America

Post by Eallen66 »

simonscr wrote:Looks nice! Did you guys get that oil leak figured out?

Thanks Simon. It appears 99% of the oil leak was from the passenger side rear intake corner. There is a slight indent along the rear head gasket and it was running down that crevice and off the rear bottom of the head without ever being visible or wet on the block behind the intake or head until it hit the air stream. It still has a periodic drip from the bottom of the belhousing starter plate area. It is not enough to bother hunting for.
Greg Rogers
United States of America

Post by Greg Rogers »

Hi Eric. Just found your thread on the m5r2 swap. Great job. I am putting a 85 300 6 with a 92 m5r2 in a 56 f100. I love the way you drilled out the tailshaft housing and modified the tailshaft. It was unfortunate your phone battery was dead when you modified the tail shaft. Did you order the gear that goes on the shaft? Thanks in advance for your help. Greg.
Eallen66
United States of America

Post by Eallen66 »

Greg Rogers wrote:Hi Eric. Just found your thread on the m5r2 swap. Great job. I am putting a 85 300 6 with a 92 m5r2 in a 56 f100. I love the way you drilled out the tailshaft housing and modified the tailshaft. It was unfortunate your phone battery was dead when you modified the tail shaft. Did you order the gear that goes on the shaft? Thanks in advance for your help. Greg.
Sorry for taking a year to answer. A new meaning to slow! Dont get on any more. I did order the gear but it has been so long I have no idea what it was or where I got it. The transmission has been a daily driver with about 25,000 miles since altering it so that is a success. That said, if I has to do it over I would try to find a tras that didn't need to be altered.

Eric